Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 07:27:49 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »

Chuck -- I'm curious about the non-wilderness areas that are closed to bikes.  There's only one WA on the route, so what about the other sections -- would carrying / pushing a bike through be OK?

I have to dig deeper, but the only other section I know of that will not allow cycling is that which lies within the Big South Fork. Supposedly, there is a state park along the way that doesn't allow biking, but I'm not sure which one.

BTW, ScottM, I found that guy who actually rode the whole thing in 2000. I hope to pick his brain as well.

Lastly, here is a very cool map that you can overlay hiking and biking trails in KY:

http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kytrails/viewer.htm

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 07:57:05 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »

Wow, that thing's super nice.  I'm messing with hammocks too.  I've thought about the bridge style but there is a big hurdle I can't get over when travelling by bike.  That is the hiking poles.  I'm not going to carry my hiking poles, and I'm not sure it's worth buying and carrying some other purpose built pole.  Have you figured that one out?

Yeah, there is that problem and if you go through all the pages, it's also pretty heavy. I am sure if you wanted to do it, you could. Notice the poles are shortened significantly. I am sure it would be easy to modify some hiking poles to the right length and carry that in the pack. Or, instead of running a frame pump along the down tube, seat tube, attach your hammock poles there.

I am still investigating hammocks. Looks very promising. I don't mind heat, cold or even rain that much. But, I hate sleeping on the ground. I just got Ed Speer's book from Amazon and I have perused many websites and forums. Learning curve is pretty steep, but I am thinking of a Warbonnet Blackbird due to all the great reviews on the Hammock Forum:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:44:21 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »

Hey all- the Trace is SERIOuiSLY horsey-mc-horsey'd up for long sections.  Beatiful trail, but be aware that there will be literally 1/4-1/2 mile sections of knee deep horse created clay mud pits- seriously.  Some fantastic sections, but anybody attempting this should know. 
I'm really good friends with the guys in that old article Scott posted, they had a great time, but the Trace was nowhere near as horsed up then.  I'm not overstating this problem- it's baaad.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 07:12:23 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 07:12:23 PM »

Mike Brown,

You are very correct about selected parts of the Sheltowee. The whole Daniel Boone National Forest is seriously horsed up as is much of Kentucky  BangHead

That's also another reason for me to do this ride in September when it will be as dry as can be.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 05:44:55 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 05:44:55 AM »

While preparing for the full AZT a bike shop owner gave me the idea of carrying part of my load like a duffel bag. He was talking about panniers thou I didn't end up using them.

I did have a Jandd Rack Pack Duffel and it did make sense to carry it that way and so why not the bike too.

I thought it worked out well having the weight lower and dispersed to 4 straps instead of two. I used extra clothes to pad out the one inch straps I used to hang the bike and duffel.

The set up worked great in the Canyon on the nice wide trail but was a little bit cumbersome on the overgrown four mile section north of Patagonia.

* Carry1.JPG (40.92 KB, 448x336 - viewed 2092 times.)

* Carry2.JPG (44.6 KB, 448x336 - viewed 2071 times.)

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 07:15:12 PM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »

Chuck, did you ever finish your research on this route?

Edit: Found the answer here: http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:33:11 PM by Majcolo » Logged

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:36:59 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

Chuck, did you ever finish your research on this route?

I did quite a bit of research on this trail.

If you care to read a fairly long thread on the matter, start here:

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

In short, we completed three days starting from the Northern Terminus north of Morehead, KY.

During that time, we had six flat tires, three rainstorms, one broken rear wheel spoke, loose main pivot bolt backed out (behind the crankarm no less) and a trip to the bikeshop to fix the last two items. That really didn't stop us, but my riding partner called it quits. My wife might of served papers on me if I would have gone on alone.

This much I can tell you about the trail:

Northern Terminus to Morehead is the severely overgrown with briars both in the trailbed and onto the trailbed.

We ended up buying Slime tubes at Wally World for my ride partner (5 of 6 flats for him).

South of Morehead, you can head down to Hwy 60 and start on what becomes Big Limestone Trail at the swinging Triplett Bridge. That trail starts out a bit overgrown and improves greatly the further south you go.

Lots of cool trail with unique rock formations, an old Iron Furnace, fresh animal tracks, etc. to be seen:

The section from Cave Run to Frenchburg was really neat. One or two hike-a-bike sections, but you were rewarded with great views thereafter.

My future plans are to re-do this trip next year starting from Morehead and ride south. I have a GPS track, knowledge of where I need to exit the trail to remain legal and a good exit plan near Whitley City. The Southern Terminus is, unfortunately, not bike legal.

I will post about when. Equipment-wise, I couldn't be happier with my gear minus the broken spoke and pivot bolt issue. I've had my wheels rebuilt with Stan's Flows and will be running tubeless next time.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:49 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed response Chuck. The pics are beautiful.

I'm going to be living in Alabama for the next couple of years and want to make sure I get the full measure of Southeastern U.S. biking in before I head back west, so every long route I can find...

I'm looking at this in early spring if I can find a dry weeklong forecast.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:55 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

My suggestion would be to wait till June. Spring in KY can be very, very wet. Let me know if you need help with some planning.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:59 PM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:59 PM »

Will do. Thanks again.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:55 PM
egear

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »

Here is a stupid question.  No bikes means riding them.  Can you push the bike?  Seems as though that might be worst than carrying it thru.
I have walked my share of trails and pushing is not pleasant.   I would be tempted to ride at some points and most likely get busted for it.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:54 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »

Here is a stupid question.  No bikes means riding them.  Can you push the bike?  Seems as though that might be worst than carrying it thru.
I have walked my share of trails and pushing is not pleasant.   I would be tempted to ride at some points and most likely get busted for it.

For the Canyon no wheels can touch the ground. So no rolling, cause ya you would be to tempted. Once the bikes in pieces it's easier to just keep moving.

In comparison to other hard core things to do in the Canyon carrying your bike thru isn't really that hard. Talking regular tour now not racing, riding non stop more or less from Mexico and then carrying straight thru is pretty bad ass. Taking 2 or so weeks to get there and then using both camping options a 3 day portage is more then doable.

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:22 AM
ruthslp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »

even with all the restrictions for bikes, this trail looks nice...any more updates of anyone scouting it out?
i may read all the details and head down early next summer, this isn't too far of a drive for me for a trip....

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 09:21:18 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »

I did a blog post a while back and tried to take more pictures of the setup. I'll be giving it an official go in 2016.

AZTR750 Prep

FYI: I updated this entry on the blog as of November 2016, same link
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:39:36 AM by freeskier46 » Logged

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Carrying a bike via a backpack Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 11:39:45 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »

An option...
https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/13/outentic-puts-a-bike-on-your-back-modular-backpack-for-long-enduro-portages/
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: