Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record on: November 12, 2012, 11:22:43 PM
Carndt182

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »

Does any one know if there is a record for the completion of the C & O Tow Path and the Great Allegheny Passageway from Pittsburgh to D.C.? I have been hearing rumors of one, but have been unable to find the organization that recognizes it.

- Chris Arndt

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:38 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

Considering it was just connected all the way to point state park, I would think it is time for a new record that takes into account the new trail sections from homestead to PGH.  There are speed limits of 15 on all of the paths, so you have to take that into account when bragging about your time.  Your time on the bike better add up to at least 25 hours or you were speeding.

I recently did it from DC to PGH and it was pretty awesome - can't wait to hit it from the other direction.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:01 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

I also just did it DC to Pgh over the summer, at a 5 day touring pace with the girlfriend.

Time wise, I think it would be faster to go Pgh to DC since the GAP is so easy I'd rather have that be the uphill part at the beginning when I was fresh, cruise the 20+ miles downhill to Cumberland, refuel and have it be (ever so slightly) downhill the whole way to DC. Although it was nice to have the smooth crushed gravel of the GAP on sore rear ends after a few days in the saddle. Funny you bumped this today, I was just trying to figure out what the record was last night.

I just pre ordered the new Niner RLT9 and right when it gets here I am going to try to solo this and see how quick I can get it done. Realistically, I think it is pretty easily doable with two long days in the saddle, a nice long sleep and tons of food in Cumberland between the GAP and C&O. I don't think one would really have to push it very hard to do it in under 48, or even 36 hours. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the record was sub 24 hours.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:39:47 PM by Couloirman » Logged

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:50 AM
trail_turkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

A couple recently broke/set the record for the Pittsburgh to DC direction. Just under 24 hours. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/09/06/pittsburgh-to-dc-on-a-bicycle-built-for-two/

I did the route from DC to Pittsburgh in just under 48 hours a couple of weeks ago. Was not a hard or taxing effort in the least. Just had to stay in the saddle and out of the towns! http://talesofthetrailturkey.blogspot.com/2013/10/c-trail-to-gap-trail-bike-ride.html Of course the C&O was dry and I can imagine its a whole lot tougher and slower in wet conditions.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:48 PM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

The C&O sucks when it's wet. And it stays wet for days after it rains. I really had my ass handed to me when I rode it over Labor Day. The rain stopped about the time I started the first night. The next two days it was sloppy until about 4 miles from Cumberland. Air near the river stays humid and the trail doesn't drain. Some mud is sticky and some is very slippery. I started at great falls, rode to MM0 then went to Cumberland so I had 200 miles of that nastiness before I got to the gap. Still better than a great day at work.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:58 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »

Been looking into this as well..... Figured a winter two day trip, but heard they close tunnels in the winter? Anyway around these?

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:45 PM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »

I encourage every, and any cyclist who lives near either of these two routes, to come on out and ride along with me as I cycle on through Washington DC, to Pittsburgh, starting this Wednesday morning(10/23). This is a historical effort taking place in that I will be carrying the official nomination ballot for the soon to be announced 2013 Mustached American of the Year Award winner, being crowned this coming Saturday up in the steel town. Whether you are a past/present/future TOUR DIVIDE rider, bikepacker, or just an all around cycling enthusiast, c'mon out and ride!

http://www.americanmustacheinstitute.org/blog/2013/10/costello-to-cycle-from-nations-capitol-to-pittsburgh-with-goulet-winners-name-in-hand/

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:40:01 PM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

Snowbd2u, I see you are from my neck of the woods.  To answer your question, they close the big savage tunnel. I think that would suck, not an easy detour around it but there have been some published. Big savage is the only one I know of that closes. I didn't see doors on the others. The gap Facebook page usually announces the closing dates.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:49 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »

Snowbd2u, I see you are from my neck of the woods.  To answer your question, they close the big savage tunnel. I think that would suck, not an easy detour around it but there have been some published. Big savage is the only one I know of that closes. I didn't see doors on the others. The gap Facebook page usually announces the closing dates.
I'm from out west and have no familiarity with this area at all - why do they close the tunnel?

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:19 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »

I'm from out west and have no familiarity with this area at all - why do they close the tunnel?

The condensation or groundwater from above the tunnel freezes inside and forces the bricks apart I guess. They close the doors on the big savage tunnel every winter to protect it.  I think there is a detour, most of the people say it's miserable but then again most of the people in those forums ride recumbent bikes or pull trailers so they are different kinds of cyclists.  In my feeble mind there should be a hike-a-bike over/around it but I passed through it at night and wasn't able to gauge whether or not that was possible. 

Here is a map of that section of the gap.  http://www.atatrail.org/tmi/map1.cfm  I guess you could skip it by riding roads from Deal to Frostburg - I'm sure there is a published detour but the ATATrail people won't say because of a liability issue.  Their company line is "sorry, wait til spring"

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:11 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »

I think there is a detour, most of the people say it's miserable but then again most of the people in those forums ride recumbent bikes or pull trailers so they are different kinds of cyclists. 

The forums I'm talking about are the C&O and GAP forums on other sites - I know there are two on groups.yahoo.com and others elsewhere, but I have not seen much from people on those groups who are into ultralight touring or racing.  If you wanted to turn some cat litter buckets into nice waterproof panniers, they can tell you all about that.  There is also a lot of bellyaching about the "hump" in the middle of the C&O - because it is basically doubletrack - and how your recumbent trike or two wheel trailer always has one wheel on the hump.

Maybe when I'm older I will carry a full sized coleman camp stove, gas lantern, and my guitar on a tour. But for now I can't relate.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:49:24 AM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:49:24 AM »

Ya from around here.... Born on that wee hill in warrenton! Bike stop junkie and a single speed enthusiast! Tackling the tourdivide this summer, figured I'd give the tow path a gander since I'm close.

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:58 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »

Ya from around here.... Born on that wee hill in warrenton!

I work on that hill.  Definitely give the towpath a gander, it's good for TD training in that you can practice packing, getting your bike dialed in, stealth camping, and total mind numbing boredom.  You wont get mountains or bears though.  I won't get back out there until November but I will see if I can drive to PGH and ride back - hopefully before they close the tunnel.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:04 AM
trail_turkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »

I won't get back out there until November but I will see if I can drive to PGH and ride back - hopefully before they close the tunnel.
I took the train from PGH to DC and road home. $60 one-way including $10 for the bike. Bike box is free if they have any left by other riders (they said they usually do) otherwise the box is another $15. Still cheaper than driving one way and riding back. I highly recommend it.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:32 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »

Amtrak tried out "Roll On" service for bicycles on the Pittsburg - DC line.
Read about it here:
http://times-news.com/local/x252032500/Amtrak-cyclists-test-roll-on-service

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:11 AM
mangoman

Belt+Rohloff'd ECR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »

Shuffling bikes... sold my Fatback for a custom-built ECR. Looks like the Allegheny could be the ECR's first long trip in late January or early February. But I've heard the chatter about the tunnel being closed in winter—anyone know when the tunnel is reopened for Spring?

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:05 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »

The tunnel opening won't be confirmed until closer to time, but I think it's march or April. I think the atatrail website has more information. There is a reroute on local roads but you need another source for that because the trail authority doesn't want any liability for it.

Remember when you read stuff about these trails that a lot of the users are people with 150 pounds of gear, pulling trailers, riding recumbents, etc and their tolerance for hills, roads, bumps, etc is very low compared to an endurance cyclist on a mountain bike with ultralight gear.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:30 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »

Gaptrail.org says April 10th but it is subject to change if the weather is abnormally warm or cold.

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 10:13:54 AM
mangoman

Belt+Rohloff'd ECR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »

Thanks for the info! Appreciate that very much. Might have us looking for a southerly route instead of the Allegheny (for the initial break-in ride, at least).

Topic Name: Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Tow path record Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:08 AM
al_maxey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »

The GAP is a great trail but camping is a little more sparse than on the C&O.   If I had the time I wouldn't think twice about a winter ride on the GAP and just go around the Big Savage tunnel. 

The detour is 11 miles http://linkup.shaw-weil.com/detoursavage.htm
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: