Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Advice re road bike NC500 on: July 28, 2020, 02:14:21 PM
PeterPacker

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »

Hi - I'm completely new to the idea of bikepacking but please bear with me. Looking for some advice please.

I'd like to do the North Coast 500 Miles in Scotland in late August. It's a fully tarmac route. I have a carbon road bike and I go out fairly often. I'd like to be able to wild camp and stay fairly self sufficient.

I'm thinking about getting bike packing bags for my road bike and to use that. I've done a bit of research on the bags and gear I need. I'm thinking that I'll need a more comfortable seat and to raise the handlebars a bit. Also I've got some decent puncture resistant 25mm tyres recently (can't go bigger).

Got two questions:

-Is there anything I'm not thinking of that means my bike is completely unsuitable for that? or
-Is there anything else you'd suggest I need to do to my bike?

Thanks very much in advance for your help. Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,
Pete

Topic Name: Advice re road bike NC500 Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:08 AM
ballibeg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:15:08 AM »

Pete even on 25mm tyres you're going to very uncomfortable on back road Scotland. My other concern is bags rub frames. I'm not worried about some paint off my aluminium frame but you maybe more concerned about carbon! My gravel bike has lower gearing... Don't underestimate how weighty bags changes your need for a bigger cassette! Have fun.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: