Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #680 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:02 AM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »

I spoke with the ACA on Tuesday.  New maps and addenda will NOT be out by the 06/13/2014 GD. 
Referring to Rule #5
"TD Route: Aside from the 4 permitted deviations listed...., challengers must always ride 100% of the Great Divide ‘main route’ as denoted by the most current map edition published by ACA. For TD`13, the 2011 printing is still the most current edition. Previous map editions may not be used unless updated with the most current ACA Addenda. Addenda 'sets' are specific to each map printing edition."
Though it is listed in the new Cycling the Great Divide book, I interpret this as no Butte Alt in 2014.  (Disclaimer that I'm not Matt/Scott...yadda yadda)
The 2011 printing is still the most current edition though addenda have been updated with services..etc. 

Now, about that snow :0
sr

The rules are what they are. But I prefer any dirt track over pavement especially interstate. If anyone later in the summer on a ITT will be running the new section I think a modification similar to the Gold-dust trail should be weighed for the GD.

I vote for a the new section...

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #681 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
elobeck

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »

If anyone still needs an aero bar holding contraption (though one should have this figured out by now), see classifieds for stem aero bar holder contraption.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #682 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:42 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »

Did a little recon on Lynx Pass yesterday, I was able to ride 6 miles further up the road than I was able to 2 weeks ago so it's starting to thaw quickly even with the intermittent spring storms we've been getting(sloppy ride but fun!). The road is snowed in at the bottom of the last big climb to Lynx Pass Campground on the south side of the pass(about a mile south of the campground at approximately 8,500' of elevation). I haven't gone up the other way to check the north side yet. Snotel looks to be about right in their measurement of just under 3' of snow still standing. It's supposed to be 63 degrees out today so let the thaw keep coming, Morrison Creek is raging which is good to see. I feel like this should be clear in the next few weeks and hopefully nice and dry by the time we make it through. I know Lynx Pass isn't one you'd normally think of as a threat for snow but I figure any snow pack info along the route gives a more complete picture for what the rest of the route may be like. We've had a big snow year here in Steamboat so with this info I'm starting to feel a bit better about the snow pack north of here being manageable. I may have to head up towards Rawlins soon to do some recon from there to Clark. Getting psyched for June 13th!!

Bottom of the Pass, the pass itself is the 1st notch from the left in the picture for those unfamiliar.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #683 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:20 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »

I did a little scouting in the Teton area this weekend.

I don't know what the snow level normally looks like in Mid April, but I can say that the pass from Victor to Jackson had less snow now than it did when I rode over it in Mid June 2011.

#gameon

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #684 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:10 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #684 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »

Uggh.  Good for riders, bad for everyone and everything else.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #685 on: April 21, 2014, 08:12:59 AM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 21, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »

I did a little scouting in the Teton area this weekend.

I don't know what the snow level normally looks like in Mid April, but I can say that the pass from Victor to Jackson had less snow now than it did when I rode over it in Mid June 2011.

#gameon

Thanks for the report BigPoppa!

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #686 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:43 AM
greenfisch

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »

So,for several different reasons,I am riding the American only route of the divide this june,and was wondering how many people still are rocking this route,or if everybody pretty much runs Banff south nowadays. Let me know!
Thank you

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #687 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:46 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:46 AM »

So,for several different reasons,I am riding the American only route of the divide this june,and was wondering how many people still are rocking this route,or if everybody pretty much runs Banff south nowadays. Let me know!
Thank you

Well, the Tour Divide runs between Banff and Antelope Wells, so if you are in for that you will not qualify.  The old Great Divide Race is the U.S. only route, but I don't know if anyone is maintaining that - they lost the website apparently.

Bottom line is that the GDMBR is public and anyone can ride any part they like at any time, but for the Tour Divide, it's Banff - Antelope Wells.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #688 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:08 AM
greenfisch

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:08 AM »

Fair enough,that's kinda what I was thinking the deal was. Figured/hoped there might be a few people out there riding the old start route for similar reasons. Considering starting a day or two late to catch you racers at the border and join in,unofficial of course. Unless there happens to be people leaving on the 13th from the border. Figured I'd ask.
Thanks

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #689 on: April 22, 2014, 07:32:31 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 22, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »

Fair enough,that's kinda what I was thinking the deal was. Figured/hoped there might be a few people out there riding the old start route for similar reasons. Considering starting a day or two late to catch you racers at the border and join in,unofficial of course. Unless there happens to be people leaving on the 13th from the border. Figured I'd ask.
Thanks

Sounds like a perfectly good plan.  Check with Trackleaders.com if you want your Spot dot on the Tour divide page - they might allow it.  Otherwise, you will still have the fun of meeting and riding with TD riders.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #690 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:43 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

Thanks!  Even if there is enough memory (you can always get a bigger card) I wonder if having that much more detailed basemap will slow down the boot-up of the GPS, or use batteries faster. Anyone know?

I found it ground my Edge 800 to a near halt so deleted the maps and was a happy camper.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #691 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:23 PM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

In terms of GPS,   I have the etrex 20, it's working well.  I plan to carry the paper maps and revised cue sheets for navigating and "overview" where necessary.  I've followed some local bike routes using GPS that others posted.  I have a detailed base map of my local area,  but found it just as useful to simply have no base map and simply follow the line.   Is that reasonable for the Tour Divide?   Seems like the easiest way to do things since the GPS (in my mind) is for direct , turn by turn "follow the line" navigation, but for more info I would refer to the maps or cues.

Does that seem reasonable?  I.E.  I can't really see the value of a detailed GPS base map,  especially, if , as some have said, it will slow the GPS down anyway...

Tom  

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #692 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:01 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »

In terms of GPS,   I have the etrex 20, it's working well.  I plan to carry the paper maps and revised cue sheets for navigating and "overview" where necessary.  I've followed some local bike routes using GPS that others posted.  I have a detailed base map of my local area,  but found it just as useful to simply have no base map and simply follow the line.   Is that reasonable for the Tour Divide?   Seems like the easiest way to do things since the GPS (in my mind) is for direct , turn by turn "follow the line" navigation, but for more info I would refer to the maps or cues.

Does that seem reasonable?  I.E.  I can't really see the value of a detailed GPS base map,  especially, if , as some have said, it will slow the GPS down anyway...

Tom 

The ACA paper maps are excellent for the route itself but have little to no detail off route, so the biggest advantage to a detailed GPS base map would be if you are looking to get to somewhere off-route, like bike repair, re-route, supplies, etc.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #693 on: April 22, 2014, 12:29:33 PM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 22, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »

Right,  that's good to know.

I am being naive and hoping that   
a) having a bike in good shape to start 
and 
b)  stopping at all bike shops en route  for routine checks, maintenance, chain replacement, brake pads, etc.

will "prevent" the majority of incidents. 

My Eeyore personality would have  me planning for every possible outcome, and I know I can't do that.  So,  if I actually have a bad problem in a bad place,  either luck will get me a ride from a trail angel back to a place with a shop,  or,  that's the end of my tour! 

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #694 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »

The ACA paper maps are excellent for the route itself but have little to no detail off route, so the biggest advantage to a detailed GPS base map would be if you are looking to get to somewhere off-route, like bike repair, re-route, supplies, etc.

I have to agree. If you decide you want to find something off route the ACA maps aren't that useful. With my Edge 800 I loaded the Garmin USA Street Map as these contain a lot of information on motels, chemists, etc.  Several times I used this feature to tell me if there was a motel nearby,etc. and then it even routed me to the exact location. At least for me this was much more useful than a base map.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #695 on: April 23, 2014, 05:51:49 AM
TearFilter

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 23, 2014, 05:51:49 AM »

Hey tuhduhvuh, I also have the etrex20. I loaded it up with street navigation maps for both Canada and the USA. I have not noticed that it effects the performance of the etrex at all, it's just as fast as it was with the base camp map. It's nice having the extra details and in case I need turn by turn to a grocery store or hotel. BTW I installed them to the sd card maybe if you install to the unit's memory it may slow it down or something.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #696 on: April 23, 2014, 06:37:51 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 23, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »

So the trackleaders page..... It says email for details on getting the spot set up. Anyone have the details? Haven't heard back.....

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #697 on: April 23, 2014, 07:39:53 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 23, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »

So the trackleaders page..... It says email for details on getting the spot set up. Anyone have the details? Haven't heard back.....

In 2012 we were contacted by Trackleaders in mid-May.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #698 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:56 AM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »

In terms of GPS,   I have the etrex 20, it's working well.  I plan to carry the paper maps and revised cue sheets for navigating and "overview" where necessary.  I've followed some local bike routes using GPS that others posted.  I have a detailed base map of my local area,  but found it just as useful to simply have no base map and simply follow the line.   Is that reasonable for the Tour Divide?   Seems like the easiest way to do things since the GPS (in my mind) is for direct , turn by turn "follow the line" navigation, but for more info I would refer to the maps or cues.

Does that seem reasonable?  I.E.  I can't really see the value of a detailed GPS base map,  especially, if , as some have said, it will slow the GPS down anyway...

Tom 

consider i'm a TDR rookie when reading this.

i've been using the etrex 30 for the last couple months with no base map, just following the line.  it worked great on the AZT (well, the first half which is all we did) as well as other local rides in my quest for GPS knowledge and education.  not having the base map to contend with seemed to make it easier to see when off track - at least for me, and i can get turned around in my own house.  also planning to carry my smart-phone with the assumption most towns will have service within reasonable proximity, and the maps typically work without cell service anyway.  there seems no need to look for a bike shop or grocery or bus station or strip club when in the middle of nowhere.

i will also be using the ACA maps and going slower than the "real" racers, so there will be tire tracks and footprints which are always reassuring.

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #699 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:38 AM
Fresh like uhh

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »

Hi, I'm lame and haven't booked anything in Banff yet- my blunder. Does anyone want to split the cost of a room? Believe I will be arriving on the 9th or 10th.
  Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: