Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Conti Race King questions on: July 29, 2012, 03:13:05 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »

So after reading a few reviews and having used Conti tires before, I am looking to use the Race King for the Trans Iowa and hopefully, the TDR. Just a few questions related to the stats and the tire itself:
1. I have a 26er so obviously I am going with the 26 size tire but what is with the 2.0 or 2.2? Width?
2. In relation to this link: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/cc_marathon/Race%20King/raceking_en.html
Can anyone tell me what the difference of the models are? Can be a short answer and can exclude the tubeless and/or 29 models.
3. I was going to purchase them on Amazon and also didn't know the difference between fold and fold/black chili. I am guessing one is lighter(black chili) but just had to ask the difference. I was looking at black chili after reading the website link.

Anything else I should know would be great. Conti has been great for my tri tires and I plan to continue that as I move out of triathlon.

THanks

I've gone crazy, couldn't you tell!

Topic Name: Conti Race King questions Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:27 AM
D45yth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »

I've no experience with the Race Kings but have used other Conti tyres in the past.  The 'Black Chili' versions are the ones made in Germany, out of their best, grippiest(sp?) rubber compound.  The others are made from harder rubber and most of them, if not all, are made in the Far East.

- The seasons blow away but the love is just the same -

Topic Name: Conti Race King questions Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:04 AM
jeffkerkove

Topeak | Ergon | Canyon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:04 AM »

Go with the Race King 2.2 Protection.  This 2.2 size tire measures more like a 2.1 from other brands.  The Protection version is strong and has the Black Chili compound which is "grippy", not to mention rolls faster.  The Protection also goes tubeless via Stan's very easily.  Yes, it is made in Germany, handmade at that.  It would be a great Trans-Iowa tire, especially for mtb.

Topic Name: Conti Race King questions Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:27:58 PM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »

Race kings are very fine, fast rolling tires, perfect for the tdr and the like. I'd personally go for the 2.2 as they measure smaller then they claim, just like Jeff says and he knows as I believe he's sponsored by them.
I run the 29er version on a bike and don't hesitate to take it out on the non-technical trails in the local forest on one day and do a century road ride the next day (or often a century forest ride). I just add/loose some air and pedal away.

Topic Name: Conti Race King questions Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:42 PM
scooteremu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »

Go with the Race King 2.2 Protection.  This 2.2 size tire measures more like a 2.1 from other brands.  The Protection version is strong and has the Black Chili compound which is "grippy", not to mention rolls faster.  The Protection also goes tubeless via Stan's very easily.  Yes, it is made in Germany, handmade at that.  It would be a great Trans-Iowa tire, especially for mtb.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Do you think we will have a V9?

I've gone crazy, couldn't you tell!

Topic Name: Conti Race King questions Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:14 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »

Definitely my favorite tire. I've only run the 2.2 Supersonics in the 26in size and they've been great. Gone through 5 tires with no flats, and they are as supple as-they-come if you dial in the air pressure and your fork correctly. Like has been said above, they are a tad small when starting out, but i notice they stretch a bit with use.

The current bikepacking setup is a ridged 26in singlespeed with a 560gr 2.4 X-King Racesport front and a 470gr 2.2 Race King Supersonic rear.

Weight aside, the advantage of the Protection, is... well, more protection. And the Supersonic, more supple suspension.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: