Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. on: October 22, 2009, 08:55:23 PM
efuentes

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »

After riding around on my Racer-x fully locked out most of the time I decided to put together a Monster Cross or DropBar 29er to see if that would be better suited to the endless miles of dirt roads around my town.

I rescued an aging Raleigh hybrid frame and after a week of scrubbing, painting and digging deep in my parts bin I came out with this contraption.

Needless to say, it has become my favorite bike, simple, tough, cheap, perfect  thumbsup

Now, as much as I like the bike, what I like best its the kind of bike it is, so I started looking for basically the same thing, but in a lighter, more up to date and classier bike. Then I found Rawland Bikes and I think that finally found what I am looking for. Disks, 650 or 700 wheels, cool and designed for a drop bar.

Do somebody on the forum has any experience with it?

Thanks for your help. 

For info on Mexico's Copper Canyon http://coppercanyongate.blogspot.com

Carpe Diem, Fellow bikers

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:17 AM
rothar

Rawland Drakkar fixed gear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »

Hi There,

Sorry if this ends up being a double-post (I tried to reply earlier, but it doesn't appear to have gone through...)...
I ride a Rawland Drakkar (700c, fixed-only as there's no provision for a rear brake) extensively off-road and it's a great bike: light, responsive, sturdy, comfortable. Strongly recommend a Rawland. I tried earlier to post a pic or two... let me know if you need 'em.

Cheers!

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:37 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:37 AM »

efuentes

no help with the Rowland but I was wondering what tires you have on the contraption. They loop like Michelin TransWorld Sprints. I have used this tire on 700c rims squeezed into a 26 inch Kona Explosif frame/rigid Surley fork, with the sliders all the way back they fit fine. I am not a big fan of drop bars I have Mary's on mine and use it for about what you describe. 700 is a great wheel size IMO I also have a 29er FS bike for more rugged trails but I also like the light weight fast rolling skinny tires. I call mine a comfort cross or mountain cross depending on what I am riding.

I have a set of 29x1.85 tires coming I really hope it will fit in the back I know it fits the front as I can run up to 29x2.2 there. What I want is the biggest possible tire in the back but there aren't a lot of choices in the 40c plus range for CycleCross.

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:28:02 PM
efuentes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

Rothar,

How did you got a hold of a Dakkar, I have been trying to get one but they are not available yet. Please post picts.

AzTripper,

The tires are 700x40c IRC MythosCX Slick, and are a very fat 40c, I just finished a trip on very rocky terrain and holdup really good.

Saludos

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:13:15 PM
rothar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »

efuentes,

I got this one a bit over a year ago; I think it was an earlier incarnation of the soon-to-be-available-again drakkar. Here's a link to a photo gallery, as I continue to have difficulty uploading pics to this site. The build is the same with the addition of an axiom "journey" rear rack and occasionally a mini front rack. A lot of the time there're SKS fenders, too.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LyleBogart/Drakkar#

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:21:19 PM
efuentes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

Sweet bike, looks like a Dsogn but without brake tabs. Nice Swift, I have to try one of those.

Have you tried dirt drop bars? On-Ones, WTB Dirtdrops?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:29:48 PM by efuentes » Logged

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:19 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »

AzTripper,

The tires are 700x40c IRC MythosCX Slick, and are a very fat 40c, I just finished a trip on very rocky terrain and holdup really good.

Saludos

Thanks those looks sweet I found some on Ebay if the WTB's don't work out I will get some.

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:55 PM
rothar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »

efuentes,

Yup, the frames are basically the same; this one's just a touch more stripped down Smiley That saddle's not a swift; it's a velo-orange "model 6" saddle. It's super comfy right out of the box and even after many miles in the saddle... I haven't tried dirt drops, though I thought about it. I'm actually thinking about putting on an albatross (nitto "north road") on, maybe inverted, as that would provide even more width for cranking the bike up steep hills.

Sláinte!

lyle

Topic Name: Any Rawlands on the group. Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:30:44 PM
efuentes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

This is a better photo of the tires

Saludos

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: