Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #660 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:45 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

There is a website but it needs updating. It's something we need to work on.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #661 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:54 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »

I also think it is within the rules to help a brother or sister out. But we are supposed to have our shit together enough not to need it. The rules are there to prevent someone from basically getting pulled along, fed and more or less supported. I don't think there too many of us that would leave a fellow rider out in the cold for no reason. I've been at the front of the pack and we want to do our best, try to win, but in the end we are all brothers and sisters... 

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #662 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:47 AM
JeffOYB

bikes, boats, skis... outdoor lore & more!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

Ah... Thanks for the website heads-up. Sounds like more of a "too much to do, haven't gotten around to it" kinda thing. Good sign that it's still THAT small.  Smiley  I'd volunteer to help with updating but that just reminds me that my own website is busted and I gotta earn a living from it. Yikes! Back to work...

I suppose the "no help" rule is also to prevent a group from "sharing the load" -- one pump among 3 riders, one set of particular spares, one GPS, cell, etc.

Help in trouble seems way different, yet, you're right, all part of the ol' gray line.

Man, everyone is so minimal that it would seem to be hard to gain anything by load-sharing. In the old days 2 could save weight with one carrying a tent and the other carry the poles but who's riding with 2man tent anymore?

Seems there's very little overlap and redundancy anymore where much could be saved by having only one among many.

Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
hq for indie outdoor culture & homestyle adventure
2000+ articles ... online 20+ years!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #663 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:50 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

You don't deny a thirsty man water - Code of the West. Jefe's got it right.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #664 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:49 PM
EndoAgain

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »

Close call. Thought my broken shoulder took me out of the race but back riding though a bit behind in my preparation and could use some help. First, spot trackers...which one? Gen 3 vs "Tracker"? The Gen 3 has a nice auto on feature and several power options to include USB. But since I don't have time to fool with getting my dynamo hub set up with a Plug III etc thought I would stick with batteries. I have a Garmin Oregon 650T which can use AA's, a Fenix LD22 which can use AA, then there is the Spot unit. The "tracker" uses AA which I like. $50 cheaper which I like. The Gen 3 looks to be lighter and more versatile but for this trip the downer is I have to source AAA as well. Any thoughts? Is there any issue with the "tracker" and is that the same thing as Gen 2? Thanks for your insights.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #665 on: April 15, 2014, 07:19:57 AM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 15, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »

In response to EndoAgain asking about SPOT units. Has anyone used a Spot Connect for the TDR? Thoughts??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #666 on: April 15, 2014, 08:06:11 AM
oKo

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 15, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a little p.o.'d if I had a flat and a busted pump and everyone sped by citing "sorry dude, rules!"  That's just a little dick-ish. I would have no problem lending my pump, and I hope that others would do the same for me. Obviously we are all "unsupported" and self-reliant, but that doesn't mean we have to be dicks. (Not that I'm accusing anyone, just my two cents). After all, one could cite riding together as a form of emotional support because it alleviates homesickness, etc. It's a fine line, I get it, that just seems rather cruel to me. But, there's probably a different mentality among the front of the pack to the back. I hope to be somewhere in the middle.

I'll be a dick... you can use my pump anytime. The "spirit" of this ride/race far outweighs the rules to me. Dang I can't wait for 6/13!

Of course... I'm out to finish respectably, not win!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:14:46 AM by oKo » Logged

Hard men ride hard tails.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #667 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:21 AM
Rob Colliver

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »

Good news for folks who are focusing on the snow pack levels.

This is only for the Fernie ski hill and is off route by a good 20km, but its the best I can do.

The 2010/2011 ski season ended on 17th April with a record snow base of 453 cms, furthermore it was cold and snowing. This year it ended on the 13th April with a base of 330 cms and was warm and got even warmer yesterday.

Not such good news from the Whitefish bike shop - they thought the snow in their area was deeper than 2011 (though this info was given on 3rd April and will be outdated already)

Book the flight and come and play.

One further thought - to avoid any need for snowshoes, don't be among the leading 10 riders and let them bootpack the snow down nice and solid for you.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #668 on: April 15, 2014, 09:08:05 AM
cobbnat

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 15, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »

Further good news: the Farmer's Almanac predicts "warmer and drier than usual" in the northern Rockies. I'm going with sandals  ;-)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #669 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

I won't mention names, but I came across a racer last year who had broken a chain between Sparwood and the border.  Initially he was planning on walking 40 miles to Fernie to get a new one, because of the rules and all.  We finally convinced him that having a broken chain 40 miles from the nearest town in Grizzly country definitely constituted an emergency and another rider gave him a quick-link and he was on his way.  Haha.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #670 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:45 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »

New Butte Route:
I happened to pass thru Butte on the way to Great Falls for work and got the bike out for a short out & back reconnaissance ride.
from the little I saw the new route into Butte will be far superior to the current route--I hope we include it!

I got turned around at 6100 ft by snow.  Snow looks sort of  bad in the photo but overall, driving thru MT not bad--but we will see....

* new TDR route.JPG (122.84 KB, 640x480 - viewed 444 times.)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #671 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:05 AM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:05 AM »

Hi Marshall,
Thanks for the recon. Is that photo on the TD route?

Best regards,

Steve

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #672 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:33 AM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:33 AM »

I am trying to get an idea on what my water carrying capacity should be.

How much water are you planning on carrying(or carried for veterans) and what is your method?

Currently I have two 36oz, one 26oz bottles on the frame and then two feed bags to hold purchased beverages. I am thinking I may need a bladder for a couple of the long stretches?

Those of you using a stored bladder for the long stretches, what brand are you using? Looking for something light and compact-able.

I know allot of this comes down to speed between towns, heat and weight of rider.

Thanks  thumbsup

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #673 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:06 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

I am trying to get an idea on what my water carrying capacity should be.

How much water are you planning on carrying(or carried for veterans) and what is your method?

Currently I have two 36oz, one 26oz bottles on the frame and then two feed bags to hold purchased beverages. I am thinking I may need a bladder for a couple of the long stretches?

Those of you using a stored bladder for the long stretches, what brand are you using? Looking for something light and compact-able.

I know allot of this comes down to speed between towns, heat and weight of rider.

Thanks  thumbsup

I'm fat and slow. I carried 6-7 liters between long stretches.

Kurt Refsnider is neither fat nor slow, he carries one 4 liter bladder.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #674 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13:19 PM
-dan

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

I'll be a dick... you can use my pump anytime. The "spirit" of this ride/race far outweighs the rules to me. Dang I can't wait for 6/13!

Of course... I'm out to finish respectably, not win!

I believe the rules are there to keep those not ready at home.  The last thing the TDR (or any event) needs is inexperienced people falling into a typical backcountry situation they have never faced that gets them hurt, or worse.  Experience is not only the miles you've logged.

I just DNF'ed the AZT after two days due to heat/running out of water/dehydration.  Had anyone offered me anything liquid, there would be no hesitation on my part to take advantage if it meant I could continue on.  I think that is where the rules matter.  Cache water/food/emotional support/etc is not the true spirit of any grand adventure, this is not a team event.  I see the underlying rule is "you are on your own".  - take a look at the Trans Iowa rules, they spell it out very well, and I see them as synonymous. 

I'm with oKo, backcountry rules supersede all others, never leave anyone stranded.  Ever.  In the end, we are all in this together, and if me giving you a tube or loaning a tool allows you to finish, I have no problem with that.

8 weeks and counting...

drink.  ride.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #675 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:18 PM
TearFilter

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »

BigPappa has a point the amount of water you carry will depend a lot on your personal situation. I find that people who are less physically fit tend to need more water because it takes more effort to go the same distance. For me I usually take 4L for 100mi depending on the conditions. If I need more water I will buy a couple bottles of water and toss then when they are no longer needed. When in doubt take more water then you need because dehydration will really mess you up. In New Mexico I'm planning on rolling with 6L if the weather gets really nasty.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #676 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:59 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »

Hi Marshall,
Thanks for the recon. Is that photo on the TD route?

Best regards,

Steve
got a private message today that the new approach into Butte will NOT be official till after our July Grand Depart--if so then the photo is not on the route-------------but that's what the snow looks like at 6100 feet in the hills above Butte

note: way to early to call 2014 TDR route snow conditions--by late May we should have a firm picture of what we will have to deal with.....

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #677 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:19 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #677 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »

Water Capacity:
I think most of us tend to carry "more" than we really need "most of the time"--and this is a minor issue right?  Its running out that can be a major issue.  nono

Note--Good surface water is readily available for the first few days--if you don't already know--after the 1st week you should have a truer feel for how much is enough for your pace for the drier hotter sections.  

At the end of the day it's easy to 'add' capacity as you go--all you really need are some empty pockets or storage spots to store a previously stowed/empty bladder or some convenience store bottles.

Much more than your 'beginning' water capacity--Its spare storage space thats truly important--your spare storage space will be used 'sometime' for 'something'--guaranteed

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #678 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:43 AM
sheilar

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:43 AM »

New Butte Route:
I happened to pass thru Butte on the way to Great Falls for work and got the bike out for a short out & back reconnaissance ride.
from the little I saw the new route into Butte will be far superior to the current route--I hope we include it!

I got turned around at 6100 ft by snow.  Snow looks sort of  bad in the photo but overall, driving thru MT not bad--but we will see....

I spoke with the ACA on Tuesday.  New maps and addenda will NOT be out by the 06/13/2014 GD. 
Referring to Rule #5
"TD Route: Aside from the 4 permitted deviations listed...., challengers must always ride 100% of the Great Divide ‘main route’ as denoted by the most current map edition published by ACA. For TD`13, the 2011 printing is still the most current edition. Previous map editions may not be used unless updated with the most current ACA Addenda. Addenda 'sets' are specific to each map printing edition."
Though it is listed in the new Cycling the Great Divide book, I interpret this as no Butte Alt in 2014.  (Disclaimer that I'm not Matt/Scott...yadda yadda)
The 2011 printing is still the most current edition though addenda have been updated with services..etc. 

Now, about that snow :0
sr

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #679 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:12 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »

I spoke with the ACA on Tuesday.  New maps and addenda will NOT be out by the 06/13/2014 GD. 
Referring to Rule #5
"TD Route: Aside from the 4 permitted deviations listed...., challengers must always ride 100% of the Great Divide ‘main route’ as denoted by the most current map edition published by ACA. For TD`13, the 2011 printing is still the most current edition. Previous map editions may not be used unless updated with the most current ACA Addenda. Addenda 'sets' are specific to each map printing edition."
Though it is listed in the new Cycling the Great Divide book, I interpret this as no Butte Alt in 2014.  (Disclaimer that I'm not Matt/Scott...yadda yadda)
The 2011 printing is still the most current edition though addenda have been updated with services..etc. 

Now, about that snow :0
sr

Same message from ACA for me:

"The new routing will appear on the next GDMBR map update, which will likely be available in July.

Please let me know if there are any other questions!

Best,

Nathan Taylor
Cartographer"

We'll need to keep an eye on the Rules on the TD website as they have a tendency to change without warning.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
  Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: