Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Center of gravity? on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:04 PM
Jackdaw

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »

I see a lot of set-ups with a big full handle bar bag and a big full seat bag, often without a frame bag. Why put all your weight so high? I understand if you really have to have the clearance for rigged burly singletrack but wouldn't you want to start with the frame bag?

I'm really just asking, I don't have a set-up for a mtn bike yet so I'm looking for answers.

Thanks!!

Jackdaw

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:36 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »

Frame bags really don't hold all that much, compared to a seat bag, or handlebar bag.

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:42 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »

Yep and a lot of FS bikes don't leave much room at all.

I've never felt like a bar/seat bag system adversely affects handling. Sure it's a bit high but it is centered R to L. Once you ride a loaded bike for a few days it feels normal, and then when you day ride empty the bike feels weird.

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:03 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »

Most frame bags are suited to smaller modular items like food, stove, tools and spares, leaving barbag/seatbag for the bulky items like a packraft or arctic layers and sleeping bag. As noted too the duallies have even less frame space.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:58:56 AM
bicyclehobo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:58:56 AM »

Regardless of how I spread the weight around the first day or so on a tour has a learning curve. The first big climb and descent are treated with the utmost respect. I think about this until the bike, gear, and effective handling become second nature.

The same is true when I find a place where i will shed the bags for a couple days and ride around 'naked'. The bike instantly handles different and before I start ripping around I take a moment to run through some 'drills' to get a feel for the bike and it's new found handling.

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:15 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

The other trick is to try and pack your seat bag and handlebar bag so they weigh about the same if possible. Definitely helps with the bike balance.

Topic Name: Center of gravity? Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:52 AM
Dumpster Juice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »

Plus frame bags are mostly custom fit for your bike, so if you change bikes you have to get a new frame bag whereas seat bags and handlebar systems fit other bikes...If you have more than one bike it can get expensive.

The older I get, the better I was...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: