Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:07 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »

The top tube strap for my gas tank and frame bag perfectly overlap. Any good ideas for solutions? I have zero sewing skills.

Maybe I can cut the gas tank strap on both edges, leaving only the center strip. Then I could cut 1 slit at the base of each frame bag strap just above where it attaches to the bag and thread the gas tank straps through? Thoughts?

(apologies for crappy basement lighting picture, but you get the idea)

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:09:40 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »

I cut all the velcro attachments off of the top of my frame bag.  Then I took my bag to a friend that sews and had him sew a length of 3/4 inch webbing along the entire top of the frame bag.  The webbing is sewn to the bag about every 1.5 inches.  this creates a bunch of slots where you can lash you bag to the top tube.  To attach the bag to the bike I've used zip ties, velcro staps, and even just lightweight 1/8" cord.  I really like this system...its super modular so whatever bags I use on the top tube don't interfere with attaching the frame bag. 

I will be requesting this type of system on any custom bags I have made in the future. 

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:25:49 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »

I had a frame bag custom made and asked the maker to position straps to avoid just this problem. Looking at the image I am wondering if you could cut a slit in the frame bag strap and then also trim the width of the stem bag and thread it through (so the slit doesn't need to be too wide). Not ideal but one possible solution.

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:13 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »

One solution Greg (12wheels - http://bolderbikepacking.wordpress.com/) made on my bags, is to attach the bag that's on the top tube with the frame bag, with a large strip of velcro, so the strap for the frame bag doubles as an attachment point for the smaller bag. Works great.

I like the webbing idea, too.

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:02 PM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »

Webbing (i.e. daisy chain) works great! Here's a pic of my DIY bag w/daisy chain. This was its maiden voyage/shake-down ride, so I only strapped the top tube (used paracord - dual use in case of emergency); used one-wrap on the seat & down tubes. For "real" rides I'll paracord the whole perimeter.

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:30:10 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »

Cut the frame bag velcro strap in half the long ways, both the hook and the loop. Looks like Scott used 2" so you'll essentially be left with 2x 1" straps that are right beside each other. The one nearer the head tube, stick it together and tuck it under the top tube, so it's not holding the frame bag on, it's just out of the way. Strap on the top tube pack. Pull the other half of the frame bag strap (your other 1" strap) nearer the seat post back, out of the way of the top tube strap it over the top tube as you normally would. This should work well enough until you get a different matching cuben hybrid top tube pack Wink

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:46 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

great ideas guys!

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:20 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »

I would definitely lean towards cutting the strap off of the framebag and keeping the gas tank one intact, or close to.  Looks like you could cut the framebag strap down to 3/4" wide or so.  I've never seen velcro fray, so you won't have problems with that.  And I've sometimes run my framebag without a strap there at all and had no problems (I undo it to put my bike on my bike rack and forget to put it back sometimes).

I say fill up the framebag without using that strap at all and give it a ride around.  I bet you'll have no problems.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
Shep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »

I am fairly inexperienced at this whole bikepacking thing, but can't you just not loop the forward straps of the frame bag over the top tube and just hook them together underneath the tube instead.  The frame bag should have enough support from the other attachment points and the gas tank can attach as intended.  No cutting or other permanent alterations needed.  I  have a similar problem with my Revelate bags on my bike and that is what I plan to do.  We'll see how it works this weekend....

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:05 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »

Another way to address it without permanently affecting either bag is to attach gas tank first, as you would normally. Then just attach the velcro straps for the frame bag together under the top tube as close and tight as possible. Then take a cord and string it thru the frame bag velcro straps and wrap the cord on both sides of strap around top tube and tie off, essentially making it like a daisy chain point.

Topic Name: Frame bag and gas tank straps overlap-- solutions? Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:14 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:14 AM »

Nice mtnbound, that's the way.

@adamalphabet
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: