Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:44 AM
Tinga

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »

I've had a DSLR for a couple years now and only started bike packing recently so I'm not looking to switch cameras but I am asking if you guys think attaching my camera to my bike would be a bad idea.

My plan is to DIY a purpose built camera to attach to a rear rack on my bike. The pack will be water proof, padded and a snug fit. I will secure it tightly to the rack.

Any Questions, comments or concerns you guys can foresee?

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:29 AM
charvel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

Howdy
I've been thru several DSLr(s) with approx. 25K miles of bike travel.  They really take a beating, so------there are many compact digil cams, they are light weight, small and  pics are capable of 10X12s with quality.  Light weight = less gs,  and lot cheaper than DSLR.   I try to ahere to the no. 1 rule of travel-----don't carry anything that you don't want to lose, break, get stolen or sale!   This does not help a lot I spect----just a few thoughts that work for me.  However----------
If you want to spend the bucks for a high  end Nikon Pro level cam-----it also severs as a tent anchor, weapon, wheel chock, dog defense, boat anchor etc.   I'm currently using a D5300 with a Nikon zoom.  I've had good luck with this cam/lens.  I hasten to add, I do use extreme packing/padding.  The bubble packing makes a good insulation against jarring and such.  Hopes this helps.   coy

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:59 PM
Sparkyga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »

Hmm let me think of all the DSLR stuff I've destroyed. 2 cameras, 4 lenses, 1 laptop and an uncountable number of SD cards. Gave up carrying a fancy camera after awhile and just used a phone Smiley

But I found mirrorless cameras to be more durable overall and sticking with prime lenses seem to last a bit longer than zooms. I've used a Fuji Xpro1 for quite some time and loved it overall. I was carrying it in a Revelate Pocket Handlebar Bag and it worked out just fine through Africa. Not a totally waterproof solution so when the rains hit I stuffed it into main waterproof handlebar bag plus kept it in a secondary dry bag. Worked just fine for gravel tracks and tarmac but I wouldn't recommend it for hardcore single rack if your crashing into things often.

Try looking around the bikepacking.com website; the owner of the website carries some serious photography equipment on his trips and I believe he was using a backpack for the camera with a feedbag for a second lens.

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:17 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »

I have destroyed multiple cameras by strapping them to the bike and riding off road for thousands of miles.  No more!  These days I use a Canon G7X, which gives me quite good photos in a small size - point and shoot size, full manual controls, 1" sensor.  The tradeoff is no swappable lenses.  Made a tiny hip pack/fanny pack to carry it - easy to access, and the body is a pretty dang good suspension device, preventing damage.  I don't wear a backpack and hate carrying stuff on my person, but this little hip pack disappears.  (Note: this little bag was a product we sold in our monthly limited edition series and is not currently available.)

* Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 7.56.41 AM.png (857.63 KB, 847x559 - viewed 1704 times.)

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:38:52 AM
zuren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »

My wife is a pro photographer and she lets me play with her equipment a little (Nikon D700 and D750).  I cannot imagine taking that gear on any kind of a trip where carrying the weight, keeping things dry, and keeping things safe would be major considerations.  Even the smaller, hobbiest DLSRs are heavy and take up major room.

We had looked at the new Sony mirrorless DSLRs (Alpha series) for nice equipment to take on trips.  A colleague of hers traded in all his Nikon gear and went 100% Sony and doesn't regret it; the bodies are half the size and weight of most Canon and Nikon DSLRs.  The major hurdle for her/us is that she is fully invested in Nikon bodies and lenses, and doesn't do many events where she is carrying multiple cameras on her person, so it doesn't make sense to get anything that isn't compatible with Nikon.

So my advise - buy the best small digital camera you can with the best built-in OPTICAL ZOOM lens or look at the Sony Alpha (and competing cameras) that are small but have interchangeable lenses. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:45:02 AM by zuren » Logged

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:06 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »

I've had a DSLR for a couple years now and only started bike packing recently so I'm not looking to switch cameras but I am asking if you guys think attaching my camera to my bike would be a bad idea.

My plan is to DIY a purpose built camera to attach to a rear rack on my bike. The pack will be water proof, padded and a snug fit. I will secure it tightly to the rack.

Did you say purpose built camera?  I will guess you mean build your own camera bag.  I suggest you carry your camera on your body.  Back pack. belt pack, pocket.  Why? your body filters out the vibrations and bumps.  The camera will last longer in a back pack than a bike bag.

The top of the rack hits the ground every time the bike hits the ground.  If you must carry it on the bike, make a handlebar bag.  The handlebar bag will come into contact with the ground very few times.   Yes bicycles do tip over, sometimes hard.

The Sony rx 100 series is the best pocket camera you can get.

photo tip:
A bag of rice works as a tripod.  If you eat your rice, there is no weight penalty.
30 sec  f 4
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:48:10 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: Bike packing with a DSLR Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Alpinist112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »

I also would like to experiment carrying my older Canon DSLR. My plan is to keep camera on me, in front, on my chest using Ortlieb strap.

I already have bag: https://ortliebusa.com/product/aqua-zoom/
Strap is from Ortlieb and I have to buy it before my May trip: https://ortliebusa.com/product/camera-bag-harness-system/

I am not sure is it going to obstruct my breathing or increase sweating but I will try. It rains a lot here at Pacific West Coast and my camera will be protected. This experiment will be for mostly gravel, fire roads or logging roads trips.

Zoran

Advocate Cycles Hyduke
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: