Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:32 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »

Suddenly nobody is talking about the Grand Loop, wonder why that is?  LOL.

Been eying this route for years but not sure I can pull it off this year.  But I'll try...

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:45 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »

Do permits need to be attained before hiking the Grand Canyon?

Only to camp.  If you hike straight through there's no need to do anything.  Hotels available on the south rim, and the north rim will be empty, so free camping available.

If you don't want to hike through in a day you may be able to get "in canyon" camping permits 'day of' by arriving at the south rim and checking with the backcountry office.  Reserving one this far out is possible but very hard to predict what day.  You could get a range of days, I suppose.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:08 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »

Scott,

A couple questions here.

Is the start at Parker Canyon Lake? That's what's on the AZT300 page. Is the AZT300 portion of the route mostly similar to past routes after I-10?

Do you think there would be any issue for overnight hikers without permits? ie two calendar days in the canyon assuming no camping? It's probably not at the top of the NPS worry list, but a bunch of yahoos with their bikes on their backs are a pretty visible entity.

FW

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 06:30:45 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 06:30:45 AM »

Scott,

A couple questions here.

Is the start at Parker Canyon Lake? That's what's on the AZT300 page. Is the AZT300 portion of the route mostly similar to past routes after I-10?

Do you think there would be any issue for overnight hikers without permits? ie two calendar days in the canyon assuming no camping? It's probably not at the top of the NPS worry list, but a bunch of yahoos with their bikes on their backs are a pretty visible entity.

FW

You guys need to start farther south as the 300 course doesn't include the actual border. I don't think they will care about you having a permit but I bet they will advise against hiking much in the dark.

And yes you and Scott are going to attract some attention even our fellow riders don't get the whole portage thing let alone the average tourist. The rangers seem pretty cool with it I met a back country ranger along the way she knew Scott and Lee and seemed to be working on a list of every one who had carried through. Pretty short list so far, it will be interesting to see if that changes.

* Roaring Sprongs Grand Canyon AZ.JPG (203.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 300 times.)

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 07:35:42 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »

Hey Fred,

Check the site now -- there are separate pages for the 300 and the AZTR.  AZTR starts 2.5 hours before the 300 at the US/Mexico border.  That should give us plenty of time to get to Parker Lake by 9am (it's all dirt road around wilderness, and that's why the 300 starts where it does).  No obligation to stop and wait for the 300 to start, but somebody might.  We shouldn't be too far ahead of them even if we get there a little before 9.

The AZTR route will follow the 300 in its entirety.  So there will be a 300 'split' time, and someone doing the AZTR could even win the 300.

People start rim-to-rim(to-rim) hikes in the dark fairly often.  Bikes will be more visible and with the SPOT tracker and such there is a fair chance NPS will learn of the race and patrol.  But I would think they care more that we are carrying bikes and not worried about hiking at night.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:28 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »

<very cool picture in the GC>

Was that your footwear choice for a rim to rim hike???

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:52 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »

I ended up in my Chaco sandals on the second day the bike shoes worked for the 4 miles on Wrightson but gave me problems in the canyon. First I noticed a small round blood blister right in the middle of my heal, it lined up with a small circle cut out in the shoe. I tried thicker socks but then they were too tight. I was in the sandals early the second day.

People start rim-to-rim(to-rim) hikes in the dark fairly often.  Bikes will be more visible and with the SPOT tracker and such there is a fair chance NPS will learn of the race and patrol.  But I would think they care more that we are carrying bikes and not worried about hiking at night.

I would have thought the party line would be not to recommend hiking at night just from a safety aspect. For the river trip the ranger said we should all have pee buckets so we wouldn't have to walk down to the river in the dark.

But I guess there is a difference between the highly caffeinated bikepacker and a still half drunk, half asleep rafter.   

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:09 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »

It's official, I'm do'n the entire route or at least riding and camping for two weeks.

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:36 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »

It's official, I'm do'n the entire route or at least riding and camping for two weeks.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:39 AM
ActionJackson

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »

Scott-

I am making my way out to the AZT 300 from Austin, Texas. Can't wait!

Jackson

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 04:16:28 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »

After some thinking (especially about the gliders we talked do during the Coconino Loop Race), I think it migh be plausible to use my emergency bivvy as a parachute to skip the hike down the canyon. Would this be allowed?

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:40 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »

your picture

Probably the two most inspiring bike photos I have ever seen (you and Scott carrying your bikes in the Grand Canyon). The mere thought of carrying your bike that long says one thing....passion. I still hold true to one of my life-long goals: to ride up to the side of the canyon.

I salute you and Scott for making it up and down the canyon. Inspiring stuff.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:28 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »

I think he means "10 days", right Max?

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:20 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:20 AM »

After some thinking (especially about the gliders we talked do during the Coconino Loop Race), I think it migh be plausible to use my emergency bivvy as a parachute to skip the hike down the canyon. Would this be allowed?

Somebody did get busted for base jumping in the canyon. We did the same hike while on a river trip (didn't jump off of course) up to a great view over the river. The guy that did the jump was part of a rafting/rock climbing movie trip. When the film played there were shots of the base jump NPS fined both the jumper and the trip leader.

http://www.reelrocktour.com/2008_site/index.php play the trailer lots of cool climbing shots 2 quick clips of a jump in the canyon if you didn't know the spot you might not know where it is pretty cool tho.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:07:10 AM by AZTtripper » Logged

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:06 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »

Probably the two most inspiring bike photos I have ever seen (you and Scott carrying your bikes in the Grand Canyon). The mere thought of carrying your bike that long says one thing....passion. I still hold true to one of my life-long goals: to ride up to the side of the canyon.

I salute you and Scott for making it up and down the canyon. Inspiring stuff.

Riding across the state is a great accomplishment I am looking forward to (spot) tracking your progress whether this year or sometime in the future. Crossing the canyon is definitely a highlight of the trip not to be missed, and way better then the 215 miles of pavement as the only other option. I'll be curious to see how many racers will pull it off in a single push like Scott did in 05. Scott and Lee did 2 days in the spring of 05, my 3 day pace was a cake walk in comparison.

I think he means "10 days", right Max?

10 days is going to be a brutal pace IMO but it does seem likely that someone could pull it off. As I recall the total moving time for my 811 mile 06 trip was 9 days maybe 18 hours. With the shorter distance and even allowing for a couple of rests I can see it going under 12. But based on overall averages on the 300 I can see this being a 20 day ride for many.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:06 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 05:10:06 PM »

10 days is going to be a brutal pace IMO but it does seem likely that someone could pull it off. As I recall the total moving time for my 811 mile 06 trip was 9 days maybe 18 hours. With the shorter distance and even allowing for a couple of rests I can see it going under 12. But based on overall averages on the 300 I can see this being a 20 day ride for many.

What's a rest day?

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:05 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »

What's a rest day?

Something for us mortals.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #57 on: January 24, 2010, 06:27:56 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »

SOOoo, what y'all think of all this snow, saw somewhere that Flagstaff got a bunch, like 40+", curious what those with experience with this route see there? Funny thing is it haas been trying to snow all week here in Gunny, but we have accumilated something like an 1.5". Weird winter. Been checking out the course in a bit more detail, crazy, just crazy, so many little bits and bits, soo many miles, sort of intimidating and really exciting at the same time. Hope this works out... Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:04 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:04 AM »

Worst case scenario would be a seemingly clear AZT on the north rim, and then tons of drifts and soggy tread in the woods.

Topic Name: First Ever Arizona Trail Race Reply #59 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:14 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »

It's a shame that I cannot figure out how to make this plausible for 2010...

-Chris Plesko
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: