Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers on: March 18, 2018, 04:50:22 PM
SVO

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »

Hey all,

Recent hand surgery has me looking to optimize cockpit ergonomics.  I've been running Gripshift for MANY years.  The shifty segment of Gripshift has increased both in length and a bit in diameter over the years, both of which I consider undesirable, especially for endurance riding.  With smallish hands tougher to get the brake levers close enough.  Also feel the quality of GX is off the mark at the price point.  For 11 speed that means a jump to pricey XX1 stuff.  On the other hand, I bang my knuckles into triggers sometimes too- not sure exactly how- I'm watching the trail!

So, anyone moved from Gripshift to triggers or vice versa, in recent times?  What was your experience with ergonomics?  What about mounting interference with a Sweetroll type pack?  Thanks!

JD

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:56 AM
white pass

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »

I have a Sram X0 on my fat bike and I love it. I'm not sure how I would feel about it on my trail bike which gets a lot more bumps and I feel would be susceptible to accidental shifts.

Have you tried both SRAM and Shimano trigger shifters? They operate differently and have different sized triggers so you may find one is a problem and not the other. I prefer the Shimano style triggers, but I have big hands. I think the SRAM ones are smaller.

Some new shifters come with a 'single clamp' design that allows you to put more devices onto one spot on your bars, saving you space for bags and other do-dads.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:54 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »

I've been messing with shifters on my mt bike.  I wanted microshifting (aka index) for the front and tried a grip shift for the left hand and trigger for the right.  I'm not impressed with the ergonomics at all.  I don't like the effort to shift while riding technical terrain.  That might just be me though.  Since I am going to try to switch my road bike to a swept bar (soma clarence) I got some thumb shifters and I think I might try to put the thumb shifter on my mountain bike and the grip shifter on my road bike since I can spend more effort on the road and not worry about terrain.
So in summary... maybe look into  thumb shifters too.  They are priced economically these days and are an alternative to trigger shifters.  Considering thumb shfiters are on top the bar and triggers are below the bar, they might be better for bags.  I haven't tried but its a thought...

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:21:00 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »

I tried SRAM triggers a few years back- they were okay.  Can't buy XO Gripshift any longer.  My drivetrain is 2x11.  Never had an issue with accidental shifting either up or down- strive for light hands.  Vermont- what are the thumb shifters of which you speak?  Like bar-cons for drops?  I have straight bars.  Had XT thumbies for many years way back when- not tried Shimano triggers ever- not cheap to experiment either. 

Thanks for thoughts guys.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:55 PM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=60220&category=770

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:56 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »

Ah, yes.  Thanks.  I gave up on 9 speed when I could no longer find high quality, lightweight cassettes. 

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:27:55 PM
sackett

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »

Ah, yes.  Thanks.  I gave up on 9 speed when I could no longer find high quality, lightweight cassettes. 

Microshift makes 11 speed thumb shifters.  I have a 9 speed one I like.  I was a long time grip shifter too.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:55 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

Fan of my 1x5 setup with thumbie... have used 1x9 as well. On the road / gravel I have sram 10 rear, friction double front.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:01:46 PM by bmike-vt » Logged

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:21:13 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »

Microshift makes 11 speed thumb shifters.  I have a 9 speed one I like.  I was a long time grip shifter too.
  Interesting- certainly an option.  Cheers.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:16 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »

Fan of my 1x5 setup with thumbie... have used 1x9 as well. On the road / gravel I have sram 10 rear, friction double front.

1x5?  What is your gearing?  What cassette?  Think you are likely a far stronger rider than I but I ran 1x8 for many years.  Sweet spot still IMHO.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:53:17 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »

Running a mod’d cassette on a King hub. Would have to check - 30t up front. I think I have 32 as the large in the back. Not strong. Not superhuman. Just stubborn and looking for simplicity. Was gonna run SS by was worried about carrying gear and some longer climbs. Had been riding SS the season before. Other option was to toss the Rohloff back on but I don’t like it for technical terrain.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:28 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »

Running a mod’d cassette on a King hub. Would have to check - 30t up front. I think I have 32 as the large in the back. Not strong. Not superhuman. Just stubborn and looking for simplicity. Was gonna run SS by was worried about carrying gear and some longer climbs. Had been riding SS the season before. Other option was to toss the Rohloff back on but I don’t like it for technical terrain.

Custom stack on a SS hub?  But a 1:1 or so for bikepacking is pretty intimidating to me.  At least here in the Rockies.  On the other end is the question of spinning out below normal cruising speed- at 30x11 I'd be done at 15 MPH or so, but then I am a lower cadence rider. 

I have buddies who pine for a Rohloff- what holds back on rough stuff?
Thanks

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:15 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:15 AM »

Its the top half of a 9spd cassette. The cassette had to get modified a bit to fit on the Long SS hub. The guy who made it for me milled out some of the carrier so it would fit cleanly. Works awesome.

It’s all a compromise. Lots of steep punchy stuff here in the NE.

Rohloff - takes forever to engage compared to the King hub. I would stall out and get caught up ratcheting or negotiating technical bits - roll up to a log or roc, expect power, and its 1/4 revolution before you get it.

Love it for winter, snow, muck, gravel, mild single track schwacking. Aside from the weight. Hate it for pure MTB riding.

Topic Name: Ergonomics: Gripshift vs. triggers Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:43:41 PM
SVO

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »

Cool. Had something similar on a Hope SS way black.  Old stacked cog cassettes used to make it pretty easy to build.  Bad knees and hike a bike phobia have me looking for more gear tho.   Like to try a Rohloff some day....
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: