Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:21 PM
haagermeister

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:21 PM »

Hey there,

I recently bought a Surly Troll for an upcoming South America trip.  So far I really like it.  It is very comfortable and I think it will be a helluva climber.  That being said, I feel a bit awkward when trying to get into a low/aggressive position.  The seat feels high relative to the handlebars, and I feel much closer to the front compared to my old drop bar bike.  I'm wondering what some others have done in this situation.  I am wondering if putting a curved seat post on to push the seat back a bit might allow me to lower the seat but still have my legs relatively straight when at full extension.  I'm also not sure if this is just the difference of not having drop bars.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:08 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »

Put 700c wheels on it

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 05:18:59 PM
haagermeister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »

How is it that putting a larger wheel on it will make me feel lower on the bars and further back?

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:13 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:13 PM »

I feel a bit awkward when trying to get into a low/aggressive position.  The seat feels high relative to the handlebars, and I feel much closer to the front compared to my old drop bar bike.
That is a strange comment considering the Troll has a relatively high front. It sounds like you bought a size too small.

A setback seat post may help and perhaps a steeper angled stem.

You could also try shortening the handlebars

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 08:29:27 PM
haagermeister

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »

I'm not sure that it is too small as opposed to me just being more used to a road bike geometry where as this is a bit more like a mountain bike.  I find it really comfortable in most positions except when I'm trying to get forward and low.  I think you might be right about the handle bars.  I think one of the reasons it is uncomfortable is because I am used to drop bars which don't move the bike around as much with every little twitch.  Stem angle is a great idea.  Thanks

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:41:00 AM
pavementgraveldirt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:41:00 AM »

Can we get a pic of you on the bike and you on your road bike? or at least the bikes side by side? it might help

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:30:20 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »

I also prefer a more aggressive riding position, coming from road racing. Look at getting a setback seatpost, and maybe getting a longer stem? Do you stack the stem? Meaning putting all the spacers on top of the stem -- that will lower your front end position. I also use a long saddle, which gives me plenty of room to adjust position.

Topic Name: How can I make a troll feel a bit more like a road bike geometry Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:10 AM
white pass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »

I would try a longer stem first, and perhaps one with a lower angle before trying the seatpost. Moving the seat back will affect the efficiency and distance from the saddle to the pedals which might cause discomfort in your legs.

Not sure what length comes stock on your size troll but I had the same problem with my Fatback and moving up to a non-riser 90mm stem help a lot.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: