Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Aftermarket fork for Krampus: Fargo v2 or Krampus on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:18 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »

This is just a brain-picking, brainstorming session. I understand I've got to make my own decision, but if anybody is willing to help, I appreciate it.

I have ordered a Krampus frameset and am in possession of an old Fargo v2 fork.
I am trying to figure out whether the old Fargo fork will work and not mess up the geometry/handling.
I like it better for the options it provides in terms of bottle/rack mounts, but not if it makes the bike any less comfortable.
If I could use the old beat up Fargo fork, I could also try to sell the Krampus fork since it's not really necessary for me.
Tire clearance is not a factor in this decision, as I will be running standard 29er tires and I have seen people successfully use Knard/RH combos on the fargo fork.

For the sake of saving anybody's time who has interest in helping me, I will post the specs of these two forks as thoroughly as I can.
Fargo V2:
80mm suspension corrected
468mm Axle to Crown
51mm IS Disc Mount Only
Uncut Steerer is 300mm
45mm Rake

Edit: Remaining steer tube is ~233mm

Krampus:
Axle-to-crown: 483mm
Offset: 47mm
Steerer: 260mm

In short, the Krampus' rake is 2mm more, the A-C is 15mm longer, and the steerer tube (uncut) is 40mm shorter, but about an inch longer than the Fargo's cut steerer tube.
Could the differences be compensated for with different steerer tube lengths?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:20:55 PM by Moyo » Logged

Topic Name: Aftermarket fork for Krampus: Fargo v2 or Krampus Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:27:51 AM
mbanzi

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »

There is a version of the Krampus fork that has all the mounts similar to the ECR fork - I just got one for my Krampus. Also considered a Salsa fork initially but this was a cheaper solution.

Topic Name: Aftermarket fork for Krampus: Fargo v2 or Krampus Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:13:20 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »

Krampus aftermarket for with eyelets///

Topic Name: Aftermarket fork for Krampus: Fargo v2 or Krampus Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:41:42 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »

I guess I should be more clear and say that the old beat up Fargo fork is my preference as long as it doesn't mess with the geometry much.
The standard krampus fork is what I've got so unless I were able to sell it or the same price as the black bossed one buying the new one doesn't really make sense for me at the moment.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: