Thanks Toby I just checked your blog out and gleaned some good info. Thanks again.
I'm leaning towards a Revelate Viscacha seat bag with a bar bag and a small frame bag at this point.
After weighing the options, that's the combination I recently chose for my setup... pretty much all Revelate: Visacha w/ Spocket, Small Tangle, Sling & Pocket on the front. I also got a Gas Tank, although it doesn't work with the Velcro position of the Small Tangle. In that case I got a smaller Bontrager box, about the size of a Bento.
For me, the #1 consideration was flexibility. Going this route, I can use any combination of these bags on any one of five different bikes:
- Roubaix carbon road - shorter/faster/lighter trips
- Flyte Arsenal titanium road - longer/casual trips
- Tricross aluminum - mixed road/gravel
- Rockhopper Hardtail - mixed gravel/trail
- Epic Carbon FS - all or rough trail. (Everything but the Tangle fits the FS)
I can quite literally go anywhere that some kind of bike can be pedaled (or pushed!) and I don't have to get racks for all these different combinations. If I do decide to go on a longer trip and need more gear than frame bags can handle, I have front/rear racks for my Tricross and can borrow panniers from a friend.