Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Dilemma on carrying gear on: July 21, 2013, 03:33:31 AM
stuffx

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:33:31 AM »

Hi guys n girls! Long time no see Smiley

I'm planning in august to make an endurance bikepacking/hiking trip. To from the coast of Mediterranean sea from Barcelona to the highest summit in Pyrenees Aneto (3404m). I want to make a distance from Barcelona to Aneto basecamp in one attempt. It is aprox 300km on the road. Recover one day and the climb the Pic de Aneto. I was there last year with my partner, but the weather turned bad on the way to summit so we had to quit. http://cyclosapiens.blogspot.com.es/2012/11/zelta-rudens-pirenejos-aneto-3404_4106.html

It think i'll have as little gear to fit it rather on front or on the back of the bike. And the question is: what would be the best place, to fight the gravity and to have comfortable ride? I'll have at least 5 many kilometer climbs on the way and descents also 

Re-cycling Europe - cyclosapiens.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Dilemma on carrying gear Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:18 PM
mattyp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »

cool trip.  i didn't understand the language but the pics look great.  looks like the bike portion is mainly on the road.  i've don'e both the bikepacking set up and a touring set up and the differences are small if you are packing light.  if i was doing it, i'd probably go with a road touring set up to be able to ride without a pack on my back and then either put the pack in a pannier or strapped to the top of the rack. 

Topic Name: Dilemma on carrying gear Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:41:09 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

If I understand your question correctly, I would say that on the way up it may pay to have some additional weight on the front end to keep it positioned on the ground (too back-heavy and you will have a tendency to lift the front end on steep or rocky climbs). On the way back down, shifting some weight to the back may enhance your control (too much weight on the bars will make turning and front end response sluggish and potentially dangerous because of the lack of fine control). I am assuming here that this mountain biking and not road touring. These considerations are probably less significant if on a paved or gravel/dirt road. For singletrack, it can make a pretty big difference when spread over many miles.

Topic Name: Dilemma on carrying gear Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
stuffx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »

Thanks!

I was wondering if the possitioning of weight will make a big difference on the road? when i gonna downhill the trails from the mountain i want o put all the weight on my back to have more control over the bike.

Re-cycling Europe - cyclosapiens.blogspot.com
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: