Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fork bosses front or rear on: November 25, 2018, 07:47:52 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »

Does anyone have a theory for whether it is better to have your fork bosses on the front or rear of the fork? The original Fargo had them on the rear, but the new Cutthroat has them on the front. Most of the rest of Salsa's line has both.

I'm modding a fork with the Baryak kit, so I get to choose for my self, but that decision is final.

Topic Name: Fork bosses front or rear Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:19 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:19 PM »

There used to be a thread about adding braze-ons, somewhere in the archive here.  Someone knew how to drill a hole in the fork and add bosses.

Is this the correct part¿
http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/frame-building-parts/miscellaneous/ms2033-steel-fork-boss.html
Paragon steel fork boss?

The back provides a little extra safety for your cargo, and is just a tad more aerodynamic, and slightly better balance, and just a smidge better for steering.
A broken bottle cage on the back of the fork can can lock up the front wheel and send you over the bars.  
Bottle size on the back is limited by frame size.
On the front you can have a bigger bottle.  Weight on the front is a touch harder to steer. On the front, your bag hits the rock or thorn bush first, whats in the bag, something you need.

A smidge and a touch is what 1% or some small thing few would even notice.  

Decide this way.  Figure out what the cargo is.  Then see where it fits.  
Close to the fork rides better.
Figure out how to mount your load close to the fork.  A few mm out does make a noticeable pull on the steering.
4 water bottles on the fork sounds better than 2.  I will take the rear mount first, back of the fork that is.

Maybe someone remembers where the old thread about adding bosses is.
Mounting points on the front and back is a step in the right direction.
Drilling a hole and getting the cargo closer to the fork would be better than an outboard mounting, for better steering.

Here is a hose clamp cage if your cargo is a 1 liter water bottle,
https://salsacycles.com/components/category/accessories/nickless_cage
Not the only cage with ports for a hose clamp.

I have seen bikes with water bottles mounted at the rear axle.  My attempt failed, I ended up with broken bottle cages after about 200 miles.
As long as we are on the subject, who knows how to mount a couple of water bottles on the back of the bike?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:18:06 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: Fork bosses front or rear Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:21:02 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »

Thanks for all the input! I ended up going for the front. Most of the time it'll be empty, but from time to time I'll have a set of small bottles for long rides, and on a few rare occasions (like my upcoming trip in AZ) I'll have bigger bottles or dry bags.

* Fork.jpg (82.71 KB, 500x667 - viewed 387 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: