Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:36 AM
2013TDhopeful

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »

I see places on the que sheets and maps to get bike parts/service along the GDMBR, but not being familiar with the course I was hoping a few people would be willing to name some of shops they would recommend along the route.  Thanks.     

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:55 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »

Without sounding like a smartass; on the ACA GDMBR maps, all bike shops on or near the route are listed. Do you have the maps? If not I can dig mine out and post names and tel numbers. BTW, it's worth it too buy the maps, even if you don't take them. Lots of good info on them.

Phil

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:16 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »

The only thing I can think to add, based on the LIMITED number of shops along the route is that the one in Rawlins, WY was closed as of August last year. I found that out when needing a tire....

I sent a note to ACA about the change, so it may get updated on the new maps. However, if you are looking at older ones, this would be a good bit of info.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:54 PM
2013TDhopeful

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

I have the ACA maps and have seen the icons for shops along the way on the gps files, but I noticed reading through older posts that people occasionally recommend stopping a certain bike shops.  Since some bike shops are much better than others (and that is not something I am able to get from the ACA maps) I was hoping that a few people familiar with the course could make recommendations about which shops they found to be the most helpful during the race. 

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:41 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish, MT. In Helena, MT The Garage. The Outdoorsman in Butte, MT Rob Leipheimers shop is a favorite. In Steamboat Springs, CO Orange peel, Abslout in Salida and in Silver City, New Mexico the Gila Hike and Bike. Not very many for such a long route.

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:45 PM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »

Had really great service at The Outdoorsman in Butte MT and the Orange Peel in Steamboat Springs CO. Better than average service at Absolute Bikes in Salida CO.

Pinedale WY has a hardware store with an above average selection of quality bike parts (for a hardware store) - but can't comment on service, per se. Just needed a new computer and tubes. They didn't have much for 29er tire selection - and as I eluded to above, I needed some. But this was late in the season, mid August.

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:31 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish, MT. In Helena, MT The Garage. The Outdoorsman in Butte, MT Rob Leipheimers shop is a favorite. In Steamboat Springs, CO Orange peel, Abslout in Salida and in Silver City, New Mexico the Gila Hike and Bike. Not very many for such a long route.

This is basically the list I'd give out, too. All these shops are super excited to see the riders come in during the race and will treat you well. I have to always remind myself I'm asking for immediate help at the height of their season, and they always seem to squeeze me in. It's incredible. Treat the wrenches that are performing those bike miracles well!

I'll also give a shout out to Hoback Sports in Jackson, WY, which isn't exactly on route, but good-lawd, did they go over and above the call of duty.

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:16:55 AM
JDP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:16:55 AM »

Big fork (just off route) has a shop that I found by accident and it just opened two days after the race started last year.   Really saved my bacon last year.  I think its called Montana Adventure Sports.  Think I was the first bike they fixed. If you ride past Whitefish, it may be a good option.

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:29 AM
2013TDhopeful

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

Not to discourage any future replies, but thanks for the names so far.  This is just what I was hoping to find out! 

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:55 AM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:55 AM »

I know everyone keeps saying Absolute Bikes in Salida, but there are two others in town as well (as of mid September, anyways).  They are the Salida Bike Company http://salidabikecompany.com/  and  Sub-Culture Cyclery http://www.subculturecyclery.com/.  Both of these shops are within 3-4 blocks of Absolute in downtown Salida.  I haven't had any experience with Sub-Culture, but had excellent service from the Salida Bike Company.  I wasn't racing the Divide, just in the area for some bikepacking, but I'd definitely recommend SBC.  I'm almost positive it's ran by the bike mechanic from Ride the Divide.  Great guy, btw.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:20:42 AM
Ferg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:20:42 AM »

If you get in a jam there's a shop 20 miles off the route in West Yellowstone, MT.    It's called Freewheel and Heel.  Also, I believe Great Divide Cyclery in Helena is still open.  The shop in the back of the hardware store in Pinedale can handle  basic things like tubes ,cables but probably not major rebuilds.   Breckenridge  CO has a couple of shops, one right on the route in downtown. 

Topic Name: Good Bike Shops Close to the GDMBR Route. Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:45:42 AM
Long Haul Greg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:45:42 AM »

I can attest to the pretty healthy parts selection at the Pinedale hardware store. I lost a mounting bolt on the rear disc brake somewhere before Warm Springs. I relocated one of the front bolts to the rear and wire braided the front to the fork mount.  The hardware store had a wide selection of consumables (brake pads, tubes, etc). Didn't have disc brake mounting parts, but the guy working the bike section helped me find the right bolt (length, thread) to do the job. Also had plenty of thread lock choices. Guess what I always use on all my fasteners now?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: