hismaimai7777

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

What are you using for a camp pillow?

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
alpamayo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »

The clothes I’m not wearing in a stuff sack, preferably with my puffy jacket.

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:09:28 AM
seanwggns

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:09:28 AM »

I use my stuff stack with my puffy in it at times. During warm weather when im not carrying a down jacket I use my Cocoon HyperLight Air Core.
https://www.rei.com/product/142506/cocoon-hyperlight-air-core-pillow-blueblack

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:02:22 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »

I also used to stuff extra clothes into a stuff sack for a pillow.  But, I recently bought the Cacoon Sleeping Bag Hood Pillow for a 3 day trip. Packs very small.  I'll never go back to the stuff sack now, such a nice little luxury that definitely improved my sleep.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507/cocoon-sleeping-bag-hood-pillow

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:26:45 AM
RunRig

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »

I also used to stuff extra clothes into a stuff sack for a pillow.  But, I recently bought the Cacoon Sleeping Bag Hood Pillow for a 3 day trip. Packs very small.  I'll never go back to the stuff sack now, such a nice little luxury that definitely improved my sleep.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507/cocoon-sleeping-bag-hood-pillow

That is cheaper than the Sea-to-Summit I ended up with. I got two of them for my Son and I...was definitely better than the folded up sweatshirt I was using. Some of the reviews say it punctures easily, but so far so good for me.

https://www.rei.com/c/camping-pillows

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:33 PM
dh024

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »

I'm another in the camp of "used to use a stuff sack but bought a backpacking pillow and will never go back"

These things 1.5 oz and pack to almost nothing - a bit of a luxury item, but almost no cost to carry and well worth it:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-861/Air-Pillow

--David

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:50 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:50 AM »

hydration bladder filled with extra air

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:52:27 AM
Tacodelmontana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »

Usually I put my shoes under my pad, under my head, toes pointed ‘downhill’. It’s like a little ramp. Phone can go in one shoe, which is handy for an alarm clock. My bivy setup typically requires that I wear my layers when I sleep so I can’t do the clothes-in-a-stuff-sack method.

If I’m feeling luxurious and have panniers, I have a Nemo Fillo Luxury pillow, which is an outstanding bit of kit, but too big for bikepacking bags.

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 10:22:05 PM
silvafair

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »

Usually I put my shoes under my pad, under my head, toes pointed ‘downhill’. It’s like a little ramp. Phone can go in one shoe, which is handy for an alarm clock. My bivy setup typically requires that I wear my layers when I sleep so I can’t do the clothes-in-a-stuff-sack method.

If I’m feeling luxurious and have panniers, I have a Nemo Fillo Luxury pillow, which is an outstanding bit of kit, but too big for bikepacking bags.

I also have tried all sorts of "arrangements" of gear to sleep on, including boots/shoes. We - wife and me - even tried to use a regular pillow and finally evolved just right to buy something portable. After all we were amateurs, what to say...
Take a look at the Exped air pillow (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-m) - I really like mine. They pack up small, you can easily control the firmness and they even come in a few different sizes should you want something close in size to a real pillow. I find that the material doesn't feel that comfortable so use a buff as a pillowcase of sorts and it works a treat.

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:23 PM
freespirit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »

I also have tried all sorts of "arrangements" of gear to sleep on, including boots/shoes. We - wife and me - even tried to use a regular pillow and finally evolved just right to buy something portable. After all we were amateurs, what to say...
Take a look at the Exped air pillow (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-m) - I really like mine. They pack up small, you can easily control the firmness and they even come in a few different sizes should you want something close in size to a real pillow. I find that the material doesn't feel that comfortable so use a buff as a pillowcase of sorts and it works a treat.

Problem with a pillow as I see it is bulk. I don't like the inflatable ones so this is my option too. I use a fleece jacket in summer instead of thermal lining as it doubles up for casual wear off the bike. I wrap the soft clothes inside it inside a pillow case and it makes for an excellent pillow, adjustable to suit your needs. Takes trial and error at first but once you get the hang of it you are made but without having to carry a bulky pillow.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:36:07 AM by freespirit » Logged

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:44:40 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:44:40 AM »

I am a little late to this thread, but...  I have tried everything with mixed success.  I used clothing with some success and I hated most of the inflatables.  Then I tried the Exped Air pillow size medium.  This one is the best I have tried. I have used it for backpacking, bike touring, and bikepacking so I have had hundreds of nights of pleasant sleep with it.  It is well worth the 2.5 ounces and minimal added bulk.

I have not tried the Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight which looks like a copy of the exped.

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 04:29:53 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »

Take shoes off put them under the bivy to raise the head up then whatever else to make up the desired height/comfort. Nothing extra or specific as a pillow.

For deluxe luxury I've used an old discarded water wing, those things little kids wear around their arms while swimming. Open it up by cutting along the seam, careful to not puncture it. Put a knee warmer over it, good to go.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24:19 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »

I've tried a few of the inflatable backpacking pillows.  They are ok when not over-inflated but often too thin.  So my annoyance is when I lay them on my backpack or something else they always seem to slide away when I roll around during the night.  Spare clothing in a stuff sack works ok too and can have a bit more bulk which makes for a better pillow but only when I'm not wearing most of my clothing.   

When I had to replace my pad last year I found the Klymit Inertia Ozone which has a built in pillow.  The pad is super light already and having the integrated pillow means it won't slide away on me.  I usually put shoes or pack underneath the pillow it to prop it up a bit.  Works well enough.  The pad is quite thin so I put a thermarest Z-sit pad under it where my hips are - makes it comfortable enough for side sleeping. 

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »

Klymit Intertia Ozone full length pad, which has its own separate chamber for a pillow. The pillow chamber is shaped with seams to make it depressed in the middle, so your head doesn't slide off. HInt: Don't over-inflate the pillow. A jacket or another soft piece of unused piece of clothing to keep skin off the pad/bag.
Also, the Intertia pad has rails along the edges, which helps keep you centered on the pad and not constantly sliding off.
For such a minimal pad/pillow, it's pretty amazing how comfortable it sleeps.

Topic Name: Camp pillow? Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:22 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »

Take shoes off put them under the bivy to raise the head up then whatever else to make up the desired height/comfort.

I used to do this backpacking. Now I live in the land of poison ivy, so shoes are a serious no-go. I found shoving a water bottle under my pad does a pretty darn good job.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: