Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How do you pack it? on: June 01, 2015, 05:05:08 PM
sdr

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »

As a bikepacking newbie I've spent many months here searching and reading what gear other people use, in preparation for my big trip. For bags I've decided to go with a Viscacha, Revelate handlebar harness, Revelate Handlebar Storage Pocket, frame bag and Salsa Anything Cages. I will not be using a backpack.

With all the reading I've done regarding other people's set ups, the one bit of information I'd like to know is how they pack. ie: what is going where?

I'm having these mini dilemmas such as; I've thought about putting the sleeping bag, pad and tent on the handlebar harness but I don't want to put a pack up a possible wet tent in with a dry sleeping bag.

Would love to hear how you pack.

Scott

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:34:21 AM
sbear55

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:34:21 AM »

My bar bag fits tent, sleeping bag, and pad.  Down bag goes in a compression dry sack first.

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:39:28 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:39:28 AM »

I put my sleeping gear in the bar bag - tent, sleeping pad and bag - so it is all in one place.  Like mentioned above, I do put the bag in its own dry sack, and then put that in a garbage bag.  I also put the tent in a separate garbage bag.  Haven't had a problem yet.

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
sdr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:37 PM »

What size dry sack you guys using for the sleeping bag?

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:03:53 PM
gdillon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

A wet tent with sleeping bag can be an issue, but there are so many factors to consider. For leisure trips I dry everything out before packing up but in fast tour mode, the tent/bivy is always wet at 5 am. My solution has been to pack the tent (tarptent rainbow) and sleeping pad (foam) in the bar bag, then stuff the sleeping layers between the pad and the bar bag. This is using a large sweet roll. On really bumpy terrain the bag does have quite a bit of play. For this scenario I put the sleeping bag separate in the seat bag. The solutions above using a drybag sound good for keeping it all together.

When I've used a harness system, it was with a sleeping bag/thermarest/sleeping layers all stuffed in a 13 liter e vent drysack, with a tarp stuffed elsewhere.

Find a way to pack your stuff at home without a high "cram it" factor and then you'll probably change how things are arranged from day to day based on needs.

One trick I really like if you have two roll closures on the bar bag is to put the rain jacket on one side and rain pants on the other. Easy access without messing with the balance.

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:45:44 PM
richpips

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »

Sleeping bag, mat and night clothes in a drybag on the bars.

What size dry sack you guys using for the sleeping bag?
13 Litre.

Food and tools in a frame bag - Quick to access.

Tent in a (non waterproof) seatpack, which may have extra food in depending on the trip.

Topic Name: How do you pack it? Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:40:30 AM
sdr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »

I appreciate all the input. Has been helpful in trying to figure out the best/most efficient packing options for me.

Would like to hear more about where bikepackers like to stow gear.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: