View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 03:52:21 AM »

LOI sent last night  headbang

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

Just sent a provisional letter of intent, a official one is to follow. A big year for me Highland Trail Race followed by the TD!

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 10:10:35 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »

Seems like I'm in too.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:56 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

Any advice on flying into the, "area" from the States on a reasonable budget? All the flights I'm checking out that go to Glasgow aren't super reasonable. I'm guessing I can fly anywhere into island of Great Britain, and train/ride in from there.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:50 PM
T.Ray

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »

Any advice on flying into the, "area" from the States on a reasonable budget? All the flights I'm checking out that go to Glasgow aren't super reasonable. I'm guessing I can fly anywhere into island of Great Britain, and train/ride in from there.

Hey Justin and anyone else!I have a good friend from Scotland that I'm going to see after Turkey Day.I sent him a text about the ride and he said he would help me with all the Flight info and other stuff i may need to know.Sit tight and i will keep you posted,and if you have any questions you want me to ask him let me know.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:24 PM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »

I just booked my flight from Denver to Glasgow (via Heathrow on British Airways). Flights into Heathrow are 60% taxes but not bad for a direct flight from DIA. I decided I better book before any new tax or fuel charges jump the fees up any more. Go to British Airways direct website and you will be able to check fares. Also keep in mind their fare allows your bike checked at no additional fee if it is below 51 pounds.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:23 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »

Just booked my ticket from Atlanta and getting in on May 23rd. If that jives with anyone's plans let me know. I also extended the trip so I can hang out with my wife afterwards so gotta figure out where to stash the bike after the race for a week or so.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 04:05:59 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

First post, so hi all.

I'm also signed up for this, but given the obvious experience of the other riders on this I reckon I'll be up for the lanterne rouge!!

However, while I may not have race experience I do have the local knowledge living in Edinburgh. Feel free to PM me about any logistical queries you may have. My initial thoughts on transport are to get the train via Glasgow to Tyndrum on the Friday beforehand, as I doubt I'd bring the car up. Accommodation in Tyndrum can be quite popular, but there are a few campsites very near the start so I reckon a night there is how I'll play it unless the weather is looking particularly grim.

DGJESSE - while I don't have bike storage myself I can arrange for storage in my parents' garage which is about 3 miles from Edinburgh Airport if that's any help? Just need to get the bike down there.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:22 PM
AlanG

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

There are now 43 signed up for the group start in May which I think is enough for the first year so entries are closed.
The website has been updated with the names, there will be some very experienced riders lining up so it should be a very competitive race with some fast times posted. Hopefully we'll have coverage on Trackleaders so you'll be able to watch all the action.

Alan

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:11 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »

DGJESSE - while I don't have bike storage myself I can arrange for storage in my parents' garage which is about 3 miles from Edinburgh Airport if that's any help? Just need to get the bike down there.

Thanks for the offer! I dont know if that will work but I did want to get over to Edinburgh so maybe. I will let you know as I figure out my logistics and plans after the race.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:36 PM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »

For anyone thinking of getting a train be careful that often only 2 bikes are allowed per train and spaces need to be booked in advance.
Worth noting that if you book early you will get much cheaper prices and booking can be made from 3 months before travel usually.

The UK is not that big and you can fly into London and get a train up in a day.  Also try Manchester airport as it is on the line to Glasgow to compare time -v-cost.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Justin - we met briefly in Silver City in 2011 when I was with Joel from Spain, be good  to see you over here sometime.

Loads of riding over here for anybody wanting to do a bit more.  The UK packs a lot of different riding into a relatively small space.  I am retired so can do some 'guiding' if required after the race.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:48 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 03:22:48 AM »

Trying to figure out a) whether to bring my bike or rent; and b) if I bring, how I'm getting from and to the Glasgow airport. Any US riders (or other flyers) coming in on May 23? I know it's a bit early but since I wasn't sure of the logistics I didn't want to rush. Also... is it possible to ride out of the airport...? Anyone up for a "prologue?" 

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 08:14:42 AM
Chew

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »

Glasgow airport should be easy as you can get the train straight to Tyndrum via Glasgow (You'll probably need to book two tickets as they go via diferent stations in Glasgow, but they're only a 5 min walk apart)

If you want you can ride up to Tyndrum, along the West Highland way. It would probably take a day and you'll get in a bit of hike-a-bike practice in along the way.

As Blackhound says, it might be as easy to fly into Manchester (its an international airport, Glasgow isnt). If you use the train make sure you book a space for your bike, as spaces are limited. You cant do this online. I always book mine at the local station, but unsure how you would do this from overseas. Its also worth noting that the English/Scottish rail networks operate seperatly, so there are bargins available by booking one ticket from England to Glasgow and then another from Glasgow to Tyndrum.

I've been fortunate enough to have a ridden part of the route between Ullapool and Lagan. You wont be dissapointed and the Torridon part of the route looks even more spectatular

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 08:40:13 AM
sanjuanrider

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »

Trying to figure out a) whether to bring my bike or rent; and b) if I bring, how I'm getting from and to the Glasgow airport. Any US riders (or other flyers) coming in on May 23? I know it's a bit early but since I wasn't sure of the logistics I didn't want to rush. Also... is it possible to ride out of the airport...? Anyone up for a "prologue?" 

I will be arriving in Glasgow (via British Airways) on the 23rd (via Denver >Heathrow>Glasgow).  I booked a night at the Holiday Inn Express across the street from the airport (2 minute walk apparently).  I got my room for free using points but the rate is relatively cheap compared to most B and B's I've seen listed throughout the country.  I will be catching a ride to Tyndrum on the 24th with another rider.  My only logistics at this time is trying to find a place in Tyndrum (or Glasgow) to store my bike box and gear for after the ride. Oh - and also finding a way back to Glasgow after I'm done riding.  Send me a PM if you want to try and coordinate logistics (I can give you my phone Number in the US).

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:38 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »

Chew makes a good point about reserving your bike that I omitted.  You do need to buy a passenger ticket and *then* the bike reservation. Not sure about international customers though.  I might be in a position to help but do not want to make an absolute promise.  I used to work for British Railways before privatisation and continued in the rail industry later. This means I have a free pass and can turn up at a window and book a ticket for myself.  It is not named so I do not have to travel on it.  Getting the reservation to you may be an issue though.

sanjuanrider - Regarding leaving a bike box try booking your last night at the HIex and they will probably look after your box while you are away.  One of the big chains over in Portland did this for me when I went touring in Oregon last year. Picked this up from a Canadian rider I met in France a few years ago.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:07 AM
alpinum

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:07 AM »

Hi folks

I'll be arriving from Switzerland on Friday, plane should land at three o'clock. I
thought of picking the train, but unfortunately it's departure's a wee bit close to
the flight arrival.

If there's anybody going through Edinburgh Friday evening or Saturday morning and eager to give a chap and
his bike a lift, I'd be glad (I'm going through duty free - bribe anybody ;-)).

My plan is to deposit my bikebag at the b&b in Edinburgh. One I've been staying before.
Besides that, I won't bring too much gear along.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:04 AM
alpinum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »

Changed my plans. I'll be arriving on Wednesday and won't be needing a lift. Cheers nonetheless.

Looking so much forward to some riding in Scotland.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:04 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »

Just realized it was less than 3 months to the race! Super stokes. Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:22 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Training? I knew I was forgetting something. Smiley

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:56 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »

Training? I knew I was forgetting something. Smiley

Ah, so it's not just me who hasn't ridden anywhere near enough?
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: