Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: FNG on: November 29, 2012, 06:50:04 AM
Holt

View Profile
FNG
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »

I have been interested in Ultra racing for ever - I became a fan of John Stamstad in the early 90s. I have been a mid pack expert CC racer for many years. I also do marathon events - 50-60 mile races. I now have convinced myself to do some ultra events. My first big one(to me) will be the AZT300. I have been reading a lot on this site. I really want to do the CTR, I figure the AZT is a good stepping stone.
My bike (for now, I want a 29HT) is a Cannondale Carbon Rush, converted to 650b. I love the bike for one day events. It is limited for multiday because there is not a front triangle for a frame bag. Also limited water carrying, only one useable bottle cage. I just ordered a Feedbag, that will help.
I have a few questions if someone could point me to a good thread/blog, I would be grateful.
food & fuel - what to pack. what is realistic. How much water to carry.
resupply - how many days between spots
tools, tubes ect.
maps - directions & trail markings?

I am not going to be a racer in the sense of chasing someone down. I feel "my" best approach is to ride easy & constant. I want to finish, not win. what is a realistic finish ? i see thst the fast guys are doing 3ish days. what are slow guys doing? any reason I could be out more than 4,5 days? I am shooting for 4days.

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:31 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »

I had a custom frame bag made for my Cannondale RZ 120 (similar frame). It doesn't have room for bulky item, but it carries heavy things like my repair kit & spare parts much better than a handlebar bag or seat bag. For something like the AZT, you might even be able to get a Platypus bottle in there. Every little bit of space helps!

"Done"

Topic Name: FNG Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:41 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

This forum pretty much covers all your questions, it's just that sometimes the info is spread across various threads.  You can use the search function at top right, and at bottom left you can scroll back through pages and pages of threads pertaining to all things "ultra" bike pack racing.  Just a few threads below this one is this year's AZTR 2013 planning thread (which will pretty much stay on page 1 or near the top as the most recent posts within a thread bump that respective thread to the top of the list), and currently back on page 6 is the thread from last year's AZT race.  I'd take the time to read through ALL the posts from both threads to get a general feel for duration, equipment, etc., then chime in to this year's AZTR thread to ask more specific and narrowed-down questions.

Topic Name: FNG Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:36:16 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »

I have started reading the 21 pages of "2012 AZT 300/750"  Thanks, there is so much good info it’s easy to get lost and off track. I find myself looking for "food" then end up reading about tools... ha ha 
I found a old thread about doing this as a stage style race, guess that never worked out.
after reading about tires & flats. I am concerned that my 650b may not be a great thing. mainly because if I rip a tire the chance of a shop having one is zip. I guess I have been  lucky for a few years riding this set up.
My favorite ride ever year is in Terliguna TX. I go to the Big Bend area every February for the MTB festival -formally a stage race, then a marathon race, now a festival. I have lots of experience desert racing but not unsupported for 300 miles. I can’t wait.

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:56 AM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »

Holt, just think, you could go from being the FNG to a seasoned veteran in just 4 long days.  Wink

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: FNG Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

thats the plan  headbang

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:25 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Some of this will really very from one rider to the next and some things like water very from passage to passage. For the AZT you should have at least 6 liters capacity, not that you always need that much. The trick is knowing how far it is to the next source, and how much you need to get there at the speed you travel.

There's a results page http://www.topofusion.com/azt/results.php and you'll see people have taken 5-6 days 7 was a fluke, a hell of an effort but a fluke. 4 days is generally doable for fast fit riders.

You've got some time to catch up on your reading.

Tim

Topic Name: FNG Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:40 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 05:47:40 AM »

Thanks Tim.
I have also discovered the page with riders set up. thats is a big help.

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:05:59 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »

with Christmas coming soon, I am trying to figure out some things I will need. gift time...
I am thinking a GPS may be the ticket. I have never use one. I know there is a lot of options out there that can do different things. one question about GPS - are you guys using them to follow a pre set course? or to find where you are, if you are off course? I realize the answer is both - but from what I can tell the "bike" GPS units are more for tracking and not really for entering a map? it seems the more expensive units you can set up a map - and follow a pre marked course. If I am looking in the 200-250 range is there something better than another for this type of ridding/racing? I did look at the gear reviews, just want to get your thoughts. Maybe there is something new that is not on the list yet.

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 06:31:23 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »

The Etrex line have been the go to GPS units, from what I've seen here, for bikepacking. There are ways to recharge out on course but it's easier to just buy batts.

The races all have a course track that you load in. Then you mostly just follow the track. If your off track your off course, simple as that. Base maps are nice but not really needed, beyond what come with the unit that is.

Topic Name: FNG Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:33 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »

I have checked into the Etrex 30, looks good - hmm, Xmas...
are most people riding 29ers? I have a team/shop deal that may make a 29er realistic for me. I love the 650b, carbon FS, but may be able to get a steel (Ritchey)29? I think it will carry weight better...
pros and con of the 29 for multi day events? something that I think about (over thinking?) a larger wheel is harder to turn over on steep climbs?

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:41 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

29r's are very popular with the bikepacking crowd.

How hard it is to turn one over on a steep climb is directly related to your lowest gear.

Standard 9 speed drive train for a 26 inch bike is 22x34 for bikepacking it's nice to have a 20x36.

Of course the FNG now has even more ?.

There are several ways to achieve this new lower gear.

Actiontec the first two things listed here http://www.bikepacking.net/category/reviews/bike-components/

Shimano did come out with a 9 speed cassette with a 36 tooth but it was a tank.

Also you could just do a 10 speed cassette to get the 36 tooth and then use a 9 speed triple ring to get a 22. A 20 tooth on the standard 4 bolt spider doesn't work that well tho but a 21 has shown good results.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Topic Name: FNG Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 03:11:50 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »

I have been interested in Ultra racing for ever - I became a fan of John Stamstad in the early 90s. I have been a mid pack expert CC racer for many years. I also do marathon events - 50-60 mile races. I now have convinced myself to do some ultra events. My first big one(to me) will be the AZT300. I have been reading a lot on this site. I really want to do the CTR, I figure the AZT is a good stepping stone.
My bike (for now, I want a 29HT) is a Cannondale Carbon Rush, converted to 650b. I love the bike for one day events. It is limited for multiday because there is not a front triangle for a frame bag. Also limited water carrying, only one useable bottle cage. I just ordered a Feedbag, that will help.
I have a few questions if someone could point me to a good thread/blog, I would be grateful.
food & fuel - what to pack. what is realistic. How much water to carry.
resupply - how many days between spots
tools, tubes ect.
maps - directions & trail markings?

I am not going to be a racer in the sense of chasing someone down. I feel "my" best approach is to ride easy & constant. I want to finish, not win. what is a realistic finish ? i see thst the fast guys are doing 3ish days. what are slow guys doing? any reason I could be out more than 4,5 days? I am shooting for 4days.

Holt, welcome to the mtb ultra race world

If I were to advise a mid pack FNG cc expert on the AZT 300 I would start with the important stuff:

1)   Nail down proficiency with GPS, get this wrong and you will not finish, period!

2)   Study the route and know where (and when) you can find water & food—this will dictate your pre-race strategy(s).  And superior knowledge in this area will “optimize” your real-world race as things evolve real time

3)   Maintain your mid-pack expert level fitness—backed up with some multi-day experience this fitness level is more than good enough to contend for a top spot in the low 3 day range.

4)   Assuming you plan to ‘race’ and not just finish-- wrap your head around the concept of 2-4 hrs max duration for rest times.  4 hrs rest duration is on the conservative side for the AZT 300 at the ‘expert’ level.

5)   Start the race smooth & conservative—the ‘real’ race starts about 50-70 miles in—around this point is where the strong/well prepared start to settle down to their personal  long slog paces.  IE: By this point you really need to be holding a personal ‘pace’ so as to sustain #4 all the way to the finish. Note: the biggest part of maintaining your personal multi-day race pace is on-the- bike-nutrition.

After the important ‘race’ stuff comes some basics for just finishing:

a)   Tires: Any with a strong side wall and filled with stans will do—anything else is sub-optimal for the AZ300 (other than personal preference tire diameter does not matter & 650b is as good as any other as there is only one place on the 300 route to buy a replacement)

b)   Gear—the most important part of gear is clothing to fit the weather conditions (plan/bring a warm & cold clothing set & let the real time conditions dictate which you leave the start area with)

c)   Tools/parts- normal multi tool & spare tubes etc etc—have the stuff for basic repair & knowledge to fix a side wall gash and you are gold for the 300

d)   Sleep system—limit yourself to about 2-2.5 lbs and you will be bumping into the bottom of the “I am racing” vs “I am touring fast” category

Final comment:  As a FNG, if needed be willing to stop racing and re-prioritize mid-race so as to still finish, in multi-day racing perseverance till the end/finish teaches you the most for your next attempt, plus just finishing this type event  is the true reward regardless of time/position.

Marshal

Topic Name: FNG Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:39 AM
Holt

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »

Thanks for the great advice Marshal, and sorry for the slow response.
I have been out of town for the holiday. I spent way to much money on vacation this year, skiing is so much fun. With a family of 4 it can add up quick. My wife and kids were having such a good time we did two extra days.  What I am really saying is,  that new bike I "was" thinking about... maybe next year. ha-ha. I will work with what I have, I really like my bike so no problem...

I have read all of last years threads, good stuff. I also looked at a lot of "personal set up" and started reading some of y'alls ( I know, Texas hick) blogs. I now have a general idea of equipment & set ups.
I have an older Mountain Smith backpack that is a great bike pack, maybe even designed for biking. It may be a touch heavy by todays standards but my money needs to go to other things for now. It has good straps, a pocket for a water bladder, and good cinch straps to lock the load. The only down fall is that it's not rain proof? Because I cannot use a frame bag - full squish, I am thinking of using this for water & light things like clothing. Is there some type of rain fly that is good? I have thought about stuffing my clothing into a dry bag but would like to keep the whole backpack dry. Any ideas?   

My next purchase is a GPS - sounds like I need to do some rides and learn how to use one.

The Mutant

Topic Name: FNG Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:40:34 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:40:34 AM »

A rain cover that fits your pack will do the trick.  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=rei+rain+cover+backpack&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7LENP_enUS506#q=rei+rain+cover+backpack&hl=en&tbo=u&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7LENP_enUS506&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=ISbjUM3JMYnFrQH7xYHYBw&ved=0CE4Qsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWM&fp=e9b38bf81a00f83f&bpcl=40096503&biw=1311&bih=575
They also make a great stuff bag when sleeping to toss small items in so as to find them in the dark.  

Keep as much weight out of the pack (tools etc) & on the bike, test and trial different packing arrangements for weight balance & also most- used on the trail- accessibility/speed. Remember the AZT 300 is relatively short for a multi-day and you can get away with a less than ideal '1st timer' set up

GPS choices--While not an absolute requirement, a ‘disposable battery’ powered GPS has many advantages for multi-day racing.   Check for used ones on ebay etc.  I still use my older Garmin eTrex Vista but the new eTrex units are basically the same thing with usual improvements.  

Scott M--The man behind the whole AZT is a GPS guru and offers the software that many multi-day racers use http://www.topofusion.com/

I would recommend you read/study about mapping GPS units, memory, uploading routes etc etc.  Then get your unit & maybe topofusion, find/make some local tracks/routes and practice following said routes till the GPS is routine.  (And as some always seem to try--You do not want to be learning this stuff during the race)

Two ‘fun’ things that can help make someone a GPS expert are:
1)Use your GPS as part of your exercise plan—all the way up to combining recorded data with power meters
2)Geocaching—great fun with family and forces you to become familiar with your unit

Marshal
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:46:22 AM by Marshal » Logged

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: