Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:26 AM
chris1991

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »

New to this bike packing but i really fancy doing this after uni this summer from manchester to la rochelle in south france over ten days! Gonna do a little tester in the peak district, but having looked at my options for sleeping im abit unsure whats best? Please bare in mind im on a budget here!
I like the idea of a tent rather than just a bivvy, but im open to all suggestions!
bivvy and tent?
sleeping bag and tent?
just a bivvy?
or bivvy and a tarp held up by my bike?

My trip will be in summer so temperatures shouldnt plummit to much!

Thanks for all your help!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:48:33 AM by chris1991 » Logged

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:16 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

A few thoughts:

Are bugs an issue? If so, you will need protection. This could mean a tent, a bug bivy (just mesh) with a tarp, a weatherproof bivy, or some tarp/bugproof hybrid like the Henry Shires Tarptent products.

I like a tarp (which I do hold up with my bike, or attach to a tree, or use found sticks) because it is so lightweight, I do not have bug issues and I am not usually in a hurry (setup can be longer with a tarp as you decide the best setup for particular conditions). Tarps are very versatile- they can be set up in many configurations depending on needs (low and wind/rainproof, higher and airy/open, etc). My kit includes a tarp, a tyvek groundcloth and up to 12 stakes.

Tents can be a challenge because of dimensions and weight. Pole length is usually not that conducive to situating on the bike and they are generally on the heavier side. Those that have shorter pole sections and are super lightweight (Big Agnes Seedhouse or Fly Creek and other similar products) are quite pricey. In excess of $300 typically. Tents do give a more complete feeling of enclosure, though, which can translate to a better sleep. That is not something to be taken lightly.

Bivies are probably the lightest option for total weather protection as they use the least amount of material. But they can feel confining. I have only used one once and it was ok, but I wasn’t totally sold. I sleep on my side and curl up a bit and this was difficult in a staked bivy. If considering this, I would definitely choose a version that has a loop pole to hold material up away from your face. Outdoor Research has three models worth looking at – Alpine, Helium or Advanced. They make a very rugged product. If you can, get in one and see how it feels before purchasing.

Then there are combination options. The Henry Shires tarptents are awesome, but also pricey. But the combination of a tarp with netting for buggy conditions results in a super light shelter that is bombproof in pretty much all conditions. Worth looking into. If I were heady to a buggy place, I might get a bug bivy and use it with my tarp.

The last thing I will say is consider if you will be travelling alone or with someone else. A not too light 2-person tent might be perfectly light if you divide the weight among two riders. Similarly, a biyy only serves one, so if you are trying to get a friend or romantic partner interested in this, they will need a place to sleep, too. A tarp that can cover two people is a good option too. Mine does that and so if I go with my son, for example, all I need is an additional groundcloth.

I also wasn’t clear if you were asking about using a bivy instead of a sleeping bag. That really depends on your area and temperatures. I have a 45 degree down REI bag that packs super small for summer camping (got it at a Scratch and Dent sale for $50). But when temps are really high, I can get away with just a SOL Adventure bivy which is good to about 55F. And its REALLY small and light. Also waterproof and breathable. With my warm weather bag, it is warm to about 35F. It’s about $45. I also have a cold weather bag good to 20F for spring, fall and early winter.

Good luck! Part of the pleasure of bikepacking is figuring all of this stuff out and compiling the setup that best suits your particular need and proclivities. The two things I strive to protect myself from are bad weather (rain and wind) and cold (and I would add biting insects if we had them). If those are covered, a not-so-great pitch still won’t ruin your experience.

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:55 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »

I been bivvyin' all my days. A hoop bivvy is luxury for me. You'll always get wet getting inside any tent or bivvy in the rain, it's just part of the game. I like that I can hide in mine, and that I get it set up and broken down lighting fast.

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:11:28 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

A few thoughts:

Are bugs an issue? If so, you will need protection. This could mean a tent, a bug bivy (just mesh) with a tarp, a weatherproof bivy, or some tarp/bugproof hybrid like the Henry Shires Tarptent products.

I like a tarp (which I do hold up with my bike, or attach to a tree, or use found sticks) because it is so lightweight, I do not have bug issues and I am not usually in a hurry (setup can be longer with a tarp as you decide the best setup for particular conditions). Tarps are very versatile- they can be set up in many configurations depending on needs (low and wind/rainproof, higher and airy/open, etc). My kit includes a tarp, a tyvek groundcloth and up to 12 stakes.

Tents can be a challenge because of dimensions and weight. Pole length is usually not that conducive to situating on the bike and they are generally on the heavier side. Those that have shorter pole sections and are super lightweight (Big Agnes Seedhouse or Fly Creek and other similar products) are quite pricey. In excess of $300 typically. Tents do give a more complete feeling of enclosure, though, which can translate to a better sleep. That is not something to be taken lightly.

Bivies are probably the lightest option for total weather protection as they use the least amount of material. But they can feel confining. I have only used one once and it was ok, but I wasn’t totally sold. I sleep on my side and curl up a bit and this was difficult in a staked bivy. If considering this, I would definitely choose a version that has a loop pole to hold material up away from your face. Outdoor Research has three models worth looking at – Alpine, Helium or Advanced. They make a very rugged product. If you can, get in one and see how it feels before purchasing.

Then there are combination options. The Henry Shires tarptents are awesome, but also pricey. But the combination of a tarp with netting for buggy conditions results in a super light shelter that is bombproof in pretty much all conditions. Worth looking into. If I were heady to a buggy place, I might get a bug bivy and use it with my tarp.

The last thing I will say is consider if you will be travelling alone or with someone else. A not too light 2-person tent might be perfectly light if you divide the weight among two riders. Similarly, a biyy only serves one, so if you are trying to get a friend or romantic partner interested in this, they will need a place to sleep, too. A tarp that can cover two people is a good option too. Mine does that and so if I go with my son, for example, all I need is an additional groundcloth.

I also wasn’t clear if you were asking about using a bivy instead of a sleeping bag. That really depends on your area and temperatures. I have a 45 degree down REI bag that packs super small for summer camping (got it at a Scratch and Dent sale for $50). But when temps are really high, I can get away with just a SOL Adventure bivy which is good to about 55F. And its REALLY small and light. Also waterproof and breathable. With my warm weather bag, it is warm to about 35F. It’s about $45. I also have a cold weather bag good to 20F for spring, fall and early winter.

Good luck! Part of the pleasure of bikepacking is figuring all of this stuff out and compiling the setup that best suits your particular need and proclivities. The two things I strive to protect myself from are bad weather (rain and wind) and cold (and I would add biting insects if we had them). If those are covered, a not-so-great pitch still won’t ruin your experience.

What he said.

I research the area I'm going to, then break it down to simple points to define my sleep system for the trip:

Weather type?
Temperatures?
Bugs?
Severity of the above?
Vegetation type?
Terrain type?
Luxury or fast and light?
Stealth or social?
Privacy or swinging in the breeze?

For the variety of trips that I do and enjoy, there is no perfect one sleep system for me, but I have an array of different modules that work for a custom situation. 

Modules:
- OR Alpine bivvy, SOL emergency bivvy
- waterbloc sleeping bags, regular down bags, synthetic bags, mummy bags and hoodless bags
- silk and synthetic liners
- 1 and 2 man tarps (as tarps, groundsheets, groundsheet and cover - wrapped over like a bivy)
- 1 man groundsheet
- 1 and 2 man bug nets
- Tarptent Contrail
- Vaude Power Lizard
- short and long hammocks
- z-lite pads, synmats, downmats, self inflate thermarests

Knowing how this stuff works in given environments is key to putting together a near perfect system for each trip. Might be sleeping on snow and 40 below on one trip, and hangin in a hammock on a tropical beach on another.

Remember - good gear costs good money, so buy good gear to suit your purpose and it will serve you for many years.

I know this doesn't give you a direct answer, but I think it is an essential, logical foundation tool to learn and apply - not only for your sleep system, but also for other kit you need.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, he'll eat for a lifetime...

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »

Some thoughts I jotted down last year...

http://churningbutter.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/gimme-shelter-or-shelter-skelter/

*I haven't used the tarptent in a while (too bulky/heavy) , I got an Oware mid shelter to experiment with. It should meet the happy medium between a tarp and tarptent.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:24:26 AM
chris1991

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

Thanks for all your responses!!
I was a little confused at first about using both a sleeping bag and a bivvy, but i think for comfort more than anything ill go for a light sleeping bag (since its summer) and a that emergency bivvy everyone raves about with a small light tarp for any rain falls Cheesy still deciding on a foam mat to sleep on. The hoop bivvy certainly does look like the best of both worlds in terms of being nearly a tent! and after researching the bug situation certain parts may be problems so im gonna consider a head mesh since there tiny its better safe than sorry!
You are right part of the fun is working out the best ways so ill keep you updated how i get on Cheesy
Thanks again!

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:23:31 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »

Sleeping pad technology has advanced greatly since the days of foam mats or thermarests. I use a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and it is AMAZING. Best night's sleep camping I have had ever while camping. And it packs to a bit larger than a nalgene bottle. There are many other options as well. some of which are even lighter and smaller. Big Agnes has a new one out that is $80 and has a quilted appearance that is supposed to be outstanding (can't recall the name). Thermarest makes a version of these thicker, super small packing pads. Nemo makes some, etc.

Good luck getting out there!

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:52:04 AM
pedalad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »

For the GDMBR this summer I plan on using the following as my sleep system.

Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1 tent. They now call this tent the lone spring. it is much cheaper than their UL offerings and the materials are a bit beefier. but you guessed it, it's also a bit heavier. i think close to 3lbs. but it is pretty slick, and roomy for a taller gent.

BA insulated air core. 2.5" off the ground, r value of 4ish. warm, comfy, packs down small, pretty light. just a PITA to inflate.

Mammut spring down bag. 20deg. weighs 2.5lb.

Sea to Summit Coolmax adaptor liner.

Total: I've got 5lb and a chunk of cheddar in it all, but I should be comfortable and that is important to me.

love to ride.

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:59 AM
mtndragon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »

Another option if you are traveling where there are trees or a viable structure is a hammock.  This is my preferred sleep system for comfort and weather protection.  The whole kit attaches to a handlebar sling and provides quality sleep.  It may not be the best for all people in all situations, but just another option to consider-

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:32 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »

Hi Chris,

I went with a Hexamid Solo. It is really a rainfly with a bug screen. Super simple and weights 15.9 oz. For a bag, I went with the Zpacks 20 Deg. Mummy bag, 16.7 oz. The Therm. neoair is 12 oz. Total sleep system is under 3 lbs. Have had no failures yet.

Topic Name: Best Sleeping Setup Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:30 PM
Solo Bikepacker

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm gone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »

My setup up is
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/ultralite_backpacker_asym_ http://www.undergroundquilts.com/tq/default.html
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-xl.html

Total weight 3 lb 11 oz

The last few years I spending a lot of time Bikepacking from over night trips to long distance tours across Asia  Forcusing mainly on the Ho Chi Minh Trail
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: