Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Best aero bars? on: November 07, 2015, 06:32:27 AM
Broke That

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »

I have used flat bars for as long as I've been riding mtbs (started in '84.)
But my recent dabbling in long distance bikepacking has shown me that I
need more options in hand positioning. My recent issue manifested itself
after a 175 mile S24 (well almost S24, it took 28hrs.) My right pinky has
be rather numb for the last two weeks. I have decided to give my hands
a break and hope that time off the bike will help.
My point is that I'm looking for some aero bar clip on options. Hoping to
take some weight off my hands during these long rides.
Any suggestions?

I once was fast, now I'm long.

Topic Name: Best aero bars? Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:03:33 AM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »

How much of a weight weenie are you? I have these Bontragers and love them. They are light, and I dont have any numbness issues on rides the length of which you speak of. I did a 150 miler the other day without any numbness issues, the previous year I had some numb fingers for 3 weeks:
http://www.bontrager.com/model/07025

Profile designs makes a similar one that is heavier.
http://www.profile-design.com/product/aerobars/t3-plus-carbon/

Dont forget your Fred bars to put them in the correct position for long distance comfort!
http://www.sirenbicycles.com/collections/all

Also, flip up elbow pads are awesome if you don't want to love out on hand positions when you aren't in aero mode. Make sure they are the correct diameter for the bars you pick.

I also really like TOGS for regular flat bars if not going to use aero bars that day:
http://togs.com/

Topic Name: Best aero bars? Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:38 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »

I have some basic AL Profile T1+ aero bars. They work wonders and are waaaay more affordable, often found on ebay for $50-80. I also had some AirStrykes with the flip up rests. Super cool concept, but I found I'd rather be in the aero bars than on the flats of my drop bars, and the flip up pieces got in the way of my face when I was in the drops. YMMV.

Hed also makes some super weight weenie aero bars, but they may be less flexible in positioning.

Topic Name: Best aero bars? Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:53 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »

I've personally had good luck with various Profile bars. I would try and visit an LBS that has some of the models in stock so you can get a better idea of what position your wrists will be in when using the various models. Some of the Profile bars angled my wrists too far forward for me to be comfortable. I went with a bar with a touch more "rise" at the end so my wrists were in more of a neutral position. I personally wouldn't both with the extra expense of carbon aero bars, aluminum ones work just fine.

Depending on whether or not you have the room in your spacer stack, a Fred Bar might work for mounting the aero bars. Profile also makes spacers so that the bars sit higher and you're not as hunched over while using them. I used 10 or 15 mm of extra spacers for the set on my Fargo just to make them a touch more comfortable over multiple days when speed isn't at a premium.

Topic Name: Best aero bars? Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:49:36 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:49:36 AM »

Also make sure to get one that lets you adjust the elbow pad location. A lot of cheap (and really high end) aero bars put the pad in a fixed location. This works ok, but I find depending on stem length and all, I like my elbow pads to be way closer to me than the default location. Remember, we use the aero bars not for aero, but for resting, so it needs to be a super comfortable position.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: