Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:15 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »

Anyone running a flash 29er with a niner fork? And/or in a single speed set up? Running a cannondale trail ss right now and have the chance to trade in my scalpel for a flash 29er. (The 29er wheels caught me and won't let me go) BangHead  doing the dynamo hub in the front so can't use the lefty.... Any insight would be appreciated!

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:30 PM
Long Haul Greg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »

Josh,
    I'm a neighbor of yours a bit further east in Chesapeake, VA.  I can't speak of the Cannondale Flash with Niner's rigid fork, but I've been using Niner carbon forks for the past two years on my Spot Rocker (1 1/8 steerer) and Spot Honeybadger (1 1/8 - 1 1/2 taper).  My bikes have 69/73 head tube/seat tube geometry compared to the Flash's 71/73.  I'm not sure how that translates to ride, but I do know that the TDR-12 and TDR-13 washboards and rock descents posed no problems at all for either of my Niner forks.  I just slacked my grip and let 'em ride.  With all the climbing, I would have hated FS forks and I pitied those who used them.

I think Spot got tired of losing market share to Niner.  Apparently, there are lots of folks like me out there using Niner forks on those Spot SS setups because Spot branched out and started marketing their own rigid carbon forks for both MTB and CX last model year.  What I like about the fully-rigid SS setup is the total transfer of everything you've got going straight to the ground.  My bike is super-smooth and the rigid front end has a lot to do with the feeling.  You'll be very happy with the increase in efficiency moving from full-suspension to rigid SS if you're spending more time on the trail surface than you are landing big air.

Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:32 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »

To clarify - are you planning a flash frame or the trail SL frame?

No problem fitting the fork to the chosen frame, just need to get the correct headset to suit the proprietary cannondale headtube size. On the flash it will come with an internal, direct pressfit straight headset bearing to suit a lefty, the trail SL will have an external pressfit cup, tapered bearing headset to accept 1.5" tapered steerer.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:53:12 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »

Already have the trail. Still have not decided on the flash figuring that out this week.
..... But went with whiskeys no 7 carbon fork.

Josh

Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:04 AM
godivatrailrider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »

What I like about the fully-rigid SS setup is the total transfer of everything you've got going straight to the ground.  My bike is super-smooth and the rigid front end has a lot to do with the feeling. 
LHG, presumably you cope fine SS ? I'm in the UK and pretty much only ride SS (Jones Spaceframe/ Truss Forks / Fat front) .... and I find it supremely comfortable. Not tried bikepacking yet but it's good to hear you SS as this would be my preference .. :0)

Topic Name: Flash 29er with niner fork Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:56 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »

How about carbon frame rub from packs? Any issues with that?

Josh
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: