Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:30 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »

Pics with captions... trip was May 15/16 in north central PA.

State Forest Road.

More Forest Road

I get it.

Powerline.  NC PA is criss-crossed with all kinds of power lines and gas line right-of-ways.
Converging on a group of dual sport riders.

More powerline cut.

Single Track

Falls

Stream

Green and greener

Doesn't look so bad

There is a trail in there

So called 'Elk Viewing Area'.  Yes, there is a herd of elk in PA.

Push.

Central PA mountians.

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:53 AM
paxton coyote

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:53 AM »

WOW! Let me get my Fargo built up & I'll be on my way to PA! Looks BEAUTIFUL!

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:49 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »

I dunno, bikepacking on 2-track is to die for, if you ask me!

Love the waterfall shot.  We don't have nearly enough of that around these parts... at least not this time of year.

Great shots.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:24:46 AM
bruce.b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »

jhl99,

Any advice on where to go in that area? I'm heading out that way in a few weeks from NJ. I was thinking of going to Mansfield and getting advice from the bike shop there..... Oswald Cycle Works. I'm planning on bikepacking, all camping for several days.

bruce.b

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »

ScottM:  Cleverly put!   I’m sure the sign poster is not protecting some legendary double track!

Bruce B.:

Mansfield may not be the best  jumping  of point,  it is a little NE of the main tracts of state forest land (but maybe a pavement prelude is good?).  If you are coming from NJ on I-80, I wouldn’t detour via car to Mansfield unless you have are reason to go  there.    For instance,  Exit 199 (White Deer Pike), west of I180/15 puts you right in the Bald Eagle State Forest.  Going a little farther west, you can exit at Milesburg and park your car a Bald Eagle State Park.  I have left a car at the overflow campground parking lot for bike trips without issue.
Here is a route I did:
http://home.windstream.net/JHLange/PA_GrandCanyon.html

The above route includes the Pine Creek Gorge Rail Trail.  Pine Creek is known as the ‘Grand Canyon of PA’ … (I can hear snickers from our friends out west)… but it is what it is.

If you can, call or contact the PA DNR and have them mail you the forest maps for:
Tiogo,  Susquehannock,  Bald Eagle, Elk and Moshannon State Forests.  You can also find these maps on line.  The maps are good for identifying state lands as well as the dirt forest roads.  

PA forest roads are generally in good shape (dirt and gravel) and well marked.  Occasionally you will come across sections that have been recently graded or have been beat down by recent gas welling drilling activity (at least in the more western state forests).  The state forest maps will show some single dotted line trails.  Be wary of these trails, some are off limits to bikes (the state recognized hiking trails, which are shown in red on the maps) and other trails may or may not have been maintained.  Blow down and overgrown trails are common, firsthand knowledge is good to have.

If you want to work in a lot of single track, I would recommend the Rothrock and Bald Eagle state forests.  The Nittany Mountain Bike club, as well as some regional ATB events keep the single track in good shape.  Visit   http://www.nittanymba.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,21/Itemid,48/ to find some maps, also check their forums for some trail knowledge.

One possible route I have done I the Rothrock/Bald Eagle area is the Wilderness 101 route  (Wilderness 101 is a 100 mile mountain bike race)… it is raced in a day, but can be done as a 2 day tour.
I don’t think this is the current route, but I gives you an idea:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fhome.windstream.net%2FJHLange%2FPA_wilderness101.kml&sll=41.430372,-77.472839&sspn=1.472352,1.908875&ie=UTF8&z=10

Some  advice:
If you stick to paved and forest roads, you can tour pretty easily, you won’t get that beat up.
If you start to work in single track, it will be tougher and you will need to have decent navigation skills.  Don’t overestimate how fast you can go on the single track.  Some of the central PA stuff is pretty rocky.

Don’t  overlook taking an afternoon for some exploring or visiting some of the towns in the area.  There are some nice places to visit:

Towns that are worth riding through:  Williamsport, fairly large small town, Millionaire’s Row has awesome homes from the lumbering days.   There is a microbrew place downtown.  Bike path along river for a stretch.   Home of Little League World Series.    Wellsboro – quaint boulevard through town lit with gas streetlamps.  Old school dinner.   Near the northern terminus of the Pine Creek Rail Trail.
Lock Haven – river town and home of Lock Haven State University.  Old Piper airplane factory is now a museum.  State College.  Home of Penn State, last year’s #1 Party School.  Numerous bike shops, beautiful campus.

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:11 PM
bruce.b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »

Thank you for the route advice. I'll make sure to do the Grand Canyon of PA. I'm not sure yet if I'm driving out. I might just leave from my brother's house in Blairstown, NJ if I have enough time. This will be my shakedown tour for my ultralight bikepacking set up. I've done lots of backpacking, camping and some shorter bicycle tours before but this is the first time I'm setting up my gear specifically for this.
    I'm planning on several bikepacking tours on the east coast this summer, probably all of them just several days with maybe one about a week long. In 2011 I'm planning on a long (over a month) bikepacking tour out west, or maybe the GDR. It's a tough call which would be more fun and rewarding.
    bruce.b

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:25:38 PM
mgindle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:25:38 PM »

This is great to see - As a current Tucson AZ resident, I've had quite a bit of curiosity about the PA as my wife and I are moving to Philly this summer! Thanks for the report, I'll be sure to check some of this out someday. thumbsup

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:10 PM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:10 PM »

Bruce b.
If you started riding from NJ, you might consider starting off as road tour and taking in some of US Route 6.  Check out Route Y:
http://www.bikepa.com/routes/

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the PA bike routes because they run mostly on State Roads (sometimes higher traffic than one would want) where there may be better back road alternatives, but they have their time and place.

mgindle:

Welcome, as a future resident, to the Keystone State.  I suspect it is going to be a big change in climate compared to Tucson, you will learn about humidity! 

I’m from the Pittsburgh end of the state and am not that familiar with the riding around Philadelphia, although I do know that is relatively flat in that part of the state,  I guess it might be considered part of the coastal plain.

I don’t know what it is, and it is hard to measure, but I don’t think that there are many dirt road /single track bike tourers/bikepackers around the state.  I do a lot of weekend trips in the North Central state forests and never really see anybody on bikes or see tire tracks through mud,  not even day trip mountain bikers…. the exception would be around State College. 

Once you are relocated, some other places to consider riding, besides PA will include WV, VA, NC and NY.  Not necessarily weekend trips, but places to put on the list.

Topic Name: USA-PA-North Central Weekender Picture Report Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:48 PM
KBrooks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »

Hey, nice trip! Looks very similar to one I just did with a few of the DR crew in the Laurel Highlands of PA. Green and more green...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: