Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:09 AM
bikewright

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »

I am getting ready to do a Dirty Tour of the C&O Canal next week. I did a test ride with my tent on the handle bars. I had some issues with this setup. Hard to each the brake levers, could not use bar light,  shifter cables problems. Questions, what are you carrying on the bar? GPS, lights, sleeping bag.... How do you have the placement? How much weight? Pictures would be a plus.

Thanks

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:57 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »

I'd suggest you need to add a fixation point on the bottom of the bag- I just tie the bag to the junction of the DT/TT behing the HT.  Cinch this down in order to pull the bag down in relation to the rest of your equipage.

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:59 PM
Rob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:59 PM »

Sorry for the huge pic.  This is how I had it set up on my Enduro.

In this pic I had a 1 person tent body/fly and a sleeping bag. It's a XS Sea to Summit compression bag. 

In the next size up bag I can fit the tent body and fly, my Big Agnes Sleeping pad and a ultralight 40deg down sleeping bag. Mounted up the same way. 

On my new Stumpjumper FSR with 100mm stem I mount it this same way but I can now put the Garmin on the stem.

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:12 AM
bikewright

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:12 AM »

Thanks for the picture  thumbsup

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:13 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:13 AM »

I don't have a pic handy but, I carry my prolight pad under the bars, a Jandd Mountain Handle Pack on top, a GPS and 2 lights.

I made a sling that holds the pad under the bars similar to the commercial ones but not as beefy I mostly use that to hold it in place while I strap it on with a 2 foot strap and buckle. It is a tight fit when all set and done but it works out.

But do you really need a tent how long is it when stuffed, are you leaving the polls in? Could you get by with a tarp instead?

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:49 AM
bikewright

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »

The tent I have is a clip light and with everything it fits end-to-end with the brake levers. I think what I am going to try is a bivy bag. I have a gore tex  military one that should work fine. I could do a tarp, I will see what I can find at the backpacking store down the street at lunch.

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:37 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »

I would drop the tent and tarp camp I just got a new 8x10 mid weight nylon tarp and I plan to stop carrying the bivy. I think I can stay dry with the bigger tarp with no need for the bivy. The one down side to bivy's and tent's as well is moisture condensation. Tarps solve this problem quite nicely in my opinion. Campmore also has a more expensive and even lighter tarp that I might look at.

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:58 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »

I'm serious about the bottom connection.  
Rob, in your picture above- if you're descending tech singletrack, or just going off a curb, what stops the bag from bouncing up?  Is it just that you've got cinched down tight enough or does the "three way" of the strap across the stem combined with the two around the handlebars somehow brake each other?  
Sorry, I'm just curious.  I've tried strapping a similar dry bag to handlebars without a bottom connection and it freaking drove me crazy with the bouncing...

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:31 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »

Mike is right on there, I forgot that I have a down strap on the sling to help with the bouncing. I'll get some pics this weekend on the Coconino and post up next week.

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:25 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »

Cockpit setup for coconino 250:
Dual mountain feedbags
Dual led lights
GPS

All of my sleeping gear is in my CDW escape pod

Topic Name: Handle bar Set-ups Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:10:31 PM
Rob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »

I'm serious about the bottom connection. 
Rob, in your picture above- if you're descending tech singletrack, or just going off a curb, what stops the bag from bouncing up?  Is it just that you've got cinched down tight enough or does the "three way" of the strap across the stem combined with the two around the handlebars somehow brake each other? 
Sorry, I'm just curious.  I've tried strapping a similar dry bag to handlebars without a bottom connection and it freaking drove me crazy with the bouncing...

The compression strap from the bag around the stem cinched down keeps it up against the headtube.  The other two straps keep it from moving around and secure it.  It doesn't move at all.  I think also from the brake levers being on top of the bag it holds it in place even tighter. 

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: