Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Hammocks on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:30 AM
KootenayB

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »

Hammocks seem to be popular amongst the light backpacking crowd, although there is a love/hate thing going on with hammocks vs. tents vs. tarp tents vs. bivies etc.

The set up I'm considering is hammock and a siltarp-type tarp.  I'm not obsessed with weight issues, as the set-up I'm considering falls right in there weight-wise with a bivy and siltarp, tarp tents, and UL tent setups - at least close enough for my purposes.  I'm a fast tourer, not a real racer, so lightweight is important but not critical - comfort and versatility also important.

My use will be in British Columbia, Alberta, Montana (off pavement) for the most part.  Trees to setup with won't be an issue.  I want a siltarp for rain protection and gear comfort during multiday bikepacking trips.

I'm looking for firsthand real-life experiences that you may have had with hammocks.  The good, bad, and ugly is all welcomed.

Thanks

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:42:51 PM
ice-breaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »

A hammock with a bug screen is a must.  Three of my kids have been using Hennessy hammocks for about 5 or 6 years now and they love them, and would not go back to a tent.  The Hennessy hammocks come with a tarp, which could be a bit larger in size, but is functional. 

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:03:14 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »

If you want to go light, there are a number of good hammock options. I really like my Dutchware 11' hammock, which is great quality, made in the USA and reasonably priced for what you get.

Keep in mind that it doesn't need to be all that cold out in order to sleep cold in a hammock (for the very same reason they are so comfortable for sleeping in hot weather). An underquilt is really useful, if not a must, for nights that dip below 60ºF or so. A good down underquilt will be lighter than a sleeping pad, will pack down just as small (or smaller) and make all the difference on cool nights. I have a 'Phoenix 40' 3/4 underquilt from Hammock Gear that I really like for taking the edge off, even on mid-summer nights in the Rockies. I've used it down to freezing temps and been perfect comfortable in it with a good sleeping bag on top.

As far as suspension goes, there are a lot of different ideas that work. I really like using whoopie slings with tree straps. It's a very lightweight combo, easily adjustable and rock solid.

I find that in the West, bugs generally just aren't as much of an issue as they can be in the East. I live at 6200' in Idaho, and other than an early-summer mosquito season that last for a few weeks, there aren't many biting bugs to worry about. For that reason, I think that a bug net that just covers the part of you that won't be in a sleeping bag makes a lot of sense. It will be lighter and lot more packable than a net that covers the entire hammock. Check out this one from Arrowhead Equip: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p319/The_HUG_Half_Bug_Net.html

My entire setup, including hammock, suspension, underquilt and 8'x10' silynylon tarp (with stakes) comes in right at 3lbs:

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:08:15 PM
dh024

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »

My use will be in British Columbia, Alberta, Montana (off pavement) for the most part.  Trees to setup with won't be an issue.  I want a siltarp for rain protection and gear comfort during multiday bikepacking trips.

I'm looking for firsthand real-life experiences that you may have had with hammocks.  The good, bad, and ugly is all welcomed.
I love my hammock setup, so much that sometimes I set it up in the basement just to get a really good night's sleep. It is more comfy than our expensive bed. That's the biggest advantage of a hammock, in my opinion - but your mileage may vary as some people don't feel comfortable in them.

There are some downsides, though. First, many campground in BC and Alberta won't allow them. Even with 2" tree straps, I have been told that "they will damage the trees" and they weren't allowed. That's nonsense, but at least one park I have been at was unwavering with their rules.

If you are going to use it up here in Canada, you definitely need a bugnet. You will also NEED an underquilt or undercover with insulation. You will freeze at night, especially up in the mountains where temps can get close to freezing at night.  You can also try sleeping on a foam or inflatable pad, but like many, I could never get used to that. Unfortunately, by the time you add the bugnet and underquilt and everything else needed to make the system work, the packed size of a hammock and its weight are about the same as a lightweight backpacking tent. So no real savings there.

Finally, hammocks are great for sleeping in, but in a crowded campground, they aren't the best for privacy for things like changing or putting your gear out of sight.

For me, I will take the hammock on bikepacking trips in the backcountry where I won't be at campgrounds much - the hammock is so easy to set-up (don't need level ground, just two decent-size trees). I like that I always have a dry place for my bike and that the hammock doubles as a lounger chair in the daytime. And I get SUCH a good sleep in it! But if I am doing more road-oriented bike tours, and I will be in campgrounds a lot, my ultralight tent is just more convenient (and it is a bit lighter and smaller).

--David

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:20:58 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »

As has been mentioned, you don't need level or smooth ground, so the camping is very low impact, and they fold up into a compact little ball, so they're easy to pack on your bike. They also seem easier to set up than a regular tent, and are cleaner. I've been using an older model Clark's Jungle Hammock and I love it.

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:05 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »

.....I'm a fast tourer, not a real racer.....

You're too humble Blaine Wink

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:41:16 AM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:41:16 AM »

dh024 makes a good point about public campgrounds, which is something I never really considered since most of my trips don't involve staying in campgrounds, and even when they are an option I avoid them if possible.

And it's valid that there may not be any real weight savings with a hammock setup vs. an ultralight tent (though might also want to factor the weight of a sleeping pad in that equation). It's more a matter of the type of trip you're doing, and which advantages/disadvantages make the most sense. But whenever possible, I'll take my hammock hands-down over sleeping in a tent on the ground.

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:19 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »

I tried hammocking once, but it didn't go all that well. Out in the east, the bugs are completely pervasive in the summer. Even though I had a full coverage bug net, they were able to bite me through the back of the hammock while I slept, and everywhere the net drooped a bit they would swarm and bite me. It was pretty miserable. That said, they make nets that fully surround the hammock (at a weight penalty of course) which should solve your problem. Maybe also soaking the fabric in Permethrin would have solved the problem.

I sleep on my side, and really couldn't get comfortable. I finally figured out a trick of bunching up some of the material to make a little ledge for my head, which would have worked if not for the bugs biting my face.

The one really nice bit about the hammock setup is that you have a bunch of rain protected space. With a decent sized tarp you can store your bike directly underneath you while you sleep, you can hang your laundry to dry, you can lounge about, you can stand up while you get dressed (if you are far enough away from your neighbors, of course), and have a much less cramped time all in all.

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »

they were able to bite me through the back of the hammock
Dude, what kind of bugs were those? Alternately, what sort of material is your hammock made of?

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 05:08:33 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »

Just your typical New England mosquito. I imagine them a bit like this:

Though individually they may be weak, together they are a force to be reckoned with. From now on I'm going to cower in my tent, hoping none of them learn how to chew through silnylon.

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:06 AM
southmark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »

Never been bitten by a mosquito or anything else while in my hammock. In the Southeast nor the Northeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:10 PM
fxpose

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »

I've been bit in the back of my arm through my single layered hammock.   I have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock with a complete bug net.   I will be treating my hammock with permethrin soon.

Topic Name: Hammocks Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:32:01 PM
wasif21

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »

Hi There,
Hammocks are very popular for campers,travelers.Go to instagram and search hammocks then you can see tons of photos.Hammocks are best for sleeping and relaxing.It can use both indoors and outdoors.But it is most popular for camping.While Night,You need to sleep at a secure place otherwise you will be hurt by wild animals.So,Hammock is your main place.To Know more about this thing you can search in Google.

Just Imagine,When you are camping with you friends or family you eating  marsmellos or your favourite chips and the fire is on.Also there is a hammock.An Amazing moment.When you feel tired go to the hammock say,Goodnight to you friends or family.And Just lay down.

1,2,3 You gonna sleep If your hammock is most comfortable. To Read a Review : https://besthammockreviews.com/
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: