Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:49 AM
Jasn

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »

Completely new to Bikepacking.

I'm doing the Trans-Cambrian Way in the UK in June this year.
my question may be a "duh!" moment, but Bed rolls, how do you organise them? I'm going to use a mountain hardware ultra light full length pad, synthetic bag (it's wet in Wales), a pertex liner and bivvy bag. Do you assemble it as you would use it, roll it up and put it in a dry bag, or do you leave it in it's separate packages and pack this.
My friend is lending me a seat pack, but I thought I might put it in a dry bag on the bars and use the rear for clothes. I will also use a Salomon Mountain Marathon back pack for food, cooking stuff etc.

Any advice would be useful, many thanks for your help.

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:55:23 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »

Sounds like a convenient way to go, but I am thinking it would be too bulky. It's worth a try tho. I think people do this with snow setups.

I use a synthetic bag during the rainy season as well.

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:44 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:10:44 AM »

I roll up my bag (down) pad and bivi altogether. It all fits in a small S2S eVent dry bag. A synthetic bag might be a bit bulky and rub on the front tire if your using a suspension fork.

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:59 AM
Jasn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

Thanks, thought it might be bulky. I do have a down bag but it's rated to -12c. Might be a bit warm. Have found the packing video on Porcelain Rockets' site, which was really useful. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:08:14 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »

I carry my sleeping bag inside of my bivy and stuffed into a small dry bag that straps to my bars. In the dry bag also goes a full length air mattress and tyvek ground sheet. I've used booth down and synthetic and choose based on expected moisture. I find that things pack better when not in their own stuff sacks. Plus you save a little bit of weight by not having the stuff sacks.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:17 PM
Jasn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »

Thanks bart, I'm going to try it out, how big a stuff sack do you use?

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:23 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

I use two different dry bags depending on how much space and durability I want. The larger more durable bag is 20L and smaller lighter weight is 13L. The larger one is a more traditional dry bag material (pvc?) and is quite durable. The smaller one is fraction the weight and is made of ultra-sil nylon and would not likely survive a real crash. I found that I really like the extra weight on the bars when I've got extra weight on the seat post. It seems to help balance the bike out on steep climbs.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:04 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »

I use a down bag, but I think the principle might be the same.

I found it really hard to get the sleeping bag to pack small enough when it wasn't jammed into it's' own stuff sack. Rolling it always seemed to wind up larger. So I put the sleeping bag in stuff sack in the middle and then roll the mattress around the sleeping bag.

Since the groundsheet will likely be covered in mud, I then fold it in half so the dirt layers are against each other and the clean side showing and then roll that around the outside of the whole lot. Total packing up time is still pretty racey if you want it to be or leisurely if you are carrying a stove and making coffee.

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:30:31 PM
dadana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

I use a Revelate Designs seat pack, stuff my tent and rain fly in first (the wedge towards the seat post),  stuff my Mt Hardware down bag in a 20 ml dry sack and slide it in the pack. Then I slide in the poles and pegs and seal it up. I use a Big Agnes pad which fits in a Salsa Anything cage on my front fork.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:37:02 PM by dadana » Logged

Topic Name: Bedrolls and how to carry them Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:43 AM
Jasn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »

Thanks Guy's some useful tips, I used to do mountain marathons, where you carried all your kit on you back, and basically just stuffed it in to the smallest ruck sack you could. It's finding space on the bike and balancing it that I find difficult. Looks like I'll have to try a few combinations, my experienced friend is in Texas at the moment working, so I'm going to pick his brains when he gets back as well. Thanks again, I learned a lot in a short space of time.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: