Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: angel apple on: June 05, 2013, 03:42:05 PM
apple

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »

I have been at Lujan Pass the last 3 years when the race went thru. I am really there for the hikers but I thoroughly enjoy the racers too. I am moving down into the Cochetopa this year and am planning to set up at Texas Creek. This is still on the CTR route but is close to the point where you all take a detour at the end of segment 18. The thing is, I could set up further south and thereby no longer be on your race route. An angel is really not totally appropriate on the CTR and could cause some bending of the rules... Of course I would much prefer to be on your race route because I like to hear your hair-raising stories about the race! Also I plan to serve ice cream this year which might be good down in that dry basin. So let me know if you want me on your route or not. I will not be insulted if you choose to move me further south. regards, Apple  glasses2   

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

Hi Apple!

I'm usually the guy who argues for the strictest interpretation of the "Do. It. Yourself." ultra-racing ethos. But even I encourage everyone to stop and visit you while racing the CTR.

Since real trail angels like you are available to through-hikers, day-hikers, equestrians, racers, non-racers, etc., I consider them similar to any other "commercially-available service."

The only trail angels that I despise are those who set up aid stations (coolers, caches, etc.) specifically for racers. Any racer who benefits from those situations is a weenie and a cheater in my books.

That said, I hope that racers aren't considering you to be a full-service resupply point. Anyone who wants to take more than a few cookies, a bowl of soup, and a coke should be told to suck it up and eat berries if they didn't pack enough food!

Thanks for being there, Apple. I've really enjoyed our brief but memorable exchanges over the years!

"Done"

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:38:36 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:38:36 AM »

I've never been through the famous Apple camp on the CT - but have been hearing stories and appreciations for what you do for years. So I do hope you set up on route for us!!

I think even Toby could be swayed by some Ice Cream  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:08:11 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:08:11 AM »

Apple -- thanks for the post here, and for considering CTR racers in your relocation.

I would get in touch with Stefan Griebel, the CTR race director, to ask his opinion.  I'll send you his contact info by email in case you don't have it.

IMHO, a self-support super-purist would not take anything from a trail angel in a remote location (it's a bit of a gray area).  But luckily the option to refuse cookies and soup is there for everyone, so I would hope you set up on the route and be there with all the awesomeness you've been so kind to provide over the years.

All the best,

Scott Morris

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:46 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »

IMHO, a self-support super-purist would not take anything from a trail angel in a remote location (it's a bit of a gray area).
Alas, since I have partaken of Apple's goodies, I no longer peg the extreme end of the self-support continuum. Who knew that eating those potato chips would knock me from my perch of righteousness? Ah, but I should have known: in French, "potato" is literally something like "apple of the earth." Yes, the same fate befell Adam and Eve when they partook of the apple. Only those who refuse to take a pomme de terre from Apple are truly deserving of the rank of "super-purist." The fall is hard, and the road ahead will be difficult.

And yet, despite my new-found mortality, I will still refuse to sleep in other racers' tents, borrow tires from day-riders, and order Domino's Pizza from the trailhead. The temptation to indulge in coolers left for racers will continue to be difficult to resist, but I will stand strong in the face of the Sirens!

And I may even pass by Apple this year. I had always considered him to be a "commercially-available" service since his presence preceded the CTR, and he offers his treats to all other trail users over the course of the summer. But if that's what it takes to regain my place as the purest of them all, then I may have to make the sacrifice. After all, Scott would expect no less of me!

Wink Smiley

"Done"

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:27 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the purest of them all? 

I'm not sure how you are rationalizing the 'commercial' part of "commercially available" for trail angels.  Also, consider someone that works summers and can only do a fall ITT with no Apple to benefit from.  Fair to them?

Then, where do you draw the line between "a few cookies, a bowl of soup, and a coke" and taking too much?  Aren't you drawing an arbitrary line?  If it's in the same class as a commercially available service, shouldn't you be able to take as much as you want, just as you can buy as much as you want from a gas station?

I have no problem with people taking some supplemental goodies from someone as awesome as Apple, just so it's clear where I stand.  I'd love for Apple to stay on the route, and don't think it should be banned by the rules.  But I don't think there's any doubt that not partaking is a more pure and self-support way to race the CTR.  Allowing it requires some amount of rationalization and not taking ourselves too seriously, which is something I think we should (continue to) do.

Cheers Toby.  Smiley

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:13:13 PM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

Toby - you are too funny!  I do hope that (assuming Apple is on the CTR course) you do at least stop to stay hello to Apple, even if you do resist the irresistible ice cream (and pomme de terre - OK, I admit I had to look that up on wiki).

Stefan is the one who should decide whether to ask Apple to leave the CTR.  However, even though I have no "trail cred" on this issue, I think he should remain on the CTR route.  He is something of a legend and he, his tent and his snacks are becoming part of the CTR.  It is now seems to be a customary stopping point for racers to take a break, talk to Apple and other racers and hikers before continuing.  Of course, it is up to the individual racers whether to partake of anything.  He is a true Trail Angel and he and his tent are available to all (racers, hikers, etc.).

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:20 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »

Well, I have no plans for CTR this year, but having experienced Apple's cuisine twice I just have to chime in here and offer a big hearty thanks to Apple for doing what he does. After hours of soul-crushing hike a bike, to enter Apple's magic meadow of treats and bonfire in '09 is something I'll never forget.

From the perspective of CTR, I don't really think it matters where the new location is. Racers are always faced with decisions whose actions will later be scrutinized by others. Racers can partake or not, it's their choice.

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:53:25 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »

Apple is a terrific guy, and stopping to chat at his tent is indeed one of the great traditions of the CTR.

For me, the bottom line is that Apple is a special case--and that taking a few goodies has been acceptable. His presence doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage, and the fact that he pre-dates the CTR is relevant. While I don't like it when people leave caches for CTR racers, and justify it by calling themselves trail angels, Apple is in an entirely different category.

FYI, Scott: now that you have exposed me as the hypocritical, arbitrary, and overly serious low-life that I am, I'm going to drown my sorrows by having a pizza (and a bottle of whine) flown in to Coney's! Wink

"Done"

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:23 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »

In 2009 we had no idea Apple was out there, so it was the most awesome surprise a Sargents Mesa weary bikepacker could be greeted by.  He was curious to quiz me about the (then still fairly new) trackleaders system, and told me about his IR (or laser?) counting system on the trail above his meadow.  Such a cool guy and great to talk to.

Toby, your Coney's feast sounds divine, and worthy of Snow White herself.  I'll join you for it.  Just use a commercial service, hired after race start and without use of a cell phone, to fly it in.  Wink

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:36 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

Toby, your Coney's feast sounds divine, and worthy of Snow White herself.  I'll join you for it.  Just use a commercial service, hired after race start and without use of a cell phone, to fly it in.  Wink
Trail magic, baby. I've added a fresh chamois to the delivery; you want one too?

"Done"

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:00:47 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »

I have been at Lujan Pass the last 3 years when the race went thru. I am really there for the hikers but I thoroughly enjoy the racers too. I am moving down into the Cochetopa this year and am planning to set up at Texas Creek. This is still on the CTR route but is close to the point where you all take a detour at the end of segment 18. The thing is, I could set up further south and thereby no longer be on your race route. An angel is really not totally appropriate on the CTR and could cause some bending of the rules... Of course I would much prefer to be on your race route because I like to hear your hair-raising stories about the race! Also I plan to serve ice cream this year which might be good down in that dry basin. So let me know if you want me on your route or not. I will not be insulted if you choose to move me further south. regards, Apple  glasses2   
Hi Apple, and thanks for posting! Sorry it took me so long to reply here.

So far, everyone posting is in agreement.  If you enjoy the racers, then by all means set up on the CTR route! I rode by your tent in the '09 CTR in the wee hours of the morning when no one was home, so I look forward to hopefully meeting you out on the trail this year.

Best,
Stefan

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:48 PM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Apple was a great motivation for riding across that awful trail from Marshal pass if only to see a friendly face. So with the race going the other way it would be cool if he was at marshal pass! I think it is fine with him on route and hope he stays on route.

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 09:55:32 AM
apple

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »

So you guys are racing eastbound this year? thanks

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 12:46:28 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »

Yep, Apple, eastbound this year, and we're starting a bit earlier than normal, on July 21st.  There will definitely be a westbound contingent, however.  Hope to see you out there!

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 01:01:46 PM
apple

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

Thanks. I will tell the folks on the CT forum. 

Topic Name: angel apple Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:02 AM
tubeSSnapper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »

In 2011 every inch of the CTR was new to me, so knowing (hearing) Apple was out there on some pass was neither here nor there regarding planning and resupply. I expected nothing and counted on nothing....as it should be. I say keep Apple's location on the down-low....his presence is super cool, but  angels aren't predictable are they?
Apple- thanks for the best Coke I've ever had(not hyperbole).
 A cold soda at the end of sargent's was an unreal dreamlike pleasure, but it would have less so if I had known it was coming.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: