Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:10 AM
BigBear

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »

Brand spankin' new to the forum and to bikepacking.

Thinking Doing a 4 to 5 day trip on the Colorado Trail and trying to figure out what the best collection of segments is.

I have the Colorado Trail Guidebook and was thinking of starting on Segment 6/Kenosha Pass and riding through Segment 114, but it seems like quite a bit of wilderness detours.

I am okay with wilderness detours, just want to keep them to a minimum (if I can).

Any input and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:45 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

Kenosha through Segment 14 would be killer.

If I was to do just a part of the CT for a trip, I would just miss the enormous La Garita Wilderness detour - not a huge point to that. The Tarryall Detour is also sort of a bummer, but I enjoyed it, and taking the somewhat dicey 285 route to Kenosha is also an option.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:39 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »

My absolute favorite is from Spring Creek Pass to Durango. I could ride that over and over and over. 4-5 days would be perfect. Otherwise Kenosha to Leadville, but that's more like 2-3 days. Nothing else on the CT compares to those sections (with the exception of the Monarch Crest portion) but I guess I just have a preference for the high country riding. Are you planning on a point to point portion of the CT or trying to make a loop?

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:12 PM
BigBear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

NT - I will look into the Spring Creek Pass to Durango segments, but I have generally heard/read that the southern half of the CT is not as MTB friendly whith much more hike-a-bikes. What do you like so much about this section?

Our plan was to do a point to point. Maybe Kenosha to Leadville in 3 days and then just do an "unpacked" ride on the Monarch Crest trail the day after.

We can always stretch out the segments by spending more than one night at a spot - especially if there is a good fishing.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:13:38 PM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »

Spring Creek Pass to Silverton has some hike a bike, most of it is rideable and surprisingly buff. You have a series of hike a bikes but they are mostly short. It's so damn gorgeous that who cares if you're hiking. Pretty much nil for hike a bike from Silverton on except a few short parts on Indian Trail Ridge and a couple other very short segments here and there.

It seems like there are different types of people; those who think segments 22/23 aren't bike friendly and those who think it's the best mountain bike trail they've ever been on and would do it again and again. There are few places where you can ride quality trail above treeline for so long- it's out of this world surreal. Tons of riding up high elsewhere in the San Juans and a few other places in Colorado but they are mostly very rugged. This part of the CT is buff by comparison.

If you do Kenosha to Leadville, might as well keep going all the way to Twin Lakes or even to Clear Creek Reservoir- very fun sections as well, especially the descent to twin lakes.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:39 PM
BigBear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »

NT - thanks for the explanation. As a backpacker, I do not mind short hike-a-bikes and certainly kind of expect them.

I have been backpacking in the South San Juan Wilderness and for some reason I envisioned the Colorado Trail in these segments to be similarly rugged, rocky, and somewhat unmaintained.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:59 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »

Absolutely +1 for Spring Creek to Durango as NT said.
I had the privilege of touring the route from Denver to Durango in August of 2012. So much good stuff!

There are so many great sections of trail but Spring Creek to Durango is a beautiful high mountain alpine stretch with a cool little town in between which breaks up having to carry a bunch of food weight. I covered that section in 3 days; going Spring Creek Pass to Silverton (1:30am start, early/mid afternoon finish), Silverton to Cascade Creek, short day after sleeping in at the hostel and then sitting out lightning for a few hours and then Cascade Creek to Durango with a cut sidewall coming down Kennebec, full day with a late arrival into Durango.  To do it 'fun' I think 4 maybe 5 days would be better.

I had a tonne of fun from Leadville to BV, super fun trails.  There is so much good stuff. I can not wait to get back down there this summer! So pumped just thinking about it!

Whatever you settle on Have a Blast! the CT is mecca for bike packers, everyone should make the pilgrimage at least once in their life if they have the opportunity.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:15 AM
BigBear

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »

Addy Marx - Thank you for the info. It is sounding like this is the more remote section of the CT, which I like the idea of.

I think closer to Durango is definitely easier from a logistics standpoint with travel to/from Durango Airport.

Looked at the CT Guidebook last night, they reference taking the Pole Creek Jeep Road back to Silverton (apparently past Pole Creek is difficult biking?), which appears to add some additional length off the trail due to the Wilderness area bypass. Any thoughts there? Stay on the CT past Pole Creek Road and continue to the bypass.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:39 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »

The pole creek route skips the best part (if you're looking for high, remote beauty). I'd stay on the CT to stony pass, then take the road to silverton. That said, I haven't done pole creek- maybe it's cool.

Topic Name: Colorado Trail 4-5day Trip - Any Recommendations? Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:47 AM
BigBear

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »

NT - I was kind of thinking the same thing. The author of the CT Guidebook suggests getting off the trail if you are on a bike, but then proceeds to show some great photos of the CT past Pole Creek Rd.

Cool. Thanks.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: