Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Salsa alternator dropout vs Surly dropout? on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:19 AM
bikemaniac

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:19 AM »

Hi,

Anyone with experience on the Salsa alternator dropout and the Surly dropout used on the Troll, Ogre etc bikes? I would be interested in pro's and con's.

Lucas

Topic Name: Salsa alternator dropout vs Surly dropout? Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:32:21 AM
cackalak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »

Both have pros and cons. Salsa'a alt drops were fine. Only thing I didn't like was the three differ Allen keys needed to tension (4, 5 and 6mm). They were solid other than that.

Surly's was simpler and for me, the preferred method. Only issues were with brake alignment and little more cumbersome changing flats.

But either way, they're both solid.

Topic Name: Salsa alternator dropout vs Surly dropout? Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:18:15 PM
Mini Bear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »

I work at a shop that sells a whole mess of both. The Salsa drops are far and away easier to work with.  The Surly drops are a giant pain in the ass to work with, mostly because nearly every time you remove the wheel you'll have to readjust the brake. And, if you're not used to it, the horizontal drop can be difficult to install and remove the wheel with a derailleur. The one positive is that there is less stuff to break, not that I have ever seen a busted Salsa drop.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: