Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods on: July 08, 2012, 01:58:13 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

This is a cross post from MTBR but incase you guys don't frequent their forum:

I've been making frame bags for awhile now using the standard design and assembly methods:  Padded downtube/seat tube, 1" & 2" velcro straps as attachment points, all different pocket configurations, etc.  A few of the problems I've recognized along the way have been frame wear, excessive stress on attachment points, time consuming install/removal, etc.  I've been trying out some different methods and have been pretty happy with the configuration below so I thought I'd share.

Some key features:
-2.25" plastic support with 1/8" Foam padding slides into a dedicated sleeve on the seat tube and downtube.  The support/padding is drilled for the waterbottle bolts, as is the bag, so they the bolts themselves hold the bag in place.

-Shock cord is laced through loops on the top of the bag.  This serves a few functions.  One, it's suuuper quick to install/remove/adjust.  When unzipped the shock cord pulls the top of the bag up and open to facilitate easier packing and removal of gear.  Third, and probably the most important, is that what the bag is overloaded and grows in width the shock cord stretches to accomodate the change in dimensions and doesn't put unnecessary stress on velcro attachment points. 

-Rather than make a full size zippered map pocket on the NDS I made a smaller pocket that uses half the material and since it's non structural (sewn over the structural layer) I was able to use a lighter weight#5 zipper.  Now I can quickly access phone/small tool, wallet, etc. without digging deep into the bag.  The #5 is also much smoother operating. 

What would I do different next time? Have the plastic pieces slide in from the bottom rather than the top.  Use 3/4" or 1" nylon webbing loops much shorter in length rather than the 1" paracord loops.

Here are some photos.  Suggestions and criticisms welcome.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:23:14 PM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »

I like creative thinking.  thumbsup

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:28:49 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »

creativity, aesthetics, and functionality.  i really like that.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:29 AM
JerryW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »

That's a good looking frame pack. I like the plastic stiffener using the water bottle bolts(that's how I made mine), but I especially like the shock cord lacing on the top. Very clever!

Jerry

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:50:54 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Very cool, super clean look, and clever thinking with the shock cord to accommodate growth and reduce joint stress.  Depending on the bike (and what you're comfortable with) you could add water bottle bosses on the underside of the top tube and use the same system at ST and DT.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:04 AM
taffer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

I think this is my first post and I use to leave here my congratulations ! Really clean and clever design.

Thanks for sharing !

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:51 PM
WalksOn2Wheels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »

I really dig this. I saw something similar on Cjell Money's bike (2012 NoBo TD winner?) on his blog here: http://cjellmoney.wordpress.com/

Look further down for his TD prep and he made some cuben fiber bags that he laced to the frame with paracord. I liked it over lots of flaps and velcro and like the shock cord idea a lot. I may be getting ready to make another bag soon for my new bike, so I'll have to consider this.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:14:09 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys!  Totally appreciate it. Now let's seem some improved upon variations!

JerryW - I remember seeing your flickr account last year and dog eared it in my mind!  Great idea and your execution was insanely clean.  Like really--one of the best setups I've seen.

WO2W - I thought about paracord, but wanted something flexible that would allow for dimensional distortion.  Landed on shock cord and it's been working very well.

Regarding the plastic pieces.  Initially I used a plastic sign I got at home depot that I've been using for my top tube bags and 1/8" padding glued onto that.  I've since moved on to corrugated plastic and like it much better.  It's stiffer, super light and provides an good amount of frame protection.  Unfortunately you'll need longer water bottle bolts.  They're cheap though and you can pick them up at the hardware store.

I haven't weight the bag but I'm certain it's 2/3 of the weight of my other bags.  It's very light and very quick to remove/install.  I'm only using one bolt on each tube for around town use since I have velcro at the ends for the zipper.  On longer trips I'd use all 4 bolts.

My inspiration for the shock cord was my Goal0 Rock out Speaker.  I was attaching the speaker to my handlebars for a cruise with some friends and thought "this would be perfect for the top of a frame bag".  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:12:07 PM by thesergeant » Logged

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 06:03:14 PM
SwillyBear

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

Wow this is an awesome design!! If you dont mind I kind of want to copy it. Can you show me some pictures of the sleeves and plastic inserts.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Very innovative.

SwillyBear

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:16:00 PM
T-manTorin

Share the Adventure!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »

Really nice job!  Love the innovation here.......  Really clean and looks incredible!

Explore on Bikes .......  and Share the Adventure!

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:08 PM
T-manTorin

Share the Adventure!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »

Another thought on Frame wear for you guys with carbon frames.  I built some bags for a friend of mine who has a carbon frame and was really cautious not wanting to cause integrity issues with the frame.  I was concerned with the frame wear caused by most dirt and trail debris getting between the frame and straps and acting like sandpaper.  I used a clear Poly tape on the frame where the straps are.  The tape will not break down from heat or UV and it says it remains stable on the packing info.  The tape peals off the frame without leaving a residue..... at lease so far......  This is just a trial run but so far so good.   This type of application is for those who are keeping their bags on for long periods.   Just ideas for thought here.  I found the tape at ACE HARDWARE.  It's called Ace Poly Tape Clear -  Catalog ID: 40131335  Mfg#: 50-43221
I hope it proves to be a good solution for frame wear.

Explore on Bikes .......  and Share the Adventure!

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 01:45:27 PM
bpblondie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

thesergeant - thank you for sharing your setup. I love this design and will likely use this on my next bag. With the criss-cross design I can see myself stashing a few gel packets on the top tube for easy access.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:57:29 PM
thesergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »

Thanks!  A word of advice to those of you who are going to borrow some of the design features.  I suggest using 3/4" or even 1/2" nylon webbing in place of the paracord.  I went on a 500 mi tour a couple weeks ago and decide to use the frame bag in it's "prototype" form.  On the 4th day one of the loops pulled out.  I realized when I took the bag off once we got to camp that I never melted the ends of the paracord so they ended up unfraying.  Not a big deal and I planned on sewing in nylon webbing on the next version anyway.  So remember, melt those edges to keep it from unraveling !

All in all, the setup preformed flawless, as expected.  I got a lot of questions about my setup from other touring cyclists as well.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 11:37:54 AM
brankulo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »

has anyone else used this attachment method? i really like the idea

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 05:55:31 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »

I am just getting into making my own bags and 1 design feature that I want to use is the bottle braze on mounting method. I didn't want to do it on my first bag since I was just learning. Maybe I should have just gone for it. since the velcro was one of the tougher parts of the build. My next bag will definitely use this method. I also like the top tube mounting. Does this work well for off road use too? Thanks

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:32 PM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »

Here's mine. Daisy chain of 1" webbing around the perimeter of the frame bag, and paracord to lash it to the frame tubes. Works great. A bit of a PITA to put on & take off (like lacing a shoe with 7'-8' of shoelace), but not that bad, and it's not as though it's on & off frequently. And plenty of paracord available in case of emergency.

I don't run a gas tank but it'd be easy to route the paracord to accommodate any velcro attachment straps.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:22:10 PM
brankulo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »

made half frame bag for my road bike using shock cord method. i think this is much better attachment design than velcro. i would say it will work great for mtb too. i am making another bag for my fatty and will use this method. the problem with velcro is also that it wears the finish on your frame.

* IMG_7734.JPG (145.69 KB, 636x477 - viewed 3548 times.)

* IMG_7735.JPG (153.83 KB, 636x477 - viewed 3548 times.)

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:46 PM
plesurnpain

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »

I guess I better give it a go. Mine is for my Mukluk. The process is both fun and frustrating. I learned a lot on the first bag and can't wait for round 2.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 07:31:47 AM
brankulo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »

The process is both fun and frustrating. I learned a lot on the first bag and can't wait for round 2.

exactly, takes a lot of practice, my biggest problem still is finishing inside with grosgrain. no matter what it keeps twisting and bunching on me.

Topic Name: Frame Bags: Experimenting with Different Attachment Methods Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:37 PM
Soft Pedal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »

exactly, takes a lot of practice, my biggest problem still is finishing inside with grosgrain. no matter what it keeps twisting and bunching on me.
Crossgrain is a real pain in the ass, especially on curved edges like pogies...
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: