Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? on: July 12, 2016, 04:04:19 AM
Big Jim Mac

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:04:19 AM »

I've been riding with Sidi Dominator shoes, and have never been impressed with walking in them. Apparently Sidi caters to people who can actually ride, who knew! :-) Anyway, looking for something that's easier to walk in for those trail sections you just can't ride. Any ideas? I wear size 14 (EU 48) so that has ruled out Maxis and a lot of others that don't go this big.

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:41:13 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:41:13 AM »

This http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Men's/Footwear/Cycling%20Shoes/Men's%20X-Alp%20Enduro%20IV/p/151140034GV39.0 has been a go to for years.

Here's the main site page http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Men's/Footwear/Cycling%20Shoes/Men's%20X-Alp%20Enduro%20IV/p/151140032FJ48.0

The previous generation was maybe a little more flexible but these are still a great walking shoe I think the new version maybe even more durable.

Sidi does not look like a shoe for HAB, although if you can stand to walk in them they seem durable.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:51:06 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:48:16 AM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:48:16 AM »

Another vote for the Alp Enduro IV. Great shoe - plenty stiff enough for efficient pedaling and very comfortable.

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:13 AM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:13 AM »

+1 on the above.  I found that buying my enduro IV a size big was the smart choice, since the ratchets allow you to snug them up tight for riding while giving extra room for comfort on long trips or with thick socks.

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:31:45 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »

I have the older XAlp... not sure on model. Good shoe. Bought a size up.

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:42:06 AM
Big Jim Mac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »

Thanks all, I've looked at these many times but wondered if the plastic ratchets are up to the task? I broke the ones on my Sidis (that was quite a crash!) but they sell replacements. Not sure about Pearl? They are on sale now on the PI site for $85 if you get the yellow/blue color.

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:51 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »

I was also skeptical of the ratchet and people have lost the screw or a pin but I haven't seen or heard of them breaking. Also as to sizing I would say best to put the shoe on first to make sure. They only do full sizes, for one thing. You might end up wearing a size up or down from what Sidi calls 48 and what PI calls 48.

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:11:20 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »

Unless you're doing some serious bushwhacking, or traversing steep talus fields, I don't see how the buckles are going to be endangered by your average HAB.

Agreed on ordering up a size with the Enduros - I normally wear a 9.5 (43) and I went with a 44. Glad I did.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:54:48 AM by Smithhammer » Logged

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:25:58 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »

I've had 2 pairs of x-alp enduro's IV's out of 5 work for me.

1)First pair stripped out cleat plate on brand new shoe. Returned no questions asked, over the counter exchange.
2)Second pair lasted a bit over a year. Big trips, Chilcotins, New Zealand touring, AZT 300 all my day to day riding (north shore and squamish). Great. Done after the AZT.
3)Third pair the same. Chilcotins, CTR, Arizona Touring, held together with shoe goo for the AZT 300 again this year plus all of my day to day riding.
4)Fourth pair. (black and grey ones)Cracked the sole on them first ride riding an aggressive trail, Jump, land, weird feeling in bottom of foot, cracked plate, cleat tore out. Return for warranty.
5)Warrantied pair (black and grey ones)guy at the shop I got them from stripped the cleat plate right out of the box. Money back. Too late to get new shoes before AZT this year, Shoe Goo'd 3rd pair and made it. They were beat but they held up so well.  

The two pair that did work lasted about a year each of serious abuse. They were great. Arguably the best bike shoes I've ever had. Comfortable for me. Wish they dried a bit faster but the tongue is rather foamy which adds to the comfort of the shoe. Can't have it all I guess.. From my experience the ratchet was totally fine, I had no issues with it.

The stripped cleat plate wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to completely mangle the shoe under the insole with a box cutter to access it. This leaves it susceptible to water entering the bottom. Not ok where I ride.

I've since switched to Giro Terraduro's for the last few months. They're ok. Some glaring deficiencies, some of which I've somewhat rectified, others not so much. We'll see how they do next week on the CTR.
Also had some Giro Privateers, the first round with the super slippery tread. They look good, are super comfortable to ride in but are crap for walking as the tread has zero traction on anything remotely moist.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:08:05 AM by Addy Marx » Logged

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Best clipless shoes for hike-a-bike? Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:07:49 PM
Big Jim Mac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »

Looks like these shoes are no longer available, but I did find a pair in my size at Moosejaw. Going to give them a try, look like they would work for the hike a bike and in camp, saving me the weight of the sandals I usually pack. Thanks all.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: