Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Rules Fun Challenges on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:04 AM
RyterFanClub

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:04 AM »

I'm just a spectator. I check on my brother (Jarral Ryter) every day. I read through the discussion in case someone knows something about him. I really wish you had taken your rules discussion to a different thread. It detracts greatly from the Tour Divide. It is not positive. It is getting destructive. You are losing sight of what these riders are doing, and why they do it.

In my day job I am a strategic analyst - a problem solver. I work on "sticky problems" things that can't be solved.

Your rules problem isn't that hard. You need rules for any organized activity. You have objectives for your activity. I'm assuming that your objectives are to give a very few extreme outdoor athletes a venue. There is no prize or earnings from this activity. There is no greater good accomplished by doing it one way or another. It is an accomplishment that less than one millionth of the population will achieve to even finish, and really, everyone who attempts and particularly EVERYONE who finishes should be included in the achievement. More interest and positive vibes are considered good in my analysis. I will also assume that participant health an safety are your greatest non-negotiable requirement.

The solution is to have each person's result posted as it was achieved and the merits speak for themselves.
- Riders leave at the same time. They ride as fast as they can. They do as much of it without support as they can.
- Riders do the whole route as laid out in one shot.
- Riders keep a log of all the help they received. This log is posted as part of their achievement.
- Riders keep a log of all the hardships they endured. This log is posted as part of their achievement.
- Spectators from home towns, families, friends are all welcome to cheer for as many riders at as many points on the route as they want to.
- Riders use what ever bike or gear they want and report it in their gear log.

And just leave it at that. 

If your fastest finisher was on a $50,000 bike and stayed in a hotel every night -then there you are.
If your tenth fastest finisher had a bad crash on day 4 and stayed in the woods every night but 1 -then there you are.
If your 12'th fastest finisher had three major bike problems, and had to have his wife bring him a new inhaler because his quit working, then there you are.
If your last finisher was 75 years old, and met his son every night of the trip to ensure he was ok - then there you are.

Maybe spectators could "like" the riders they thought did the most amazing ride. And maybe the other extreme bikers could "salute" the riders they thought were the most pure in their achievement.

One thing for sure - most of your riders are very positive people. It is sad to see the event coverage with such continuous negative speculation and rules baiting.

Topic Name: Rules Fun Challenges Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:37 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »

i spent a little time in the world of backpacking.  the people who complete the appalachian trail, a ~2200 mile hike, also find ways to distinguish themselves, and to look down on others.  it's just the way people are.  the people who feel the greatest need to argue and put others down are usually the ones who have the most pathetic lives, so i usually feel sorry for them.  try not to let it bother you.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: