Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #180 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:19 AM
Jamesybob

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »

I toured some of the route last year including the Fisherfield part and the river was about mid thigh at the loch, recommended crossing point.  The water is basically still with no current so not too scary and as Alan mentioned the river bed is smooth.  Not sure I'd be too keen to head out into the loch looking for the sandy U shape from google image.  It rained heavily all day the day before until evening and was then dry.  There was debris on the river backs 1 - 2 metres above water level which suggests the water can get pretty high and would be impassable.

Feet were wet much of the time I was out as there is usually boggy ground to walk, unavoidable puddles, stream crossings or rain but feet weren't cold with decent wool socks.

I rode the new way into Fisherfield as well and the descent was good, steep track with a great bit of singletrack along the valley to get to Shenavel.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #181 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:37 PM
McNik

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »

I have a pair of the Pearl Izumi X Project 1.0 at the moment, they fit ok and seem good in terms of lightness and venting, but the top strap has an adjustment plate on the crank arm facing side of the shoe, and that seems to be able to catch / rub on the crank arm, which seems really stupid, so I have ordered the 2.0 version that has less venting but no top strap adjustment, which should be more carbon crank arm friendly.

In terms of training, all was going great till 1 1/2 weeks ago. I had a business trip, then on return got a blooming chest infection which is still working its way out... and I have another 6 day trip a week before the race starts. So basically I only have a couple of weeks of training left... I hope I have done enough up to this point.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #182 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:34 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »

You'll be fine Nik - you seem to have done a lot more than I have. Cairngorms Loop is my training ride / shakedown for HTR though. I too can't get much riding in between now and the race, but I just hope that what I do get in counts for something.

I've just ordered a set of Pearl Izumi X Alp Seek (£62 online) and I'm hopeful they'll be comfy for walking while being cheaper than the X Project I was initially looking for.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #183 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:02 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »

Just two questions from my side.

1. Credit Card or cash? I guess in the tiny villages cash is the better choice, isn't it?
2. Just for the case - water from streams: Is it portable after treatment (no filtering only purification tabs)? 

Thanks!

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #184 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:23 AM
drjon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »

Cash. Water from fast flowing water generally ok with no treatment tabs will be fine! I'm using uv cos I'm paranoid.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #185 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:18 AM
AlanG

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

I'm paranoid too so last year I used Puritabs but the guy I rode with drank untreated water straight from the streams. Neither of us got sick but my thinking is why risk it when you have trained half a year for something?

I have just bought a Sawyer Mini Filter which claims to remove bacteria, protozoa and cysts. It doesn't remove viruses but the salesman told me we don't have them in the water here in the U.K. Does anyone know if that is true?

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #186 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:53 AM
drjon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »

I probably ought too! I'll try and find out. I'd be surprised if we didn't in some ways, as far as I understand it viral contamination is only common in urban areas. Will check!

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #187 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:02 AM
drjon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

Yeah. Possible. Very unlikely in hills, as in super unlikely. However if nearer urban areas possible. I went with uv as it is quick to do good volumes and it is very unlikely you won't pass- clear flowing stream within an hour or two of needing some, so it seemed sensible. It does all pathogens, but they can feasibly re activate if the water is stored for long term. Zap and drink.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #188 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:08 PM
AlasdairMc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »

Dead sheep rule applies in Scotland. I don't know anyone who has caught anything from bad water in Scotland. However the water should be running off rock, because if it's from a field or forest it'll be full of whatever the forest or field was treated with and may taste dodgy.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #189 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:27 PM
cccniuk

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

Cash! Usually wild water is fine in scotland. Except in areas with livestock. Including dear. Water viruses are few and far between. Can only think of hepatitis. I usually treat, as I could not face my colleagues saying water borne infection. However weils disease is much more worry some as would lyme from ticks so pack a tick tool. One otherthing make sure you always have change for a public phone call, and if you have a bt wifi account know it as you may not get mobile coverage but bt wifi is actually ok for parts of the route. Best of luck racers. I am very jealous,  as I could not realistically get cover for myself. 

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #190 on: April 24, 2014, 01:32:09 AM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

Is anyone coming through Glasgow Friday afternoon with an extra slot in their bike rack?  If so, I'd be more than willing to help chip in for gas and will buy you a beer or two as well.  I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn at the Glasgow Airport.  If it's out of your way, it's no big deal, there's a train station right there as well.  Thanks in advance, and hope to see everyone on the 24th!

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #191 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:29 AM
AlanG

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »

I'm passing Glasgow Airport on Friday 23rd. You are welcome to have a ride up to Tyndrum.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #192 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:43 AM
kbrembo

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »

I am a Highland Local and have been riding a lot of the trails up North and I also did the Inner Cairngorm Loop on Saturday...
I always drink the water from burns untreated and I am usually always fine but I have had dodgy guts a couple of times so if your not used to it I would take a filter.
Right now the trails are super dry and rivers are low....this could change overnight.

Cash is King in the Highlands..you will get ATM's in Fort William,Fort Augustus and Lochinver. Most places take Switch/Visa etc but will have a £5 min spend.

Due to a mild winter there is a much higher chance of midges...be warned! Best repellent for me is "smidge" some people like avon skin so soft but I personally don't.

Regarding Shoes.. I have been using Mavic Alpine XL and Spuik Risko...both have been great on Hike a Bike. I will probably use the Mavic's for the HT.

If anyone has any specific questions about the area...just ask!

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #193 on: April 24, 2014, 04:58:34 AM
ScotRoutes

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »

I'm out.

I did 197km of the route over the weekend and decided that while I might just about be able to make it round in the 8 day target, I certainly wouldn't enjoy it  icon_biggrin

Some of the trails I was on were very wet but that's due to record levels of snow over the winter now melting. Hopefully, it'll return to normal over the next few weeks.

I'll be following the race and might see some of you on the trail, camera in hand.

Some photos of the southern section here....
http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/04/count-me-out.html

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #194 on: April 24, 2014, 06:14:02 AM
kbrembo

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »

That's a shame Colin...you have put in some good runs!

I took a spin out with Bothy Bikes last night and it certainly breaks the monotony of the long solo rides!

The trails will always be there and at least your not far from them so you can enjoy them at your leisure!

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #195 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:07 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »

Due to a mild winter there is a much higher chance of midges...be warned! Best repellent for me is "smidge" some people like avon skin so soft but I personally don't.

Can I buy the Repellent in Tyndrum or do I have to order the stuff in advance? I have still some "OFF" left, but I don't know if it will work or not?

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #196 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:29 AM
cccniuk

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »

Tyndrum is small. Would not guarantee you could get it on arrival. Most big supermarkets have repellent. They are all much of a muchness. A face net works well for me. Each to there own.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #197 on: April 24, 2014, 11:31:41 AM
ScotRoutes

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »

Avon Skin so Soft is usually available mail order. The US version actually contains an insect repellant too. For the UK version to be effective it needs to be applied as a barrier (i.e. thickly) and frequently topped up. You'll smell like an old lady and will be covered in a thin film of animal protein but at least they can't bite you through it, unlike the clegs who will scoff at your lack of preparation.

Smidge is much, much better and will keep them from landing on you. It keeps it powers for quite a while and is non-destructive to plastics and synthetic materials (like DEET is). It will also deter clegs.

It's becoming increasingly common to find it in places that are midge affected (such as Tyndrum), but Tescos supermarkets also sell it.

http://midgeforecast.co.uk/smidge/stockists

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #198 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:47 AM
drjon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

id be gobsmacked if the green welly shop in tyndrum didnt have it? http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/smidge-insect-repellant/38399.html suggests it would? does anythign *really* work apart from white clothes and moving fast ? :-)~

however, if smidge deters clegs im all ears. i hate those fkrs.

Topic Name: Highland Trail Race Reply #199 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:40 PM
AlanG

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

For non locals, clegs are horse flies. I didn't notice any in last May's HT but when I was up in July Fisherfield was alive with them!
  Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: