Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template on: November 14, 2009, 04:34:18 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:34:18 AM »

Optional items in [], event specifics in <>.  The no drafting clause - although I'm surprisingly mixed on it - should keep the ITT and race genres reasonably comparable, and in general I think this is a good start and can be modified to suit any organizers event specifics or particular interpretations.

Discuss.

1.  Personal responsibility.  The self-supported racing genre is predicated on personal responsibility and integrity with an overriding principle to do it all yourself and an equal opportunity for all.  This means that by taking the start in <event name> you personally acknowledge responsibility for (but not limited to) your own safety, rescue in the event it is required, legal implications of illegal acts, mechanicals, navigation & geographical orientation, food, water, shelter, and any other needs.  Prepare as though you will not see another human and have a backup/rescue plan in place.   You understand the rules and what it will take to follow them, but in the event you are unable to finish within them have the integrity to own it.

2.  No pre-arranged support.
    [exceptions, e.g. PO drops, shared water drops etc.]

3.  Complete the entire <route name> route under your own human power.  
    [event prohibited performance increasing technologies such as fairings, sails]
    [exceptions such as exist in CTR - don't get in a vehicle period, etc.]

4.  Under no circumstance may a racer move forward on route assisted.

5.  Racer interactions.
        a.  No drafting.
        b.  Pre-planned sharing of support tangibles between riders is prohibited.  [exceptions e.g. team allowance]
        c.  Incidental unplanned sharing between riders is acceptable.  Nothing banned nor required.
        d.  In the event inter-rider sharing is questioned to be collusion (pre-planned), clarification is the responsibility of the riders involved.  

6.  Information devices:  no restrictions.

7.  Relegations.  In the event of rule infractions, it is the responsibility of the racer to determine whether or not (s)he should be relegated.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:37:52 AM by DaveH » Logged

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:37 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »

RE: #7: The race director needs to be able to relegate someone.

Edit: The liability waiver is a good idea, although a lawyer should probably write it.

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:51:33 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »

I fall back on #1 to support this one.  Integrity and personal responsibility required.  If a rider tells me they completed TU within the rules I will take their word for it.  It's that simple.  If an organizer wishes to assume more responsibility than that they are of course free to do so.

Edit: The liability waiver is a good idea, although a lawyer should probably write it.

#1 is not intended as a liability waiver.  Waivers aren't worth much.  I've seen lawsuits develop in situations supposedly covered by waivers.  In the US, if somebody wants to sue a waiver won't prevent them from doing so.

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:34 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »

I fall back on #1 to support this one.  Integrity and personal responsibility required.  If a rider tells me they completed TU within the rules I will take their word for it.  It's that simple.  If an organizer wishes to assume more responsibility than that they are of course free to do so.

I see your point, I'm with you here.

Waivers aren't worth much.  I've seen lawsuits develop in situations supposedly covered by waivers.  In the US, if somebody wants to sue a waiver won't prevent them from doing so.

You are right of course, and I'm not a lawyer. I won't mention liabilities again after this post, but it's a concern that popped up while reading the other thread and I'd like to see you and the other race organizers protected.

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:00 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

Just in case you happen to be viewing this thread without the benefit of reading the rules thread beforehand ...

This is an attempt at creating a template from which organizers can create their own rules.  Ideally it will capture all the relevant issues.  This isn't a thread to debate the rules themselves, let's constrain the topics here to a template.  Are there issues not captured here?  Is this a good or bad idea?  I've put a bit of thought into this but don't even pretend to have all the bases covered.

It's meant to have few restrictions.  We could just say "no pre-arranged support" but that seems to get us in trouble Wink  Some of the items (like the gadget clause) might just be deleted from an actual event rule set.  Some of the items might read as an inverse of what is in the template, like 5c could be "unacceptable" rather than acceptable.  Those decisions are up to the organizer.  It's clear by now there is no consensus on the definition of self-support in a group race setting, so we are left with making sure we understand the rule set for our chosen events.

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:37 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »

re. #5(b)[exceptions]
suggestion:
One complete kit per bike. this will cover tandem racing--should it ever blow up, or even happen again.
this was our rule for jayp and t-race in TD09

#7 would be nice...

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:38:23 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »

I still think my draft from back in '07 holds up ok:

1) You are physically on your own. All food, water, and supplies must be either carried by you alone, purchased from a store off-route, or filtered from in situ sources along the course. No "coincidental" prearranged support, psychological or physical. If you bonk, get lost, or have a major mechanical or injury, have the knowledge, wherewithall, and ability to get yourself found and saved without the assistance of others.

2) Follow all LNT guidelines. No gel wrappers left on the trail! Knowledgeable violation will lead to a DQ and lifetime ban.

3) Be a good citizen. Interpret #1 within reason. If you see fit to give a fellow racer directions, mechanical assistance, water, a tube, or moral support, do so. Similarly, do not expect or feel entitled to any of the above. It's nice to have good neighbors, but there isn't a law mandating it.

4) Obey all laws, natural or man made. Don't be mean to hikers, cut off cars, or ride bikes off trail.

5) On "teams".  If two or more riders wish to start and finish as a self-contained unit, especially if an asymmetric share of certain burdens is pre-planned, do so intentionally.  Similarly, if riding together for the last miles eases the existential pain, feel free to indulge.  Finishing ranks will be listed as ties.  No hangers on is all I'm sayin'.

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:59 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:59 PM »

I still think my draft from back in '07 holds up ok:

1) You are physically on your own. All food, water, and supplies must be either carried by you alone, purchased from a store off-route, or filtered from in situ sources along the course. No "coincidental" prearranged support, psychological or physical. If you bonk, get lost, or have a major mechanical or injury, have the knowledge, wherewithall, and ability to get yourself found and saved without the assistance of others.

2) Follow all LNT guidelines. No gel wrappers left on the trail! Knowledgeable violation will lead to a DQ and lifetime ban.

3) Be a good citizen. Interpret #1 within reason. If you see fit to give a fellow racer directions, mechanical assistance, water, a tube, or moral support, do so. Similarly, do not expect or feel entitled to any of the above. It's nice to have good neighbors, but there isn't a law mandating it.

4) Obey all laws, natural or man made. Don't be mean to hikers, cut off cars, or ride bikes off trail.

5) On "teams".  If two or more riders wish to start and finish as a self-contained unit, especially if an asymmetric share of certain burdens is pre-planned, do so intentionally.  Similarly, if riding together for the last miles eases the existential pain, feel free to indulge.  Finishing ranks will be listed as ties.  No hangers on is all I'm sayin'.

I like it!

Topic Name: Self-supported racing rules template Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:25 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »

Both DaveC's and DaveH's rules are good, I could live with either.
phil
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: