Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally on: November 03, 2014, 06:16:55 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »

I'd first like to make the disclaimer that I know the question of wheel size has been beaten to death too many times.
Also, I want this to be clear that whoever reads this should ride whatever bike is the most fun to them.

My question is not "what wheel size is better for touring internationally", but rather, "should I be as paranoid as it seems everybody wants me to be about riding a 29er in a developing country?"

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:25 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »

If anybody reading this has been to bike shops in Latin America, Africa, Asia, please share your experiences regarding the availability of 29" tubes, tires, rims, spokes, etc. in these countries.

I've read accounts of folks stepping into bike shops in Costa Rica, South Africa, Bolivia or Colombia I believe, and finding 29 rubber or wheels. But this may be rumor created in the wishful part of my mind.

PS this situation presented itself in a companions group for an Americas tour next summer.
Somebody argued that '29 brake parts' were not to be found in developing countries. Are there ANY brakes that are wheel size specific?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:51:22 PM by Moyo » Logged

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:27:54 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

How about anywhere outside the US for that matter?

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:15 PM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »

Here is a verbal diarrhea of mine taken from that group explaining my thoughts on this issue.
Please add scenarios I haven't thought about and point to holes in my 29er fanboy logic.
"I've thought a lot about this exact issue, and still can't decide where I fall philosophically.
I'm a current owner of both a Surly Troll and a (it-doesn't matter) 29 inch mountain bike.
I don't think I'll be touring on a 26" bike.
I'm normally a very practical person, but not in this instance.
So here is how I (poorly) rationalize it.
I am a tall guy, and I have more fun on a 29" bike. It feels faster and deals with obstacles better.
Perhaps its because my 29" bike was built custom ground up by me, and so there's some subconscious attachment to the way I set it up, while the Troll was built up by somebody else with a much heavier and less playful build.
My thinking on the availability of 29er parts is this:
"What if I’m touring in Timbuktu and I need a new rim-tire-wheel? We have researched this. There’s no bike shop of any kind in Timbuktu. There’s what amounts to a general store, but it doesn’t sell bike stuff."-from Rivendell's page regarding 650b replacements.
... it's my belief that if a part fails on me in the middle of nowhere, I will be in the middle of nowhere, where not even 26 parts are available.
For this reason, I believe wheel size is irrelevant, and a rider's reserve of spares and mechanical skill is more important.
Additionally, start out with bombproof parts, maintain them, and put as little stress on parts as possible by packing light.
Some scenarios:
Tubeless 29er tire, despite surviving hundreds of punctures, fails upon receiving a sidewall cut. Possible solutions:
     1. Do an emergency boot and run a tube. Note: 26er tubes work just fine in 29er tires.
     2. Do a more robust Tire Sidewall Repair, fill with sealant, and run until tire finally quits. Some techniques here      (http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=2781.0)
     3. Install spare tire as last resort. (order new one posted to forward location).
29er spoke breaks:
     install spare spokes.
Hub Fails:
     Build new wheel with first rim, first spokes, and new hub sourced in local country.
Catastrophe: Rim completely fails.
     1. MOST Ghetto: Ride a 26" wheel sourced locally with widest tire (and widest diameter) available. This will severely affect the geometry, and likely make riding on trails or anything but pavement impossible.
     2. Source a local 29er rim/wheel: Difficult, but possible depending on location.
     3. Mail-order new wheel/parts. Likely very expensive after import taxes and shipping, but companies like Chain Reaction Cycles ship to many countries all over the world. Spend your time waiting on the new parts exploring whatever local you land in. Backpack, work on a WWOOF farm, volunteer, stay with a workaway host. This may not be an option on shorter trips, but when crossing continents, I believe I'd be okay slowing down for a week or two.

Lastly, here is my most irrational opinion regarding this issue.
I ride a bike because it is fun. I don't really have much fun on my Surly Troll. 26 wheels are certainly much more agile on trails, but they feel agile to the point of making me struggle to keep the bike upright. I ignore my obvious lack of riding ability, and blame the 26" wheels, because I feel much more stable and confident on a 29er.
My belief is: Ride the bike you like the most!"

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:20:32 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »

I prefer to ride my 29er-

I have a mid 90s 26 inch wheel bike with rim brakes.
I ride it to trail heads, stash it in the woods and go hiking.
I ride it in Mexico, because that's the kind they have parts for.  The kind every village has parts for.

I prefer to ride my 29er-

In the major cities of central and South America they have a 29er or 2 mixed in with the 26ers.  in the villages they have 26 26 and 26 with rim brakes. 

In 2008 the Oregon coast had a bike shop with 1 29er tire on the wall.  The mechanic said he was going to send it back because it was collecting dust. In 2009 Seattle  was having trouble allowing the word 29er into the English language. I had to go down to Portland to get some tires. now they are everywhere.

On November 2 2014 the bike mechanic in Oaxaca Mexico has a 29er for sale, next to his 87 26 inch wheel bikes.  In Medellin Colombia there are multiple 29ers for sale amongst the 1,000s of 26ers, in 2014.   

Similar to 2008 in Oregon.
 2014 universal cycles has 0 26 inch bikes on the show room floor

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:26:43 PM
SkinnyTraffic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »

I've thought through similar repair scenarios as well and we're on the same page. I won't ever back to 26, so that wasn't really a consideration for me. With a flexible schedule and an adventurous spirit, mechanical mishaps become part of the journey rather than a debilitating setback.

Also it's worth noting that 29in = 700c. This wouldn't be an ideal solution but presents some options for ghetto creative short-term fixes.

3. Mail-order new wheel/parts. Likely very expensive after import taxes and shipping, but companies like Chain Reaction Cycles ship to many countries all over the world. Spend your time waiting on the new parts exploring whatever local you land in. Backpack, work on a WWOOF farm, volunteer, stay with a workaway host. This may not be an option on shorter trips, but when crossing continents, I believe I'd be okay slowing down for a week or two.

I couldn't agree more! Another viable option is to call up your old riding buddies (who probably wish that they had quit their jobs and come with you), dispatch them to your LBS to pick up whatever you need and have them mail it to you. This might be easier/cheaper than dealing with a commercial parts supplier for international shipping, as it can likely be declared a "gift" and avoid a lot of taxes/fees/etc.

Good luck!

"Many a false step is made by standing still." -my fortune cookie

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:28 AM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

I knew about 700c and 29 being diametrically the same but it seems like 700c isn't any more available than 29.
Of course, this is once again based on superficial Internet research and not backed up with any personal experience.

PS the idea of having friends and family post items as gifts is a completely new (and possibly amazing) concept to me.

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:42 AM
Sparkyga

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:42 AM »

Things I've noticed about bikes in developed/developing nations:

1. If locals are riding bikes, chances are they are a different sized wheel than you can or want to run
2. Good luck finding 26" rims and tires these days. They are not as popular as a mountain bike size as they use to be. 29" and to a lesser degree, 650b's have take clearly over. Decent 700C road bike stuff is common as well.
3. When something serious breaks, order the proper part in from overseas. Way easier to order something than it is to make a local part work.
4. Do your maintenance more frequently. See bike shop: Use bike shop. Don't be cheap.
5. Use wheels and rubber that are overkill for what you are doing. It's an insurance policy and is a heck of a lot easier to do that repairing UL stuff.
6. Steel/AL/Carbon/TI frames. Doesn't matter, broken is still broken. Use what you want.
7. 29" frames take any wheel you can imagine. 26" and 700C specific bikes not so much.
8. Good luck finding anything Fatbike related.

Seriously I've had a really had a hard time chasing down 26" parts, even in developed countries. I found tons of good 700C road bike stuff for sale, plenty of 650b/29er mountain bike gear but nearly zero things related to 26" wheels.

I'm about ready to switch over from 26" to 29" soon.

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:57 PM
Wingnut

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:57 PM »

Things I've noticed about bikes in developed/developing nations:

1. If locals are riding bikes, chances are they are a different sized wheel than you can or want to run
2. Good luck finding 26" rims and tires these days. They are not as popular as a mountain bike size as they use to be. 29" and to a lesser degree, 650b's have take clearly over. Decent 700C road bike stuff is common as well.
3. When something serious breaks, order the proper part in from overseas. Way easier to order something than it is to make a local part work.
4. Do your maintenance more frequently. See bike shop: Use bike shop. Don't be cheap.
5. Use wheels and rubber that are overkill for what you are doing. It's an insurance policy and is a heck of a lot easier to do that repairing UL stuff.
6. Steel/AL/Carbon/TI frames. Doesn't matter, broken is still broken. Use what you want.
7. 29" frames take any wheel you can imagine. 26" and 700C specific bikes not so much.
8. Good luck finding anything Fatbike related.

Seriously I've had a really had a hard time chasing down 26" parts, even in developed countries. I found tons of good 700C road bike stuff for sale, plenty of 650b/29er mountain bike gear but nearly zero things related to 26" wheels.

I'm about ready to switch over from 26" to 29" soon.

Hmm...my rebuttal...please don't take it as being negative, I just don't agree with your points...

1. Pretty sure locals other than the U.S. are still riding 26"...90% of touring bikes still use 26"...

2. Don't know that I'd agree with that, also if you look at online stores other than the US, 26" tyres still seem to be the majority of tyre size available.

3. Why order it overseas when I'm sure 26" size will be in stock...and if it's not tyen order online!

4. No matter how much maintenance you do things still break...

5. Agree with that one...

6. You are more likely to get a steel frame repaired in an offbeat town or location than the other materials except maybe aluminum...

7. According to Surly a 29" will fit in a Troll...

8. Yes but fat bikes are becoming popular everywhere bone too...

26" is available here (Australia) in most bike shops because touring bikes are so popular...

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:01 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »

dream photo of wheel growing on tree 182 miles from bike shop

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »

the number of 29 inch tires for sale here

forget about a mail drop, they fail more often than they succeed

what happens when you put a 26 inch wheel on a 29 inch bike?
bottom bracket is lowered, and pedal strikes the ground.

they will put your bike on the top of the bus and transport you to who knows where
or
you can walk 2 blocks and buy a 26 inch tire
it is up to you
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:24:57 AM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:01 AM
Obinjatoo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:01 AM »

I'm on. Gen 1 Salsa Fargo. At the moment I'm running 700x38. Which keeps me stuck to pavement more or less.
However, I'm a little bored with this. I'm in Lima and 29 ers abound. I'm going to switch my tires back to 29ers and get the hell off pavement. I am NOT a mechanic, I can fix a few things. I like the comment about mechanical mishaps and failures canbe seen as part of the adventure not a huge set back. I agree that WOOFing and other volunteer gigs ARE a great way to wait for parts or come up with a plan B.
I hope you have lots of fun touring to the Back Of Beyond on your 29er.
Maybe I'll see you out there. I might be world's only grey haired, old woman cycling the world on a 29 er. I'm easy to spot, vomit green Salsa Fargo with shit hanging all over it. BangHead

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:37 AM
Moyo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »

Obinjatoo,
Have you ever read the blogs of cass Gilbert(whileoutriding), Joe cruz( I think it's something like pedalinginplace)?
There's also a great couple who've out together all kinds o routes in South America.
You may know all this, but these folks have made me want to spend months and months on dirt in Peru, etc.

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:25:56 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »

Come June first I will be starting an around the world bike tour in Alaska. Ridining a Jones 29+. Because I want to. It's built tough. Yeah I might have trouble finding a tire or spoke or? Somewhere. Not a big deal. It's the bike I want to ride. So I am riding it. Do what you want. It's your tour. You will enjoy it more on the bike you want to ride. Give your mom some spare parts in a box. It's a tour not a race . the fella going with me will be on a fatbike. Have fun. I will
Harry

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 04:33:14 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »

Something that is always overlooked in these discussions ( and there have been countless) is that even remote villages are likely to have old junked 26" bikes which can be cannibalised to get you going. I doubt many would have junked 29ers.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:03 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »

Is there a famous quotes section anywhere_?

I'm on. Gen 1 Salsa Fargo. I might be world's only grey haired, old woman cycling the world on a 29 er. I'm easy to spot, vomit green Salsa Fargo with shit hanging all over it. BangHead
  The sales guy told me it was fun guy green.  I painted mine grey anyway.

Like the guy who wanted to give me a 26 inch wheel with pedal brakes?  Did not fit the Fargo, but the duck egg burritos he sells were good.
Something that is always overlooked in these discussions ( and there have been countless) is that even remote villages are likely to have old junked 26" bikes which can be cannibalised to get you going. I doubt many would have junked 29ers.

29 inch wheels and 27.5 inch wheels are expanding to large cities throughout the world. Another year or so and they will start ordering replacement tires to sell these guys.  At this point it is still a 500 mile bus ride to the capitol city to get one though. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:04:27 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:21 AM
Obinjatoo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »

Hey Ronk,
Where are you? Got any thoughts on how the hell to cycle OUT of Lima?

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 04:19:32 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »

Hey Ronk,
Where are you? Got any thoughts on how the hell to cycle OUT of Lima?
Hehe. Sorry, can't help you there - I'm on the other side of the Pacific. Smiley

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:48 PM
ymakux

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »

Ok, this is an old topic but I'll answer anyway.

Sorry for my english!

So, in 2011 I had a long trip from Texas (USA) to Ushuaia (Argentina). It took 6 months. I had a very simple bicycle which I got from REI. The bike was equipped with 700C wheels.
What I learned from that journey: NEVER EVER use 700c for international trips! It was a pain in the ass!
I was able to get to Guatemala, then I stuck there for 2 weeks waiting for 700c tires an tubes I ordered from USA because the local stores did not have 700c! Next stop was Buenos Aires (Argentina), same problem!

All America outside of USA has no clue about 700c! Probably Asia too.

My advice: use only 26" to be able to change your tubes and tires in every bike shop!

Topic Name: 26 vs 29 touring internationally Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:56 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »

That was 7 years ago.    29 and 27.5 are more popular now and available in bigger cities.
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: