Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #700 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:55 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »

Hi, I'm lame and haven't booked anything in Banff yet- my blunder. Does anyone want to split the cost of a room? Believe I will be arriving on the 9th or 10th.

i have a room in Banff for the 12th that i am happy to share.  i'm flying into Calgary Monday the 9th, and looking to share a room that night to build my bike and get settled before riding to Banff that tuesday/wednesday.

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #701 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:01 AM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »

So I have a question for everyone. I am debating between two tires: the Geax Saguaro or the Continental Race Kings. The Geax's are cheaper, and based on reviews, I believe they can make it the whole trip. They'll also be better in sand and mud. However, they are significantly heavier than the Race Kings. Race King's are lighter, more expensive, faster tread, but I'm wondering if I'll have to replace them at the mid-way point, thus potentially much more expensive. What are everyone's thoughts? I'm kinda leaning toward the lighter Race King's at this point. Anyone who's ridden them, will they last the whole trip or will they need to be replaced? -Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #702 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:14 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »

saguaros...

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #703 on: April 24, 2014, 11:36:49 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: April 24, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »

... BTW I installed them to the sd card maybe if you install to the unit's memory it may slow it down or something.

It's a good idea to have an SD card in any GPS unit with the track on it, as well as in the main memory. That way if you fry/break your GPS unit once you score another one you only have to swap the SD card. In 2012 on rider got a new GPS but took days and multiple motel visits to get the GPS track on it (helps if you have the microSD to SD card as well!).

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #704 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:30 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »

So I have a question for everyone. I am debating between two tires: the Geax Saguaro or the Continental Race Kings. The Geax's are cheaper, and based on reviews, I believe they can make it the whole trip. They'll also be better in sand and mud. However, they are significantly heavier than the Race Kings. Race King's are lighter, more expensive, faster tread, but I'm wondering if I'll have to replace them at the mid-way point, thus potentially much more expensive. What are everyone's thoughts? I'm kinda leaning toward the lighter Race King's at this point. Anyone who's ridden them, will they last the whole trip or will they need to be replaced? -Andrew

Sales pitch: Have a look at the Gear Survey for the 2013 racers in the Annex to the Cordillera Volume 5.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #705 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #705 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »

Sales pitch: Have a look at the Gear Survey for the 2013 racers in the Annex to the Cordillera Volume 5.

Thanks Chris, currently reading it! That's partially where I got the positive feedback for the Saguaro's. An awesome resources; helps alot! Whoever included it in the recent issue is BRILLIANT!

THe only thing that deters me is the weight, almost a full pound heavier. Are you running Saguaro's Jefe? Do you find their benefits outweigh (pun intended) the added ounces? -Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #706 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:53 PM
oKo

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

I like paper... big industry where I'm from... is the Cordillera 5 available in book format or only kindle?

Hard men ride hard tails.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #707 on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:25 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

Tires tires tires---we all want light & fast but with indestructible side walls—tires are just like all bike related gear choices- you have to pick your compromise between weight, cost and durability—hey, like they say, you basically only get 2 of 3  
I will most likely be running Specialized Fast Trak Controls, the ones with slightly tougher side walls (29" x 2.2, 620g) They roll well, not to heavy, not to flimsy, and more than enough tread for the TDR route
My long term experience with Specialized tires is they ‘fit’ perfect on stans rims and run flawlessly with stans sealant.  ‘Fingers crossed’ plan will be to run them entire route but swap front to rear if/as needed

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #708 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »

I'm gonna run Maxxis Crossmark EXO's. I'd run Saguaros if the TNT version fit on Stans rims without a fight. I just don't like Conty's that much and would chose Saguaros over the Race Kings any day....But there are lots of great tires out there....I wouldn't run anything you haven't tried in the past and set them up a week or so before you leave for Banff, or AW.... 

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #709 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:15 PM
aschuhmann

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »

you have to pick your compromise between weight, cost and durability—hey, like they say, you basically only get 2 of 3 
I will most likely be running Specialized Fast Trak Controls, the ones with slightly tougher side walls (29" x 2.2, 620g) They roll well, not to heavy, not to flimsy, and more than enough tread for the TDR route

Hmmm.... Thanks Marshall, that's a good point and puts it in perspective. Guess I can't truly have all three.  But you both threw two more options at me!! LOL!

I already have two Saguaro's sitting in my living room, but got cold feet as to whether to actually put them on. Think I'll ride 'em and put my mind at ease, at least on this matter. Thanks for the assurance Jefe, and thanks Marshall.

Marshall- saw your post on Herman Road. I'll be riding up that way this weekend on an overnight. Gonna ride to Buff Creek and then over to Herman road and back to Littleton I think. Interested in tagging along for all or part?
Check out this map on MapMyRide: 161.47 mi Woodland Park Loop
Distance: 161.47 mi
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/400813358
-Andrew

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #710 on: April 25, 2014, 12:19:19 AM
Fresh like uhh

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 25, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »

Nevermind gotta room last minute.  headbang

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #711 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:13 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »

+1 for Specialized Fast Trak Controls (thanks to Steve A/Briansong for the tip).  I set them up tubeless on Velocity Blunt 35 rims, and they're fast and quiet, even on pavement.  The Saguaro TNT's are good too, but they 'sing' on pavement.  Heavier too.  FastTrak Control 29x2.2 = 620g; Saguaro TNT 29x2.2 = 780g (according to mfgrs' websites).  S-works are lighter still, but I don't trust myself with the lighter casing/sidewall.  I have a history.

...I ran the lightest tires that I thought would be reliable. Specialized 1.95 s-works renegade for the front, 460 grams. Specialized 2.0 s-works fast track for the rear, 500 grams. The renegade is a great tire and I haven't felt anything faster. I ran the fast track on the rear only for the deeper tread so it would last long enough. The puncture was on the rear. Specialized tubeless ready tires have fantastic beads. Easy to mount without tire irons and they air up so easily, I can get the bead to seat with just my mini pump on the trail side. I changed both tires in Steamboat but they still had good tread and may have been able to go the distance.
What tire pressures is everyone running? I was around 22 psi.
Craig.

Like a Boss.  'nuff said.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #712 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:30 AM
oKo

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »

I want to complain about the weather here in MN... 34 and wet with 2 inches of fresh slush from last night... but then again, I could be sitting at work all day! Off to do an overnight gear shakedown and pump out some miles on my Maxxis Crossmarks.. Have a great weekend all!

Hard men ride hard tails.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #713 on: April 25, 2014, 09:26:59 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #713 on: April 25, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

I like paper... big industry where I'm from... is the Cordillera 5 available in book format or only kindle?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-5/paperback/product-21336614.html;jsessionid=526A9558FE89F83B4FC2CADC76DD27B6

Worth every penny.

-dp

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #714 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:21 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »

+1 for Specialized Fast Trak Controls (thanks to Steve A/Briansong for the tip).  I set them up tubeless on Velocity Blunt 35 rims, and they're fast and quiet, even on pavement.  The Saguaro TNT's are good too, but they 'sing' on pavement.  Heavier too.  FastTrak Control 29x2.2 = 620g; Saguaro TNT 29x2.2 = 780g (according to mfgrs' websites).  S-works are lighter still, but I don't trust myself with the lighter casing/sidewall.  I have a history.

Like a Boss.  'nuff said.

-dp

Thanks DP. I decided on the S-Works, Fast Track for the TD. I have been running them all winter and spring, when riding forest service and fire type roads. When I roll some of our "less than smooth" single track here in Arizona, I switch to the Controls.

I'm racing a gravel grinder on the 3rd of May, I just last week, put a set of 1.8 Renegade S-Works tires on the bike for this race. Geeez, these things are light and really let it roll. Just a bit too light and too narrow for the TD I think.

Steve

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #715 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:26 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Well I know this is really late and I am probably crazy, but I am in for 2014 and going for the Triple Crown!!! Today is my birthday so I decided I am going big this year.

So I guess if anyone wants to help this TD newb figure out how to do this and get there and such, I am down for any advice tips tidbits etc.

Like for starters anyone want another to join in for a ride to Banff from Colorado?

Is it possible to do this with the track only and some basic notes, or will I be lost without cue sheets/ACA maps?

If I cant figure out logistics to Banff, I am just going to Northbound it.

Thanks in advance
Mark Caminiti
720-635-7429

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #716 on: April 25, 2014, 04:46:57 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 25, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »

Well I know this is really late and I am probably crazy, but I am in for 2014 and going for the Triple Crown!!! Today is my birthday so I decided I am going big this year.

So I guess if anyone wants to help this TD newb figure out how to do this and get there and such, I am down for any advice tips tidbits etc.

Like for starters anyone want another to join in for a ride to Banff from Colorado?

Is it possible to do this with the track only and some basic notes, or will I be lost without cue sheets/ACA maps?

If I cant figure out logistics to Banff, I am just going to Northbound it.

Thanks in advance
Mark Caminiti
720-635-7429

Hey Mark,
Congrats on your AZT750. Kudo's there.  See you in Banff. I think I'll just fly.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #717 on: April 26, 2014, 12:39:34 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: April 26, 2014, 12:39:34 AM »

Tires tires tires---we all want light & fast but with indestructible side walls—tires are just like all bike related gear choices- you have to pick your compromise between weight, cost and durability—hey, like they say, you basically only get 2 of 3 
My long term experience with Specialized tires is they ‘fit’ perfect on stans rims and run flawlessly with stans sealant.  ‘Fingers crossed’ plan will be to run them entire route but swap front to rear if/as needed

I ran the Fast Track's in 2013 and they were brilliant. Not a single puncture the entire ride. The only thing I should have done was swap the front and rear tyres in Steamboat Springs as by the time I got to AW it was pretty well no more than a slick. I recall a couple of riders who tore their sidewalls - fairly early on - so any savings they would have had from the lighter weight was lost trying to get a replacement.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #718 on: April 26, 2014, 12:41:27 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: April 26, 2014, 12:41:27 AM »

Thanks! Was quite a lot of work ... so means a lot to hear that people are happy with it. By now we've also raised on the order of $10k for Dave B's daughter's college fund.

So all you riding in 2014 ... PLEASE be ready to contribute to Volume 6!!!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #719 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:59 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:59 AM »

Hi All,

Having mentioned the Cordillera V6 ...

Would be grateful if anyone riding in 2014 who wants to contribute to the Cordillera would please be sure to include your e-mail address in the 'unofficial' starter's list at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnV6xT65HkPRdE5WZ2c4S0pyZnd5Tk51cko1ZzJneFE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

The statistics are quite interesting, and there is a great cross section of riders (and more women!) this year. The youngest is 17 and the oldest 73, with 9 of the 112 declared over 60.

I'm also planning on having a "Blue Dot Junkie's" section to the book so if you know anyone who wants to contribute please have them contact me.

Regards,

Chris

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: