Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them on: March 30, 2018, 03:51:45 AM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:51:45 AM »

Since I started getting into bike packing 2 years ago I have only used, built, and experimented with alcohol stoves. I really like them but their inconsistency with climate, wind, starting water temp, and other things drives me nuts. You finally get a system of efficiency figured out and then the next time you use it your system doesn't perform what it did the last time lol. That said I am not getting rid of my alcohol setup as I know there will still be trips where I will prefer it but yesterday I did pull the plug and order a Snowpeak Gigapower stove. Yeah I did it.

I'm trying to still be as minimalistic as possible (is that even a thing anymore once you venture into a isobutane stove setup Wink ). My pot setup has always been a 20 ounce Stanley pot and one of those 18 ounce Ozark trail pots from Wal Mart. The Stanley pot fits inside the 18 ounce Ozark Trail coffee cup and they sit nicely on my Salsa Anything cage on my fork. With my old alcohol setup everything fit inside my Stanley pot (stove, windscreen, lighters, pot stand,) but I am aware that with my new stove setup I will probably not be able to fit a 4 ounce fuel canister inside my pot and for sure not the 8 ounce size. Heck I even contemplated going with a couple of those Ozark Trail cups (one for coffee/drink and one as a pot) since they hold 2 cups of liquid and that's more than enough for anything I ever cook anyways and the lid from my Stanley pot fits the mugs perfectly. Those cheap mugs have a little wider base than the Stanley pot so they may work better on my new stove but I won't know anything until I receive it in the mail and get to test it out. I still want to try and stay with a small pot (20 ounces or smaller) instead of one of those larger pots to keep space on the bike minimal.

All I do on my trips is boil water for ramen noodles or for dried bag meals (Mountain House, Bear Creek etc) as well as my coffee. The rest of my food is usually trail mix or granola bars. So with that being said......I would be interested in seeing other's pot and cookware setups.

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:44 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »

My setup.  Has worked well for quite a few years now provided I only need to boil water.   I have an old MSR whisperlite international too but don't often bring it on trips anymore. 

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:58:17 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

Vargo Bot, Bot Cozy, Vargo Travel Mug, Kovea Spider remote canister stove, carbon felt wind screen, Leatherman Wave, Jetboil Crunchit, Toaks long spork. All nests together and fits in an Anything bag along with a gas canister and a bag of meds/toiletries on top.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:43:27 AM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:43:27 AM »

My setup.  Has worked well for quite a few years now provided I only need to boil water.   I have an old MSR whisperlite international too but don't often bring it on trips anymore. 

I still love my alky setup. It seems I get different results based off wind and temperatures. One time you can come close to boiling with 3/4 ounce and the next time 3/4 ounce gets you only 140 degree temps. Thats the frustrating part

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:07 AM
vermont

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »

I've always gone with a Trangia Mini system with the .8 liter pot.  Its really not shaped for bikepacking as its wide and flat not skinny and tall.  (I've noticed bikepacking seems to like tall and skinny shapes while backpacking likes wide and flat.  Bike "touring" seems to agree with backpackers).  Its such and all in one system that I will probably stick with it regardless of shape.  Since I sew my stuff, I will eventually make a stove bag to fit somewhere.
Your alchy stove will respond to conditions more than a butane stove, its a weaker flame.  Windscreens and patience will help.  To my absolute amazement, on a very cold trip recently one full Trangia of alcohol filled two 32oz bottles with melted snow.  This was in a shelter with a windscreen which both helped the efficiency a lot.
I've used a camp mug for a hot chocolate stove (yes I did) and they would work except for the volume and lack of safe handle.  Unfortunately once you have flame surrounding the cup and only a tiny steel handle, you can't remove it from the flame.

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:23:35 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »

Yeah the can isn't entirely consistent but I've never had issues with it not boiling water.  The only issue I've really had is the flame getting blown out when I've forgotten to bring the windscreen.  For how compact it is and the cost it's hard to beat.

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:23 PM
petemaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »

Hey RonK, do you use anything to handle the BOT once water has boiled? At the moment I just use a buff or similar, just wondering what others use to avoid burns!

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:37 AM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:37 AM »

Hey RonK, do you use anything to handle the BOT once water has boiled? At the moment I just use a buff or similar, just wondering what others use to avoid burns!
I put the Bot lid on then use the carbon felt wind screen to pick it up and slip it into the Bot Cosy. Then I throw my beanie over the top. Let it stand for ten minutes or so to rehydrate the meal while I heat more water in the ti mug and sip a cup of soup. All part of my minimal fuel consumption strategy.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:13:25 AM
lukecaron96

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »

I highly recommend a pocket rocket trail stove. These can work with pretty much any lightweight pocket, and barely take up any space. I have used these on many trips and they are fairly reliable and do not require much propane fuel.

Topic Name: camp pots/cooksets lets see them Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:27:16 PM
petemaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »

I put the Bot lid on then use the carbon felt wind screen to pick it up and slip it into the Bot Cosy. Then I throw my beanie over the top. Let it stand for ten minutes or so to rehydrate the meal while I heat more water in the ti mug and sip a cup of soup. All part of my minimal fuel consumption strategy.

Thanks RonK
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: