Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: cylinder cookpots on: October 21, 2018, 03:50:14 PM
vermont

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »

I have traditionally used a Trangia Mini.  Its a great stove/cookset for backpacking but is hard to fit in any bag bikepacking.  I'm looking at small cylinder pots, aka 5in diameter and 5inch tall or such.
How well can you cook whole meals in the pot, aka rice-a-roni or pasta-roni, or mac and cheese?  With a more than just water, should I go for a slightly larger pot?
Do people use them with alcohol stoves?  Most reviews and the pots themselves seem to be made for propane/butane stoves.
Thanks,

Topic Name: cylinder cookpots Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:00:25 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »

another question...  There are some pots with folding handles that leave a gnarly piece of metal on the sides.  Does this snag on bags?  I'm assuming it does (?).

Topic Name: cylinder cookpots Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:23 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:23 AM »

the one by Mike, on Flickr

I have in the past only boiled water for backpacker meals in a bag, and for coffee.
For actual cooking I would carry a wider set of pots, real food, my Trangia or my Whisperlite, and car camp, then ride all day.

The bonus to a wider pot is that with alcohol which has lower energy capacity than canister stoves is that more surface area seems* to work better at transferring heat to the pot and contents - which I believe is why Trangia sells the kit with the wider pots.

*But - wind, temperature, etc. etc. all play a role...

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: