Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:54 PM
Done

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

While there hasn't been a Kokopelli's Trail Race in years, lots of folks still ride it solo against the clock in true ITT style. Now that I've done it twice, I've got an decent GPX track to post that includes waypoints for a few crucial water stops and geographic features. I've also included detailed graphical profile with matching waypoints. This file is very similar to the one posted on this site, just somewhat more accurate and with more waypoints.

Download here: http://tobygadd.blogspot.com/2012/11/kokopellis-trail-gpx-track.html

Please let me know if you find any errors! Thanks!

Cheers,
Toby

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:25 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »

Thanks for posting this Toby.  I rode Koko a few years ago as an ITT.  The gpx file avail on this site was inaccurate between the waypoints you labeled as "cisco access" and "COriver".  I was riding that particular section of trail in the middle of the night and got super confused when the track left the road and just headed off cross country through the desert, no road, no trail, nothing.  I didn't want to stray from the gps track so I just pushed my bike through the middle of nowhere for about a mile.  Lot's of stuff running through my head during that mile.  If it had been daylight and my mind was clearer I would have stayed on the road!  But not knowing where I was I was extremely hesitant to stray from the line on my screen.  I had to scramble down embankments, etc.  Eventually the track brought me back to the actual route but it was mentally tough in the middle of the night.  I was trying to ride much of the trail at night thinking I would need less water.  Good times!  Perhaps bp.net admin should use or link to your track on the routes page.  Cheers.

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:55 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »

Yeah, I did exactly the same thing Aaron! That was actually one of the big inspirations behind posting my updated GPX file. Hopefully it will help others avoid nighttime craziness. Bikepacking.net is indeed welcome to use mine (with proper credit).

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:13 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

Toby,

Isn't following someone else's GPS track a little too much hand holding for you?? icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:24:59 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »

Toby,
Isn't following someone else's GPS track a little too much hand holding for you?? icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
Ha, I knew that was coming!

I don't kill the food that I eat, I don't make the bikes that I ride, and don't knit the clothes that I wear. Happy? Wink

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:10 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »

Ha, I knew that was coming!

I don't kill the food that I eat, I don't make the bikes that I ride, and don't knit the clothes that I wear. Happy? Wink

Slacker! But hey thanks for the track, I may use it some day!

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:37:51 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

Slacker! But hey thanks for the track, I may use it some day!
Koko is BIG fun and highly recommended. It's hard, but incredibly beautiful and rewarding. Please feel free to ping me if you need ideas for water, etc.

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:08 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

D'oh, I see the errors in my, what, 6.5 year old track.  IIRC my GPS was shutting off (that old problem...) but I thought I had corrected it (at least in the version of the Koko that goes out with demo versions of TopoFusion).

I think I'll take you up on the offer to use your track, Toby, thanks.  The Koko has long been demystified, so handing out water source locations seems fine, though some would argue people should do. that. part. themselves.  Wink

Thanks for the post, and sorry about the bogus track.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:55 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

D'oh, I see the errors in my, what, 6.5 year old track.  IIRC my GPS was shutting off (that old problem...) but I thought I had corrected it (at least in the version of the Koko that goes out with demo versions of TopoFusion).

I think I'll take you up on the offer to use your track, Toby, thanks.  The Koko has long been demystified, so handing out water source locations seems fine, though some would argue people should do. that. part. themselves.  Wink

Thanks for the post, and sorry about the bogus track.
My track by no means includes ALL water sources, just the ones that I decided were necessary for me to complete a one-day ride.

Scott, please check the tracks before posting them. I've tried hard to make sure that they're correct, but it would probably be a good idea to get another set of experienced eyes to review them. Thanks!

Since it's been brought up twice now, I figure that I should address why, as "Do It Youself" fanatic, I'm OK with posting detailed GPX track. The answer is simple: Those who have ridden the CTR and/or Kokopelli likely used lots of information from friends, guidebooks, blogs, etc. So, I'm not providing any information that wasn't already out there in one form or another. Especially for people new to the sport, or from outside of the area, it's a PITA to try to find even basic information that locals can get by making a couple of calls. All of that said, anyone who thinks that they can ride Kokopelli's with just a GPX is going to wind up being vulture bait! Lots of planning is necessary, and people should use every resource that they can get the hands on.

Also, thanks for the original GPX files that you posted, Scott!

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:04 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

Will do on the check.

We're mostly just ribbing you.  But as a historical note, there were those against releasing GPX, even tracks.  The argument was and still is valid -- self support suggests you should do your own map work.  I argued it was the best tool for leveling the playing field and limiting the local advantage, along similar lines as you.  I still think people should do most of their own water and supplemental waypoint work, but your point about international people and the info being out there is a fair one.  I don't provide any for the AZT, but recently AZTTripper has been putting together such info, specific to the race route.

Thanks.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:48 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »

We're mostly just ribbing you. 
I deserve all of the ribbing that you can dish out. Smiley

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:07:20 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Track looks good, except in the spot shown on the attached map.

It's where Troybuilt ends.  Your track is blue.  Green is the Koko track from bp.net.  Red is what I rode on the Grand Loop 2009.

I am not sure what the trail you took is.  I see it on the aerials.  Looking at this map:

http://gpsbiker.com/Colorado/Fruita/map.gif

It looks like it shows TroyBuilt as doing what the green and red show.  New reroute, social trail?  Which is the KT?

* kokotroy.jpg (146.14 KB, 1189x719 - viewed 296 times.)

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:25 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

Track looks good, except in the spot shown on the attached map.

It's where Troybuilt ends.  Your track is blue.  Green is the Koko track from bp.net.  Red is what I rode on the Grand Loop 2009.

I am not sure what the trail you took is.  I see it on the aerials.

It looks like it shows TroyBuilt as doing what the green and red show.  New reroute, social trail?  Which is the KT?
I vaguely remember that section. If I recall correctly, there was some new trail work, so I think that it might be a re-route. But I honestly don't know for sure. I wish that I could ride out today and have a look! If there's anyone in GJ who can do it, please let me know. Thanks!

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:02 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Looks like it is a re-route, from what I read here:

http://rexmario.blogspot.com/2010/03/troy-built-loop.html

Phew. I was worried you were going to have to self-DQ yourself from a Koko ITT.  Cheesy

I'll get your track up here on the site.  Thanks Toby.

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »

Phew. I was worried you were going to have to self-DQ yourself from a Koko ITT.  Cheesy
Laugh all you want, but the thought actually crossed my mind! Yes, I am a nutbag. On the way to work this morning, I started thinking about having to ride it "clean" in 2013 if I had missed a section. Kind of a good excuse to get out there again, anyway. Looks like I'll need to make up a different reason--like perhaps to find the marbles that I dropped out there last year.

Thanks for checking it so carefully, Scott. I'm glad that it's good enough to post on bikepacking!

"Done"

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:52 PM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

Oh yeah, I recall some confusion on troy built...kind of.  I seem to remember the track from bp.net wanting to take me down a trail with closed signs as I worked over to salt creek.  I had to backtrack a down a small hill I had just come up and get on the new trail.  Just a guess but I think Toby's blue line is the new correct route. 

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:07:04 PM
Buttermilk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »

Is this route typically rode from Moab -> Grand Junction? In my minds eye I saw it going the other way... Also, what is the magic time to ride this route? Earlyish spring?

Toby, thanks for your gpx file. I like the disclaimer on your blog, especially because the file of yours I used on the CTR last August took me straight off a cliff. I almost died. Just kidding...however I certainly hit some mental & physical cliffs en route to Durango.

Up & down on dirt & snow
I've got all my eggs in one basket

Topic Name: Kokopelli's Trail GPX Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:53 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »

Is this route typically rode from Moab -> Grand Junction? In my minds eye I saw it going the other way... Also, what is the magic time to ride this route? Earlyish spring?

Toby, thanks for your gpx file. I like the disclaimer on your blog, especially because the file of yours I used on the CTR last August took me straight off a cliff. I almost died. Just kidding...however I certainly hit some mental & physical cliffs en route to Durango.
I'm not sure which way the route is "typically" ridden, as people regularly ride it both ways. Most of the recent record-setting rides seem to be from Moab to GJ though. I say ride it the way that works best for you--taking into consideration daytime/nighttime temperatures, whether you like to climb early or late in a long ride, speed, scenery, shuttle logistics, water stops, etc.

As far as time of year, I've done it in May both times. The goal is to find a time of year when you can avoid the heat down low (which can be 100+ in the summer, June through September), and snow/mud up high (which can sometimes persist into May). Snowpack and water accessibility varies from year-to-year too, so it's not a bad idea to check in with Moab bike shops before finalizing plans.

Nice to hear that my CTR track didn't kill you! It's a little nerve-wracking to post tracks in the wild. I do my best to get them right, but I still worry about the possibility of an error causing an unfortunate rider some extra pain.

"Done"
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: