Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:57 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:57 AM »

Heads up to all CTR riders this year (2010):  hwy 550 from Silverton to the top of Molas pass is being repaved.  Driving it yesterday (7/29) was ~ 30 minute delay.  The road is one way traffic only.  It looks positively shitty for riding during daylight hours - narrow room for cyclists, we won't exactly be keeping up with the uphill one-way traffic, and of course everyone with a motor is in a hurry.  About 5:30 PM the road crews looked to be wrapping it up for the day. 

I can only guess that work stops at night and the road is open both ways.  I haven't called anyone but suspect the best thing to do is hit it in the wee hours.  Sub-optimal given that oh so critical silverton resupply...

If anyone is aware of any other safety issues feel free to post to this thread.  Like...flash flood watch in effect for the entire CT for the entire week.   BangHead

Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57:49 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »

Thanks for the report, Dave. I hate riding roads at the best of times, so this is a bummer.

I'm not too worried about the flash floods. I've packed some oars, and my panniers should float just fine. There's nothing in the rules about a little rowing, right? Smiley

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:22 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Dave.  I just checked out the CDOT webpage (http://www.cotrip.org/roadWork.htm), and found this:

S 550 Northbound / Southbound Over Molas Pass (Milemarker 60.5-70.4) (through August 2010)
7:00am-7:00pm MO-TH There will be one lane alternating traffic for paving operations. 20 minute delays possible.

Every effort should be made to ride up this section, but if you are forced to ride in a pilot vehicle up Molas pass you will not be DQ'd from the race.

Hopefully Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be good to racers...  There is no alternate route.  My only recommendation would be to get some lunch to go in Silverton, pedal out and enjoy an extra 20 minute rest-stop chatting with the flagger.  Front-runners, please leave a good impression for CTR racers behind you, and don't forget CTR Rule #3!

In other news, here's an article on "potential" conditions anywhere along the trail:
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_15624502

Be prepared and good luck!

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:24 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »

Good
In other news, here's an article on "potential" conditions anywhere along the trail:
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_15624502
Be prepared and good luck!

Good thing that I've already got skis on my list...

"Done"

Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:50 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »

Glad you posted this Dave.  When I was there (in car, Wednesday) it looked pretty miserable.  Pounding rain (rain so hard I couldn't believe they were still working!) and the one lane section is indeed narrow and uphill.  Fortunately it's not very long.  There was no pilot vehicle when I was there but I bet they will work something out if they don't let people ride through.

Seems like a lot of the field will be there Fri-Sat-Sun, so that's good.

My entire drive from Crested Butte to Tucson featured a thunderstorm in some direction (or multiple, or driving through one).  Hopefully it dries out soon!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CTR 2010 route conditions Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:37 PM
bradh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

It may be rainy, but there is 1 section that might be pretty dry for drinking water.  Razor Creek in segment 17 was dry when I rode thru there last week, so unless you drop down to Baldy Lake, there is no water btwn Tank 7 creek and Lujan creek.   Not too far as long as you know it's not there.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: