Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:57 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »

A little over 6 months ago I never would have thought I could have done 10 days worth of bikepacking. The idea for a Flagstaff to Tucson route had been on my mind, I had worked out most of it mostly hoping that someone else would ride it. Then I found a way to rid myself of nagging injuries, and to start riding harder and farther. My chance at the AZT BCT combo ride might come up after all.

We started from "The Place" where you can get breakfast & lunch, all in one meal.

We being Mark Caminiti who will join me for most of the ride and a small group who are doing the Coco 250 Stage Ride. We had a decision to make regarding mud from recent rains. In hind site we should have started in Sedona. But I really wanted my ride to start in Flag so I listened to Brad and decided to go for it. We could always bail to the highway.

Flagstaff Urban Trail system.

The riding started off great with some sweet new trail before Marshall Lake. Then the mud started sticking so we bailed to the road.

We should have just stayed on the roads but we took our chances and got mired in the mud again.

Caroline having fun before the mud strikes!

Lots of walking.

And lots of bike cleaning.

Eventually we cleared the muck and carried on to arrive at campsite 1.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:45:22 PM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:26 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »

Day 1
We ate at The Place, talked some bikes with the Coco Loop people and off we went.

I stopped after a nice 1 hour ride to eat a little. Nice forest.

It  started to get muddy so we bailed to pavement.

The group decided to attempt the AZT again. At first it was a nice fall leaf carpet....

Then it quickly became carnage. We cleaned off mud and got to the dirt roads to ADOT water spigot. Well they got worse and bikes were beaten down.

Day 1 was tough. It set the tone for the whole ride. Fun but tough. In hindsight Sedona start would have been better for bikes and bodies. But we did have fun, and the trails we hit that were dry were good bikepacking stuff.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:05:13 PM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:09:41 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

So on to day 2 Sedona, you know it's going to be good. Sedona is likely the cream of the Coco Loop and also a real highlight of the Flagstone.

Sedona Sunrise from Camp 1.

Mark on the Munds Wagon Trail.

On Broken Arrow.

Slick Rock on Broken Arrow.

Sedona was great riding of course. I had to put a tube in early on, I couldn't enjoy the climbing on Broken Arrow when my back tire kept getting soft. Red Rock State Park was packed, I've never seen so many people there. Well the two other times during the Coco in 09-10. I guess it was on account of the Canyon and all of the other National Park closures. Seeing as we had missed Anderson Mesa it only made sense that we skip the HAB at the start of Lime Kiln.

Starting into Lime Kiln.

Half way thru Lime Kiln I was loosing air again from the back wheel, time to start pushing for the bike shop. The guy at the shop tried to get me tubeless again but the valve stem just wouldn't seat, so I bought another tube. After the resupply in the Maveric it was off to find the Mingus Spigot. It was dark when we got there and I didn't get a good pic but it sure is nice to have a water spigot right on course. We rode a bit farther and found a place to get off the road and make camp.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:39:53 PM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:53 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »

Great pics Tim, keep 'em coming.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:20:47 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »

Day 2 was a typical bikepack race kind of day (Tim and I were not racing but the day was full of adversity, and it felt like I was never gonna get to Cottonwood). At first the views were so good and the trail all DH to town so we rolled.

We ate at the gas station and headed out to red rock trails. The views were again impressive.

After the great red rock trails we headed out on Lime Kiln. The heat of the day began to work me over a bit. Then right after Matt S. passed me (?- superhuman speed by the Schiffster) I got a goathead that wouldnt "Stans". Tim had just passed me and said he was making tracks for town to get a tube. I realized I had no plyers or valve core remover ( lost my plyers at ADOT the day before) so I just kept pumping my tire until I finally made Cottonwood. I put in Stans at the gas station after meeting up with Tim. Since I missed the bike shop I had to keep tubeless and save my 2 tubes as backups. Aired up with compressed air and headed out to Mingus. On the way up Mingus I was beat but still enjoying the day.

About an hour later Blake and Tom? passed me. Fast folks got me motivated to catch up to Tim. We rode to the water spigot and then camped 2 miles down the road.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:12 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »

Day 3 Mingus to the BCT.

Looking back at the FS road we've been on since last night.

Sedona and the Peaks of Flagstaff.

Mingus road riding.

The unexpected single track.

I really liked this little section of trail. Maybe more so because it was unexpected.

One last little climbing section and we start the run down off of Mingus.

This is also a section of the Great Western Trail. We'll get some more of this latter but it won't be so easy.

Descending off Mingus.

Bottoming out on Mingus heading to the BCT.

It's a ways to get off of the mountain but we got down and started heading for the BCT. The route gets a little funky here going past a couple of houses a gravel pit and finally past the cows and out the gate. As soon as we got thru the gate it was goat head city, literally a field of goat heads. In the end we bailed back to the gravel pit. Not knowing how far we would have had to go picking up goat heads or if we would have any air left when we got to the trail. Or even if the trail would be clear of them once we got there. We ended up in Cordes Junction in a room picking thorns for several hours. Stan's was doing the job for me up front, Slime not as well in the back. I added a small bottle of Stan's to the Slime tube and that worked great.

On Lime Kiln we found one or two.

But this was way more then one or two.

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:00:09 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »

Day 3 started great. We had a little fire and some morning food and drink.

The views of Mingus were nice.

Later we could see the Flagstaff mountains in the distance.

We got into a nice area of higher altitude forest

I was having a blast. The route was a great ride after the Mingus climb. Very remote but we saw people. We crossed a Highway and went past a farm/ranch. It almost seemed like we were trespassing but it was a legal right of way to the National Forest on the other side of the property. Just about 1 minute after I told Tim that property crossing was a little sketchy (he agreed and said he already had a nearby alternate dirt road to bypass the farm) I noticed about 15 big goatheads in my front tire!!!!!

Tim and I were perplexed. We both had seen many thorns in our travels, but this was like a horror movie. They were "everywhere". I mistakenly pushed ahead about a mile as Tim pumped a tire. He caught me and I was completely in a thorn- induced shock. I had about 75 in each tire. We both tried to pull thorns and spin tires. It was not going to work. We were facing about a 12-15 mile ride to the next highway crossing. Tim laid out the options. I just turned around and started walking back to the ranch/farm. We were in trouble. Tim had air in both tires but also walked his bike to save that air. I had a quick front leaker.
We got back the road after the farm, pumped air (I think this is when Tim killed his pump- so bailing was a really good idea) and rode to the highway. The phone said I-17 to Cordes Junction was our best plan, as they had the only motel in the area.

We hitched to I-17. Then we rode down the I. Tim was stopped up ahead next to van. It was Doc, the guy who drove Tim to Flag!!! He took us to the hotel and we all laughed at the good fortune! At Cordes we both could relax and plan our assault of the BCT. I put in car fix-a-flat stuff with a presta adapter and decided to let the trail remove my thorns gradually the next day. Dr. Azttripper pulled all his thorns like a surgeon.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:22:43 PM by dream4est » Logged

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:56 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Day 4 finally getting on the BCT.

After getting into the culvert under the highway we struggled to figure out where the trail was supposed to be. Eventually we figured it out. Here's Mark getting started on the trail.

Sweet BCT.

This looks like a great water source. I drank the rain water from the tank with out any filtering or treatment. Also the windmill works and there was water in another tank not far away.

The Oasis.

We were able to get water with out filtering here as well.

Sweet BCT I liked this little sequence.

There are several of these major rock work crossings.

The first big Saguaro.

The BCT has a little bit of kick to it before you get to Black Canyon City.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:26:28 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:28:18 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »

Day 4
We rolled over to the BCT. It was pretty much as advertised for the whole day. The last 7 miles or so into town is tough. You see town but then go on an odyssey. Try crossing the Verde at night. All the trail rocks though so it was all good.

So I hit town (Rock Springs) at 8pm. The restaurant was open till 9! I ate well as Tim came back from a side mission into Black Canyon City. We decided to camp in the city parking lot on advice from a local (and because then we could eat breakfast the next morning). So we laid out under 2 big trees. I thought I saw a crack pipe but it was just a cigar wrapper. Then about 15 seconds later Tim finds an actual crack pipe!!! Too funny you cant make this stuff up. Rock Springs!!!! I laughed then ate till I passed out.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:11:55 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »

Day 5

After the big b-fast we head on out to the trail.

There's some good trail heading south out of BCC, after Table Mesa we decided to bail to the freeway. We're in Flagstone Light Mode, and making up a little time.

After recharging in the Anthem Wallmart we head out to find the Maricopa Trail.

And them some road riding and we saw this camel, then the Sonoran Preserve.

If only we knew it was the last of the easy days.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:16:56 PM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:10 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »

Day 4

We hit the trail after breakfast. Someone made a nice rock sign next to the trail.

We hit more trail, got water at the river, and then went to a road crossing. Tim said we could bail after 50+ miles of BCT and go to Anthem by road as the final miles were tough work. It was early afternoon and hot so I said yes. Well maybe 2 minutes later I was off the bike with a knee injury. It started hurting and then went all crazy in a g-out depression. I couldnt walk or ride for a minute as I rubbed pain cream on it. After about 20 minutes I walked to Tim, who was near the interstate onramp. I couldnt ride. He headed out I hitched. An old guy picked me up in about a minute. We got Tim and were in Anthem in minutes.

At Walmart I shopped, walked, took a Ibuprofen and then felt okay? Weird. So instead of quitting or hotel rest we went to Maricopa trail and rode off into the sunset.

Camped in the desert and ate by a small fire. I hoped that rest would solve my knee issue and enjoyed the hot Phoenix night.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:28:12 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

Day 5 starts with nice easy trails and dirt roads.

We saw some balloons launching and then rolled thru the opulence of Scottsdale.

Then we got to the McDowell's.

And things got a little steeper.

And steeper.

And still more, I was having fun tho. It was good trail and I was riding most of it. I completely forgot that we were supposed to be in Flagstone Light Mode.

The climb was hard but the down hill on the other side made it all worth it.

Seeing Four Peaks in the distance gave me a bit of a lift. The AZT is right there it won't be long and we'll be tying into the AZT again. There are two newer sections of the trail that I have not yet done. In the next couple of days I'll get my chance.

But first its off to Senior Taco in Fountain Hills. I forgot to get a picture of the water station at the bottom of the McDowell's DH but it was pretty sweet for a trail head.

Bus Stop Fountain Hills.

Senior Taco had been recemended to us by a rider we met on the BCT, the fish tacos were good. Then off to find a bike shop, first tho we found a water station/ice cream shop with a very friendly owner. She gave us directions to the bike shop, I needed to have my rear wheel tightened. I greased my King hubs 2 weeks before the ride, and then as usually they needed a readjustment a week later. I must not have gotten it tight enough on the second round. I had noticed it was loose earlier in the day but with just two multi-tools I could only get it so tight. I also picked up a new pump while we were there.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:45:36 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 06:15:01 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »

Day 5
The day started well. We rode easy trails to eat at a gas station.

Then it got hard. Mcdowell to Lost Dutchman the way we went is AZT 300 hard.
Well I got from the Sonoran preserve to Lost Dutchman State Park. Tim laid out the midday festivities above. What he didnt mention was that it was hot- about 90 or so from about 12-4pm. Once we exited pavement and finally hit Hawes singletrack the day really improved for me. Taco place was good like Tim said.

The Great Western Trail was a killer in the dark. Sandfest. Made you feel like it was never going to end. I knew I would probably not make it out in the morning so I went ahead and rode late to get to Lost Dutchman. It was my only shot at staying on the plan at all. My knee was getting worse so I couldnt really let it sit for too long. It got sore after I got water so I stopped to rest for a few hours.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:10 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »

Great reading your report guys.  Doesn't sound like an easy ride!  I'm glad you took the time to take so many pictures too.  Keep it coming!

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:40 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »

Yep to stay on this course will make for a tough one, especially the finish that we missed.

Alright I managed to fix my PC issues, bought a new one, now with a little less frustration.

Day 6

Mark had to go ahead during the cooler hours, I don't care that much for night riding, and I like to be able to see what I am riding thru.

After the death march in the sand the night before the rest of the Goldfields wasn't that bad. The stuff after Lost Dutchman is a mini Highline.

I ended up skipping the newer single track south of the Sups, needed to make up time and meet Mark at the stores. We resupplied and headed east to the AZT.

After leaving Picket Post I really wanted to make 15 miles for a bivi at a sweet saddle.

It was a long hard push but I made it out to the saddle around midnight.

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »

Well day 6 was the end for me. I just couldnt really turn cranks without pain. That pic above of me at Picketpost is a fitting finale. I went up the hill 6 miles in a stunning 3.5 hrs, and that is an easy 6 miles. The next 9 are really tough. Heck the next 30 were gonna be trouble as my knee wouldnt even climb Picketpost and there is no easy way to bail the Gila canyons. So I turned around and headed back the trailhead. It was a really nice ride in the full moonlight. My knee thanked me, relenting a little pain wise.

Totals for the ride ? Not sure I ended up riding to Superior, hitching to Florence/Kelvin Hwy, riding 1 mile to say goodbye to Tim at Wilson trailer court, and then riding into the next town via dirt road to hitch to Tucson. Maybe 340 miles? It was a good adventure, pretty tough but not death ride tough.

I learned some things.
Osprey Talon series packs are about as comfortable as people say they are. I was impressed. No pack bugging me feeling ever. Even jam packed.
Hand made bike bags getting better. Performed really well.
The BCT is a great fall/winter/spring ride I bet. If you live near it take advantage.
Coconino loop first 80 plus miles were a good ride. I probably need to do the loop someday.
It is nice to bikepack in AZ in fall or spring when Colorado is shut down. So many opportunities.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:09 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:09 AM »

Day 7

Morning at the saddle was all that I hoped it would be.

Overnight I only woke up a couple of times, no Mark, in the morning still no Mark. I gave him some time and enjoyed the views from the saddle. This is a pretty sweet section of trail that last 2 miles before you get the the saddle makes for some impressive photo's. The first time I was here non of the trail was there yet. It was the last of the lay out but non of the volunteer's would have any thing to do with it. So Scott Morris and I got to work with trail designer Mark Flint and the BLM paid us to do the lay out. Still no Mark, well either he turned back or I'll call him once my phone works.

After the Saddle the trail was all new to me, I've ridden the oldest section along the river but have not ridden this passage since it was completed.

What a section of trail that is, it was a great ride from the saddle to Kelvin, and Mark was there waiting for me. I drank the last little bit of my water and we headed out for the trailer park. Mark said he was done and would hitch to his car at my place. My goal now was to make it at least to Oracle on the trail. I decided to skip Rypsey Hill in favor of some easier road riding. I had way points for water sources on "The Gila Ramble" route so it was pretty easy to tell which roads to take to rejoin the trail. At least I could make camp before midnight. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:15:42 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:03:55 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »

Day 8

Up and back on the trail in the morning.

This spot was a dead end for me back in 04 I spent the afternoon there before riding back out.

The segment steward calls it the "horses ass" boulder but I've always called it the mushroom boulder.

I think I have a picture from every time I've been there in 06 I had the green Kona with a rack and bag on top no more panniers.

With Zach in the 2nd AZT 300.

After tanking up at the water cache I am off into the Cholla fields of the Antelope Peak passage.

Luckily there were only 3 of these.

Everything was going and rolling along fine and then I got to the new gas line bypass segment. Bam in your face Hike a Bike.

Just before dark I start getting a flat. The back tire again loosing air, I only pump once then find a place to crash. I'll deal with it in the morning.

Day 9

After adding some more Stan's to the tube I pump up and get rolling for Oracle.

The backside of the new segment goes smoothly and soon I arrive at Tiger Mine road. Another trip down memory lane.

It's funny to see the bike from 04 things have come a long way in bikepacking in the last 10 years.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:36:01 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:07 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

Great report fellas. If I can manage my vacation time just right, I may be giving this route a go in '14.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Flagstone Lightened AKA an AZT BCT combo ride Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:33 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

John it's a great ride, at least as much as I got done of it. Hopefully this years work will get the BCT far enough north to miss the gravel pit and the goat heads.

The route has a few issues, nothing major but issues that mess the idea of an event.

Tim
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: