Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? on: November 28, 2017, 12:22:54 AM
Hillbilly

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »

Hi folks...
Yes, I'm the newbie!
Have a question about frame bags and top tube bags, and anything else that attaches to a frame...
Do you (the seasoned vertans and experts) put anything on or over your frames before attaching a frame bag?
I was thinking about putting some duct tape around the frame where the Velcro straps attach to protect the paint work. Is this  necessary???
Just don't want to find out the hard way that frame bags do actually eat paint work...!!!

Any suggestions or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Hillbilly

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:17 AM
Two Tired

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »

search for some helicopter tape aka polyurethane protective tape - it's easy to cut, easy to stick, easy to peel - plus it's urethane and protective.  available in hardly noticeable clear.  use it to protect your drive side chainstay too.  the stuff works.

duct tape, electrical tape etc is ok if you are only looking for a placebo effect and a gluey mess when you peel.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/question-and-answer/frame-chafe
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=helicopter%20tape

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:17 AM
Hillbilly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »

Hi Two Tired,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look out for some.
I hear what you are saying about the sticky glue mess after you have pulled the duct tape off, but a little soap and water and at least you still have your paint ;-)

Love your Picture by the way, C.W.McCall... I grew up absolutely loving the song Convoy... Ha ha ha!

Many thanks.

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:23:05 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »

Maybe try a layer of painters tape first, then overlay some duct tape for strength/wearability.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:09 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »

Electrical tape (the black stuff) does not leave residue and is readily available. It is also not very expensive. I have used it to protect against rub from my frame bag and also to attach water bottles where there are no mounts. Can't recall where I first saw the idea, but it was on a bikepacking forum or blog somewhere. It'a great stuff!

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:55:20 PM
Cadence

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

+1 polyurethane film

Got it by meter online and use it for protecting the headtube sides from cable rub - mind you need to be changed every now and then - use it on toptube to stop velcro rub from framebag. Use a patch of an old innertube in front of  the headtube to prevent rub from harness contact point and under ther King Cage support strap that I use to fix the bottle cages to fork legs with only one eyelets as standard. All this is hardly noticeable because its just transparent tape and when eventually gets dirty I´ll just change it into a new one. The inner tyre patch sits behind the harness out of sight anyway.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:58:46 PM by Cadence » Logged

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:48 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »

I've had good luck with silicone tape - I use the clear stuff, but there's a few color options out there, for sure.  It only sticks to itself, so there's no residue at all when pulling it off.

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:03 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »

If I was worried about a carbon frame I might put some clear racers tape or helicopter tape on the frame...
...but with steel I just don't worry about it.

I will have lived a good life if I wear out a frame from frame bags rubbing through paint... (nowhere close to that, to be fair...)

Topic Name: Frame rub from bags? Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:52:23 AM
Pirahna

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »

I've used duct tape/helicopter tape/electrical tape/gorilla tape. The cheapest is probably clear gorilla tape, it's very easy to apply but can pick up dirt in the serrated edges. Some people complain of yellowing but I've never noticed. Watch a Yotube video of someone applying tape with a spray bottle of soapy water and squeegee and you'll have a neat job in no time.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: