Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:57 AM
kbrembo

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »

Hi

Just about to pull the trigger on a new bikepacking machine.

I have been cycling mtb and road for most of my near 40 years

Current steed is a Fatbike,CX and Ridley Noah

Looking at a near new Fargo 2 2012 model but now swithering on a New 2013 El Mariachi 3 which is a bargain....same price as 2nd hand fargo

Will be using it for the Highland Trail 550 and other "stuff" mostly around the Scottish Highlands

Terrain will be varied from Fire-Road and landRover track to steep technical,rocky sections.

I like the thought of the alternator dropouts on the El Mariachi incase of any mechanicals but curious on the fargo and the woodchipper experience

I cant afford a 2014 fargo with altenators

The bike will be geared.

Cheers

Keith

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:59 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »

debated this same thing, back when i bought my gen 2 fargo.
i would have loved the alternators, as i miss SS / FG or IGH options.
but i'm running geared. lots of gravel roads, dirt roads, jeep trail here in VT.
and plenty of single track.
its my most used machine - i have a pugsley and a custom independent fabrications road.

woodchippers for me, were key, because i was looking at a touring / dirt road / tour divide bike. couldn't get my head around doing the tour divide on flat bars. nor doing lots of dirt road / jeep trail touring on flat bars.

takes some time to get them dialed in. mine are a bit low for single track - but workable. they are higher than my road machine, and higher than what i had on a cross bike. my hands, in the hooks, are a bit lower then where they would be on my old soma ss mtb (sold to get the fargo).

if i was riding single track day in and day out - i'd raise the bars. and i'd consider moving to an el-mar myself.
recently I've thought of selling the pugs and the fargo for a mukluk with 2 wheel sets - fat and 29r.

but, i love the fargo, gets used most days in the summer, and even in the winter with studs. i tried flat bars on it - just didn't feel right (only had a few choices of stems in the parts bin, and in the used lot at the local shop).

IMG_4096 by mbeganyi, on Flickr
single track riding

fargo, waterfront, with revelate bags and salsa anything cages. by mbeganyi, on Flickr
loaded up for a long winter ride

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:37 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »

I come from a road background.  I chose the Fargo because I prefer having drop bars for riding the mix of pavement and dirt roads, (and occasional single track).  I much prefer my full suspension MTB for more technical trail riding and I'd rather be on my road bike for strictly pavement.  But I love the Fargo, it doesn't do anything really good but it will do just about everything you ask it to.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:47:28 PM by JRA » Logged

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:56 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »

For the technical rocky stuff you mentioned I think you will be happiest with the El Mariachi. You could also invest in some alternate bars like a Jones or similar. Gives varied hand positions for gravel grinding and long road sections.

The El Mar is a very comfy ride and designed for many hours in the saddle. I have a 2012 and love it. My only comment on the 3 vs 2 is that some componentry is not as nice and you may end up seeking an upgrade on some things. The 2013 2 is still a great deal right now if you can afford it. Good to go right out of the box.

Good luck

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:13:26 AM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »

I'm a bit late in responding, but I recommend the El Mariachi for the HTR. I have one and I've just ordered another one to single speed - they're great bikes.

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:34 AM
bruce.b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »

Purely personal and completely based on what bars you prefer. I'd prefer the Mariachi because I'd run some variant of straight bars, probably either Black Sheep Mountain Moustache or Jones Loop Bars for long rides.

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 03:19:36 PM
BenjyC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »

Building myself up an El Mariachi.

Anybody had experience of the above with woodchipper bars? Again, we're talking a long distance bikepacking rig rather than a singletrack bike.

Cheers in advance!

Ben 

"Because it's there..." - George Mallory

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:04:38 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

For me the Fargo, in ti of course Smiley .

I have done something a little different though, I've slammed the bike with a custom ti fork and 17 degree stem, so it is no longer 'suspension corrected', geo is now closer to my road bikes for ultra-distance, plus the BB is a bit lower too for handling. Don't notice any negative effects with chainring clearance (39T) but of course pedals are a touch closer to trail obstacles, but your skills negate this anyway. I really didn't like the height of the original fork, felt goofy and too high.

Climbs like a mountain goat with the dumped position. Running 46cm chippers. Comfort wise with chippers versus flatbars, I love the chippers, so many hand positions, no hand soreness. I've spent many, many multiday trips on this machine in this configuration, over a lot of washboard gravel roads, it's just beautiful to ride.

The geos of the el mar and the fargo are designed to work with their respective bars - el mar with flat/riser, fargo with drop. You'll be in experiment land if you wanted to run flat with fargo or drop with el mar. Not saying it won't work, but the fargo is more of a road bike (if that makes sense) than the el mar, as it has a shorter top tube to deal with the added reach of drop bar. El mar is longer TT like regular mtb, for just stem and flat/riser bar with setback.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 04:01:30 AM
THenne

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 04:01:30 AM »

I have done something a little different though, I've slammed the bike with a custom ti fork and 17 degree stem, so it is no longer 'suspension corrected', geo is now closer to my road bikes for ultra-distance, plus the BB is a bit lower too for handling. Don't notice any negative effects with chainring clearance (39T) but of course pedals are a touch closer to trail obstacles, but your skills negate this anyway. I really didn't like the height of the original fork, felt goofy and too high.

Climbs like a mountain goat with the dumped position. Running 46cm chippers. Comfort wise with chippers versus flatbars, I love the chippers, so many hand positions, no hand soreness. I've spent many, many multiday trips on this machine in this configuration, over a lot of washboard gravel roads, it's just beautiful to ride.

The geos of the el mar and the fargo are designed to work with their respective bars - el mar with flat/riser, fargo with drop. You'll be in experiment land if you wanted to run flat with fargo or drop with el mar. Not saying it won't work, but the fargo is more of a road bike (if that makes sense) than the el mar, as it has a shorter top tube to deal with the added reach of drop bar. El mar is longer TT like regular mtb, for just stem and flat/riser bar with setback.

Who did you have build the custom TI fork?  Very interested.  Thanks!

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
BenjyC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »

After much deliberation I've gone for a Fargo.

Wanted a drop bar and space for an extra cage; The geometry & extra bosses swung it.

Cheers for all the advice!

"Because it's there..." - George Mallory

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 12:12:38 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »

THenne, tell me about that waterbottle on the top tube (how it works/is it just ziptied?). PLease?

Topic Name: Fargo v El Mariachi Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:26 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

Who did you have build the custom TI fork?  Very interested.  Thanks!

Thenne, I had Muru Cycles make it up for me. It's not listed on the site, you'll have to contact them and have a chat. Mention Troy in your email, they'll know. Pretty good product, I also took a ti Witjira to Iditarod last year.

http://www.murucycles.com/

Moyo, the bottle cage is held on with hoseclamps - the images shows large zipties, these worked well during testing as well.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: