Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... on: June 26, 2019, 09:46:05 PM
bschooly

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »

OK. I'm looking for suggestions on my next bike. I'm kind of at a "bike cross road". I've been mostly a roadie over the years where typically I put in anywhere from 50-80 miles/ride with occasional centuries. On the road I'm primarily interested is comfort w/o giving up "too much performance". I do mostly group and charity rides here in North Texas where the terrain is mostly flat but there are some hills now and then.

Over the last year or so I've developed persistent neck (right at the spine/shoulder intersection) pain. I'm currently doing weight training and trying to slowly introduce more miles but it is becoming clear that I may need a more relaxed geometry bike (I currently ride a Kuota Kebel). So to address this I'm looking at endurance and road/gravel bikes. Essentially larger tires (or at least the option to run them), less aggressive geometry etc.

I've also become interested in bike packing (hence my post here). I'm planning some tours for the upcoming year with the goal of doing the tour divide (ride not race_ next summer. So I'm also looking a bike packing bikes and possibly road tours down the road...

The first question which drives all others is: Is there bike that I can ride to keep up with my roadies but (with wheel/tire change) allow me to do "not so technical" routes like the Tour Divide?  I know this is a stretch but it seems the move to larger tires and relaxed geometries is making this a real possibility.

My ideal bike is:

- light
- has relaxed, longish wheel base/slack steering for stability (while being decent on the road)
- mechanical disc brakes
- tire width max near 2.25 to 2.5 inches
- 29/700 with 650 as option wheels (tubeless)
- wide gear range
- gates belt drive as option
- single (?) 1X chainring
- rolhoff hub option
- dynamo hub option
- braze ons for bottles, front fork, seat stays, top tube
- drops handlebars
- through axles
- internal cable routing
- capable of hauling light to medium bike packing loads.

As an aside, I don't really get the seat bag use as opposed to a light weight rack. Admittedly I'm new and have no experience but the whole bag only bikepacking seems wrong to me unless you are (1) racing (2) doing weekend tours. The weight up high, the movement issues, and problem accessing the gear in the bag seem to point me towards a rack (they make light weight carbon ones now).

Really interested in hearing about your experience and suggestions on these topics.

Bill

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:05:21 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »

Let me get this straight. You want a bike with 2.5" knobby tires, an internally geared hub, and you want to be able to keep up with roadies on it?

It does sorta sound like the Seven Scrambler (https://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/sevenduro-2x2-scrambler.php) might be your best bet. They build fully custom, so they could add in belt and IGH compatibility, plus the bike is designed to nicely run "skinny" 700c tires and "fat" 650b tires.

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:50:06 AM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »

bikepack seat bag works better for narrow singletrack and hike a bike

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:53 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:53 PM »

Don’t build anything custom until you try a style of riding out for a bit...
Rohloff is great for certain types of riding... I do not like it for technical single track.
And it is a heavy piece of kit.

I bought a Fargo to do what you want to do... just wanted to add the Rohloff option to it, wish it had the alternator dropouts when I got mine. Loved that bike - so many great adventures from single track to forest roads and even gravel / dirt / paved brevets. Miss it.

But something serviceable and relatively inexpensive. Beat the piss out of it. Then build something that fits your style when you get it dialed in.

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:17:35 PM
bschooly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »

Thanks all for the comments. I've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on the cutthroat.... Maybe the best thing to do is get it, then see where that leads me...

I can always get another bike that'll handle road and gravel..

I'm 5'8 with 31 inseam, anyone have any comments on the cutthroat sizing for me. I've run 54cm on my road bike but I think I'm near the limit (towards being too large)

Bill

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

Kind of off the wall thought here. I've ridden out of Banff 3 times so far on regular rides on the TD route and will be heading South in august with my wife on our mountain tandem. One thing that I have done many times is to watch grand depart videos and videos that people have made on the way. I look to see what they're riding. What the gearing is. How they run their loadout. etc...
It can be a real eye opener.

Myself I ride a Foundry Firetower with a Shimano XT/XTR 2x10 drivertrain and a Lauf fork. With 2.3" Mezcals, I can't keep up with a road bike but for a mountain bike, I can put in some distance.

Topic Name: Asked a thousand times... Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 02:01:27 PM
trail_monkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 02:01:27 PM »

https://theradavist.com/2016/09/morgan-and-stephanies-soma-wolverine-dirt-tourers-morgan-taylor/

For what it’s worth I own a 2019 Fargo and a first generation Wolverine that’s been everywhere. I can’t stay off the Wolverine. Thinking I wasted my money on the Fargo but still a kick ass bike
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:06:47 PM by trail_monkey » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: