Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #100 on: August 23, 2019, 07:38:40 AM
Bobonli

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

2019 update: HMG Dirigo tent.  https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/dirigo-2-ultralight-backpacking-tent

Palatial for one, comfy for two.  Sub 2# with full bug mesh, bathtub floor, and 2 vestibules.

Downside?  Spendy.  Seems like the really good stuff often is.

Have you had an opportunity to use it?
Suitable for someone 6 ft 2 ?
I don’t see mention on the site is there a pole solution if you’re cycling and not carrying trekking poles?
Thanks

Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #101 on: August 23, 2019, 07:59:55 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »

Have you had an opportunity to use it?
Suitable for someone 6 ft 2 ?
I don’t see mention on the site is there a pole solution if you’re cycling and not carrying trekking poles?
Thanks

I've got 20+ days in it since March.

If you're 6'2" it'll work but you'll need to be at least a bit diagonal in it to keep from brushing head or feet.

I use trekking poles when I take it on backpacking trips, a breakdown paddle when on the river, and carbon extend-o-poles when on the bike.

I thought I remembered reading that they were going to provide poles at some point, but haven't kept up with that since I figured out my own.

Not sure I mentioned how easy it is to pitch.  Having used other tents and 'mids for the past ~decade I'd sort of gotten used to needing more time and focus to pitch.  This thing goes up really quick and with no ambiguity.

Really quality piece of kit.

Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #102 on: August 23, 2019, 08:43:45 AM
Bobonli

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2019, 08:43:45 AM »

Thank you sir

Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #103 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:18 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »

Big Agness repaired my tent 3 times under warranty, 2013, replaced the Zipper, 2015, sprayed water proofing on it, 2017, another zipper,  2019, sent me a shiny new Fly Creek instead of new seam tape on the inside of the (¿2011?).  
I figure, I camped more than 100 times in the harsh environment of Baja California in all those years.  Not to mention all the times I hiked the Olympic National Park wilderness coast.  Or pedaled my bicycle for 3, 10, 30, or 60 days.

They made a mistake, and sent me a 2 person Fly Creek, instead of the 1 person I sent in.  No complaint on that one.  

Tent might be less than perfect, warranty is beyond my expectacions.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:55:45 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #104 on: August 28, 2019, 03:18:52 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »

Tabatinga, say that out loud a couple of times, Tabatinga.

somewhere up a tributary of the Amazon river, I got off the boat in a village with about 1 mile of pavement, from the dock to the market.  The rest of the roads are dirt or mud as the weather might be.
There is no bicycle shop in this village.  I looked for one.  Even a person as stingy as me would buy these children a tire if there was a way to do so.  After a few days of watching them take turns riding on the bike with no tire, I looked quite hard for a tire, there are no bike parts of any kind in this village.

This thread is about equipment that works.
This is to help people share information about gear that did its job, without fail.
The hardest part of the internet is to explain to 123,457 people what your thread is about.

In the window on the left you see dear old dad.  If he wants to buy a tire for the bicycle his 6 children share, he needs to go on a 4 day and 4 night boat ride to Tabatinga.  A day or two longer to get him back home up river.

In their village,
For 59 cents, dos soles Peruanos, Patricia sells, from a table in the street, rice and a fried egg.  For cinco soles, $1.48 You get a bigger plate with a piece of chicken.  The fat guy sitting next to me complained about the the price of the chicken.  

I think My Shimano m772 long cage rear derailleur, deserves a mention, it lasted through years of abuse, it worked without fail.
Here in Tabatinga, the dry season means 200 mm of rain per month.  The dry season is over.  As I wait for an airplain, I can see what the rainy season looks like.  Some say an internal geared hub is the way to go in the mud.  No right answer.  Just a list of gear that people found reliable after a lot of use.  You and only you can decide which gear fits your travel plans.

I like to camp in the sand.  Sometimes the wind blows off the Pacific.  Blows the tent stakes right out of the sand.   The tent that works for the man in Colorado, might not work for me on the beach.  I suppose my tent pole weighs a pound, and has no second use.  No one right answer.  A good tent in the mountains, where the ground is solid and can hold onto a tent stake, could be a different tent than the one we need on windy soft ground.

Note the tent tied down to some drift wood.

So, if you are going down the Canol Heritage Trail in the Yukon, or up the Amazon river, what gear do you need?  If you know of some gear that works and can be relied upon, post about it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATG8uBE8mw
The final resting place of the Pearl, was a beach in northern Brazil.  
Get off your bicycle and go into an old library,
you might learn something.

Pick a point on the map

and go there.
When you get back let us know if one piece of equiptment served you well. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:27:37 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: equipment that works the list Reply #105 on: August 01, 2020, 12:41:20 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »

Universal parts might keep us going.  A few months back I met a guy in Catavina Baja.  The guy was on a nice + bike with top end parts.  When I saw him again in Guerrero Negro  His left crank arm was busted off his bike.  Most everybody wanted to help him.  Just one problem He had an Isis bottom bracket.  He had to go back to San Diego to buy a tool to get the Isis bb off. 12 hours and 12 hours back on a buss, 1,200 pesos each way. He had an expensive German bracket rated for 100,000 kilometres.  I guess he rode that far before it broke.  Most every bike shack from north to south has a Shimano bb tool.  Seems that oh so few bike shops have a Isis tool.  

The point is, even the best parts can fail in time.  Should we set our selves up with universal parts that use a common tool?  Phil Wood Stainless external 68/73mm BB, uses a common tool that most bike shacks have.  I saw a frame that checked all the boxes I was looking for.  Except.  It had a press fit bb.  so I did not buy it.  hmm
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: