Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Training with extra weight on: January 30, 2010, 01:19:04 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »

Anyone have any thoughts on training with extra weight on the bike? I'm not talking strapping logs to the handlebar or anything, just, say, 25 lbs of gear instead of 15 lbs. Has it worked for you or just made you more prone to soft tissue or bike injury? Did it help or hurt you come race week(s)?

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:56:10 PM
wdlandparker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »

well, my bikes base weight is 30 lbs so i dont think i need to worry too much about extra training weight... icon_biggrin

"what now ma nature, what now hahaha?!?!"
(cue hailstorm)

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:12:06 PM
jeremy11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

well, I don't really do it on purpose, but in the winter it adds up quick.  4L water, food for a day, extra warm clothing, boots... for the weight i could almost do a summer multi day.

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:48:41 PM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »

I personally feel it is beneficial to train with a kitted out bike, ie. wieght. The wieght of a loaded winter rig is going to be ~50 lbs (go e-z, i know this can change drastically both ways), certainly something to get the joints and muscles tuned up too rather then surprise them on race week, espically if your use to a 25lb rig.
When I started riding loaded this winter, my knees were giving me some aching but since I ride like this the majority of the time the aching has subsided and from the start I was telling myself it was the loaded bike, I hope...
Along with getting in some real life training with a kitted bike it allows you to think about your kit and where the placement of each piece of gear is allowing you to fine tune everything. If you tweak one thing each time your out, you are that much ahead the next time.
A bike also handles much different loaded so it gets you tuned up on that end too.
I think it is just as beneficial for the summer as well.
So, IMO I think it is a benefit. A few years ago I would feel a little out of place riding around like I was going on an overnighter whether it was a short cruz or a long day but now it's just part of my deal, always prepared for a night out.

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:34 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »

always end up with alot of gear on me.... and makes me feel like a rockstar anytime i'm out without the wight....

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:10:49 PM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »

Thanks. Jay, your blog post was what got me thinking about it. I've started adding it to the bike little by little on my rides.

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:22 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »

Not that I consider my normal riding as training, not that I am much of a racer. But I never try to lighten my pack for day rides. I thought of this yesterday as I was loading up to go down the street meet some other riders for a quick 3 hour ride. I added a change of clothes shorts and shirt and a lock in case I wanted to hit the Mexican food place after. I figure that if I keep a fair load on my back all of the time then I won't notice it so much when packing. Also I always try to do several day rides fully loaded prior to any pack trip so as to get used to the way the bike feels loaded.

Topic Name: Training with extra weight Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:08:55 PM
ramstrong1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

I was shocked how much more stuff I needed on the ctr than I had trained with.  Day in day out that extra load took it's toll.  I trained with 25 pounds of gear but found that to race I needed closer to 40 all told.  Train with the extra just to get a feel for how the bike rides and how your crotch holds up with more food and water in the backpack.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: