Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #840 on: May 12, 2014, 07:35:57 PM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 12, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

Seems like there are lots of places to get food and water, it's more an issue of when/if  to carry stuff if a resupply town seems to have limited resources or, worse,  limited hours!
It's mostly flat or downhill from Silver City to the border. I'm going to carry enough food from Silver City.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #841 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:08 PM
dadana

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »

Speaking of "last minute" items.....  I'm still slowly working through the maps and cues and looking at re-supply options.   It seems  (from my research)  that Hachita and Separ really don't have anything (in terms of food/water).    Does anyone have any info about those two towns?  (I did see a picture from a  previous year with someone getting pop at a machine in Hachita....)

Neither of them are "towns". Separ is an old school interstate trading post that sells tourist stuff like moccasins and fireworks. Last time I was there they had sandwiches and soda. You can get water from the spigot out front and sleep around back if you ask nice. Hatchita has zero services. I don't even know where a soda pop machine would be unless it was at the Post Office.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #842 on: May 12, 2014, 08:12:41 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: May 12, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »

Hi, yes, they do list Separ as a  limited services stop.   But checking on the internet to find what was actually there,  yielded  not much... and based on the two responses, I guess it's not certain!!  It's one area where for sure I can see that "rookie" vs. "veteran"  would make a big difference.   Seems like there are lots of places to get food and water, it's more an issue of when/if  to carry stuff if a resupply town seems to have limited resources or, worse,  limited hours!
You are right about 'when' vs 'where' being the bigger factor in re-supply if you are really racing for your best time.  Also right about the advantage a veteran might have in knowing many of the re-supply points from 1st hand experience, being a vet is the absolute biggest 'legal' advantage you can bring to the race.

But in the end there are only a few sections where re-supply is so limited that you really 'really' need to get it right.  Most sections have multiple re-supply options and with a bit of thought and planning are no problem.

And from this point of view, the last 120 miles to AW is not really a re-supply critical section on the route, with 24 hr food at Silver City and 24 hr water at Separ.  And if you finish in the middle of the night and need to wait for a ride,  a small bit of water and food is all that's needed to tide you over

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #843 on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:00 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

You are right about 'when' vs 'where' being the bigger factor in re-supply if you are really racing for your best time.  Also right about the advantage a veteran might have in knowing many of the re-supply points from 1st hand experience, being a vet is the absolute biggest 'legal' advantage you can bring to the race.

But in the end there are only a few sections where re-supply is so limited that you really 'really' need to get it right.  Most sections have multiple re-supply options and with a bit of thought and planning are no problem.

And from this point of view, the last 120 miles to AW is not really a re-supply critical section on the route, with 24 hr food at Silver City and 24 hr water at Separ.  And if you finish in the middle of the night and need to wait for a ride,  a small bit of water and food is all that's needed to tide you over

For the limited option supply points I got the phone numbers off the internet and called for hours the week before the race.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #844 on: May 13, 2014, 12:16:44 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 13, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »

It's mostly flat or downhill from Silver City to the border. I'm going to carry enough food from Silver City.
Agreed, Silver City is close enough to AW to ride through unless you're going to be riding the tarmac at mid-day and need more water. Ride it between evening and mid-day the next day and there's little reason to stop - provided you can stay awake!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #845 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:13 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:13 AM »

James is so right. No reason to stop. I left Silver City about 23:00 and got to AW about 09:30 the following morning for a 393 km day in 26+ h. Never thought I could do something like that. Was helped by 2 x 5 h Energy Drinks (actually, 30 mins rather than 5 h on the Tour Divide) and some caffeine pills. I called my wife in Australia about 03:30 from Separ and she was not impressed! But I did jump up seven places so it was worth it! Before I left I bought a pile of food from Silver City and still had it left the next morning.  Don't over think the logistics. Just take enough to get by in case a supply place is closed or emptied by the earlier riders.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #846 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:56 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »

Thanks for all the responses about the last section of the route,  very helpful!    

Getting closer to the start,   feeling pretty overwhelmed and un-prepared,  but also pretty excited about the whole experience.
Hope the weather warms up in the North and they get water in the south (snow and fires) but I guess the route will be what it is.

Below is the link to the "infamous Pepsi machine at Hachita"... but I have no idea if it's accurate or still there  (it is part of a tour rider's blog)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_vhtHAdyM-I/UgDcARAp1_I/AAAAAAAABd8/idi0Veo1DW8/s640/blogger-image-1786154834.jpg

Here is the link to the blog  (some nice pictures in the end section)

http://2013tourdivide.blogspot.ca
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:37:55 AM by tuhduhvuh » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #847 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:57 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »

Thanks for all the responses about the last section of the route,  very helpful!   

Getting closer to the start,   feeling pretty overwhelmed and un-prepared,  but also pretty excited about the whole experience.
Hope the weather warms up in the North and they get water in the south (snow and fires) but I guess the route will be what it is.

Below is the link to the "infamous Pepsi machine at Hachita"... but I have no idea if it's accurate or still there  (it is part of a tour rider's blog)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_vhtHAdyM-I/UgDcARAp1_I/AAAAAAAABd8/idi0Veo1DW8/s640/blogger-image-1786154834.jpg

Here is the link to the blog  (some nice pictures in the end section)

http://2013tourdivide.blogspot.ca

Take a deep breath and repeat "I'm just riding my bike all day."  Simplification includes mental simplification IMO.   Best of luck and see you there!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #848 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:55 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

Take a deep breath and repeat "I'm just riding my bike all day."  Simplification includes mental simplification IMO.   Best of luck and see you there!
So true!   My wife is reminding me often that right now it's work and planning and checking gear and family and training etc. etc.   It will be great to start riding and have a more specific focus!!  I am having a fantastic time when I am out on my bike,  but yeah,  lots of other stuff going on!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #849 on: May 14, 2014, 12:18:22 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 14, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »

SPOT tracking registration for `14 TD is now online here: http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide-signup

Final route details are, not yet final, but the full traditional route looks quite likely. That GPX file can be found here: http://www.topofusion.com/divide/gps.php  It's called "TourDivide2012_v2.gpx - Tour Divide 2012 "official" ...Still awaiting word on a couple small bridges and mining roads in Canada. The snowpack assessment in the Flathead based on my years watching this stuff is, higher down low, normal to midland up high.

Cheers,
Matthew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #850 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:30 AM
Canbaroo

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 14, 2014, 05:15:30 AM »

Quote from: Mathewsen link= The snowpack assessment in the Flathead based on my years watching this stuff is, higher down low, normal to midland up high.

Cheers,
Matthew
[/quote

So what is snowpack? Translation pls. I haven't seen this stuff before..... sounds Irish?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #851 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:02 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:02 AM »

[quote author=Mathewsen link= The snowpack assessment in the Flathead based on my years watching this stuff is, higher down low, normal to midland up high.

Cheers,
Matthew

So what is snowpack? Translation pls. I haven't seen this stuff before..... sounds Irish?

You can substitute "snow depth".  It tends to be packed after a winter of settling.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #852 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:09 AM
Martin.M.Clark

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »

I can't believe I'm actually writing in this forum as I never thought I'd work up the stones to do this.

I'm a total newb to ultra racing on bikes. I've done two long distance thru-hikes, but this has always interested me so here we go.

Just trying to decide whether a northbound attempt is the better idea. Trolled this thread and haven't seen much in the way of people discussing leaving northbound. Wondering if there were many nobo's this year, and if so: HOW the hell do you get to AW?Huh? Maybe its possible that there is another thread for northbound riders.

Finally is it proper "form" to carry the spot and register for tracking?

Really pumped to meet everybody.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #853 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:56 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 14, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »

I can't believe I'm actually writing in this forum as I never thought I'd work up the stones to do this.

I'm a total newb to ultra racing on bikes. I've done two long distance thru-hikes, but this has always interested me so here we go.

Just trying to decide whether a northbound attempt is the better idea. Trolled this thread and haven't seen much in the way of people discussing leaving northbound. Wondering if there were many nobo's this year, and if so: HOW the hell do you get to AW?Huh? Maybe its possible that there is another thread for northbound riders.

Spot tracker is optional but nearly everyone carries one - it gives your friends/family a way to keep track of you and when you get home the track is available online with times attached to the data points, which is nice.

Can't speak to the NoBo except to say that Gila Hike & Bike in Silver City NM can provide info on folks willing to shuttle riders to the border and I know that some riders are carpooling.  Main problem with NoBo is that you have to flip all the cues/distances - if you are strictly going by GPS that is not such a concern.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:31:53 PM by BobM » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #854 on: May 14, 2014, 04:04:42 PM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 14, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »

Gila NF just announced a closure that closes the Sapillo alternate but appears to leave open the main route.  More likely to affect NoBo than SoBo at this date.

link to map
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:09:55 PM by MattL » Logged

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #855 on: May 14, 2014, 04:09:17 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 14, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »

Maybe these early fires will burn up all the fuel before we get there?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #856 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:46 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »

Maybe these early fires will burn up all the fuel before we get there?
Not having been there, but I was thinking the same. Look at it as a positive.

Martin, have a look at previous years Tour Divide threads. There has been a bit more discussion last year and 2012 on NOBO tactics.

Best of luck to everyone starting this year. I look forward to following those blue dots again and perhaps being one in 2015!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #857 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:12 AM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »

I hope the sun stays out, and it keeps on melting so there is no repeat of the 12 mile trudge around Red Meadow Lake.....

* lost boys.jpg (102.51 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 543 times.)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #858 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:46 PM
DigitDreamer

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »

I rode NoBo last year and am happy to answer specific questions if you send me a message. There were only two places that were difficult to navigate from the map and ques. The approach to fleecer and the road to turn towards Abiquiu, after climbing out of Cuba, NM. Neither are marked well in that directions, but would be easily remedied with GPS confirmation.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #859 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:41 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »

I've got the giveaways coming together. Each racer's call give them a chance at one of three packages. Nothing too fancy but some stuff you can use from Wolf Tooth, ProGold, Relevant Designs and others coming on board! This will be for all races this year going through until the AML but the more calls you place the better.

JP - MTBCast.com
  Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: